Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Minnesota scroller
    • Jun 2006

Tape pulling slivers

I just ran into a porblem with my blue painter's tape pulling slivers out of the wood when I remove the tape. I'm using 1/8" BB ply and the tape is on for no more than 15 or 20 minutes. When I pull the tape up, it pulls slices of wood up with it. Of course, this leaves nasty thin gouges in my project. My roll of tape is near the end so I'm wondering if the tape is stickier at the end or if it's my plywood. It sure is frustrating.
    Mike

Making sawdust with a Dremel 1680.
    www.picturetrail.com/naturephotos
  • MikeDingas
    • Aug 2006

I had similiar problem but not using tape. Just photo adhesive on the paper pattern. In areas with not much wood between cuts, I notices thin slivers had peeled off. I too was using a 1/8" baltic birch plywood. Don't know what can be done about it, though.
    Mike

Craftsman 16" VS, Puros Indios and Sam Adams!
    Scrollin' since Jun/2006

My Gallery

http://scrollcrafters.com (reciprocal links welcomed)

Comment

• Tony Burns
      • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Minnesota scroller
      I just ran into a porblem with my blue painter's tape pulling slivers out of the wood when I remove the tape. I'm using 1/8" BB ply and the tape is on for no more than 15 or 20 minutes. When I pull the tape up, it pulls slices of wood up with it. Of course, this leaves nasty thin gouges in my project. My roll of tape is near the end so I'm wondering if the tape is stickier at the end or if it's my plywood. It sure is frustrating.
      One of the problems with Baltic Birch plywood ( especially the 2.5 mm ) is the way the wood is actually peeled off of the log in the veenering process (rotationally), its cell structure is radically damaged in the process and sometimes ( depending on the tree ) the fibers easily pull out - one thing to try might be to take the stickness out of the tape by put it on a piece of cloth and removing it a few times - the cloth fibers will take away some of its surface area ( less sticky ) something else to try might be to pull it sideways across the grain rather than with the grain . Sometimes , the grain pulls out, or the plys separate - reguardless of what you do - what really stinks is when you get into a large project thats very time comsuming and this happens - Hope this helps a bit.

Tony Burns
      Scrollsawpuzzles.com

Comment

• Minnesota scroller
        • Jun 2006

Thanks Tony, I'll try your ideas. Luckily, I was only stack cutting some fairly simple ornaments so not much was wasted.

BTW, with your knowledge, you should come out of hiding more often.
        Mike

Comment

• Paul S WI
          Member - Level 2
          • Dec 2005

Mike - when I start to notice that problem I dab just a little mineral spirits on and after a 15 seconds or so tape comes off with no problem. ~Paul

Paul S.

Comment

• William Young (SE BC)
            Scroller/Turner
            • Dec 2005

Mike;
            Use the 2" wide purple (mauve) tape . It has the least adhesion of all the masking tapes and will not cause that problem yet it still sticks enough to hold through out the cutting.
            I have used it for years and just picked up a couple more rolls when I made a trip to USA yesterday. It costs a little more but is well worth the difference.
            W.Y.
            http://www.picturetrail.com/willyswoodcrafting

The task ahead of us is never as great as the power behind us

Delta P-20 Scroll Saw, 14" x 43" Craftex Wood Lathe and Jet 10" Mini Lathe .

Comment

• Paul S WI
              Member - Level 2
              • Dec 2005

Bill is right. I have started using the Purple with very good results. Once Blue is gone I will be sticking with the Purple. ~Paul

Paul S.

Comment

• Minnesota scroller
                • Jun 2006

Great. I've still got 2 new rolls of 2" blue on hand. I've never been real happy with the blue. Even with the 1/4" BB I've had to lightly sand after pulling the tape off. I'll definitely remember this different color. Thanks guys.

BTW, this was some tough tape to find online. I did find a couple sources and they refer to it as low tack faux tape, not painter's tape.
                Last edited by Minnesota scroller; 11-21-2006, 10:08 PM.
                Mike

Comment

• CanadianScroller
                  ********* CUT IT OUT
                  • Feb 2005

You might try zapping the wood and tape in the microwave for 10 seconds or so to soften up the glue.
                  CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
                  "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
                  Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

• Daryl185
                    Registered User - Level 2
                    • May 2006

my 2 cents I quit using tape on my wood as it seemed kinda redundant I just spray the backs of my patterns with glue wait 15 sec and apply when its time to remove it I just spray or brush on some mineral spirits and off comes the paper with very little glue residue left on the wood
                    Daryl S. Walters Psycotic scroller with a DeWalt 788

Comment

• Rolf
                      The WoodMeister
                      • Apr 2005

I know this subject pops up periodicaly I gave up blue tape for the clear contact brand contact paper. Cheap, just enough sticky, doesnt damage the wood, no stinky solvents. Bonus you can cover a large are with one piece.
                      Did I mention cheap.
                      Rolf
                      RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
                      Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
                      Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
                      And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

• ozarkhillbilly
                        Super Moderator
                        • Nov 2005

Those slivers and tearout where one of the main reasons I quit using the tape and went with spraying my pattern with adhesive then applying directly to the wood. Like its been mentioned a little bit of mineral spirits and up it comes. There are many different thoughts of school on this subject too.

Here is a link to a previous thread........http://www.scrollsawer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7520
                        Bill

DeWalt 788

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

God gives us only what we can handle.. Apparently God thinks I am one tough cookie.....

Comment

• BobD (Archive)
                          -
                          Registered User - Level 2
                          • Aug 2004

As far as stinky solvents...I've started using Goo Gone; it's relatively inexpensive, comes in a spray bottle (which makes application simple) and smells of oranges.

I also use clear packaging tape on my Baltic birch...with a blast of Goo Gone, it's gone!

Bob

Comment

• owler
                            Guy with tools
                            • Nov 2005

Clear contact paper has been working for me and is cheaper.

I have looked for the purple tape in Lowes and Home Depot and can't find it.
                            Dan

-Just do'in the best I can every day

Comment

• Mick Walker
                              • Jan 2005

I found the purple tape at Wal-Mart. I use Finnish BB plywood and have never had a problem with splinters.
                              Mick, - Delta P-20

A smile is a small curve that straightens everything out.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• bradleyheathhays
                                Decorating Horse Farms (w/ pic)
                                by bradleyheathhays
                                Hey everybody. I'm in the heart of horse country here in Kentucky and I'm lucky enough to have some inroads to some prominent farms. Basically my buddies on these farms know I'm a woodworker and are saying 'show me what ya got.' Secret thing is...I don't really have that much (shhh). Recently I made...
                                Today, 03:49 PM
                              • Tlhausmann
                                Reply to Bad Bad Bad decisions: ShopSmith
                                by Tlhausmann
                                ] I have an idea for that and a preliminary drawing that will allow me to connect to my Festool vac but from the left side of the saw. It will be 3d printed if I ever finish it,

That would be cool to see...
                                Today, 03:41 PM
                              • Rolf
                                by Rolf
                                I have an idea for that and a preliminary drawing that will allow me to connect to my Festool vac but from the left side of the saw. It will be 3d printed if I ever finish it,...
                                Today, 03:28 PM
                              • hotshot
                                by hotshot
                                What I would like to see . . . instead of a bunch of copy cats, is to see companies innovate. Pegas, Jet, and Seyco did do this some. If I were King or the others, I would be coming up with a dust collection mechanisms that didn't use that membrane.
                                Today, 03:21 PM
                              • Sandy Oaks
                                ArtCrafters Scroll Saw - Loyalty Program
                                by Sandy Oaks
                                I am not sure where to post this, but here goes. I started a Loyalty Program - When you log in, you will become a site member and receive 25 points. Each 10 points worth $1 towards purchase. Go to: https://www.artcraftersonline.com/
                                Today, 01:23 PM
                              Working...