Just Sayin'-Tips for Newbies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just Sayin'-Tips for Newbies

It's not a mistake if you get off the pattern line on the WASTE side of the cut.

White spray paint and clear sealer cans look IDENTICAL without the lids.

About the time you say to yourself "This blade sure has lasted a while", you WILL smell smoke.

Keep a lid on your drink in the shop--ESPECIALLY when sanding.

When cutting thick stock, pay attention to relationship of your fingers and the blade holder knobs.

Finishes NEVER dry as fast as the label claims.

Paint thinner on a rag will help you find EVERY cut and nick on your fingers.

A #5 reverse blade (at 1200 strokes per minute) is NOT an acceptable way to trim your fingernails.

There are others good tips, but you will have to wait for them to re-occur.

Just Sayin'
    Jim
    When looking at the clock at work--the correct time is:
    Too early to leave, too late to call in.

Hey Jim - Sounds like I'm not the only one who learns from experience. I like the one about trimming the fingernails. Every time I try to grow mine, I seem to trim them working in the shop. The last time, I trimmed them with a belt sander. MeThinks that the scrollsaw is less painful.

Another tip: Whenever you want to get something done quickly, it WILL add more work to the project.
    www.wix.com/tangowooddesign/home-page

Comment

I used to have long nails, a holdover from my much younger days of biting them. I once asked my son in law to teach me guitar, he said you have to cut your nails. I gave up the guitar. I bought a scroll saw, now I think I am ready for the guitar since my nails are so short now. Unfortunately the son in law is gone... ha ha ha

Comment

Clear sealer and spray glue look the same.

It's all fun
        Terry
        Craftsman 18"
        Delta 46-460 lathe

https://www.facebook.com/SillyLillyBowsAndMore

Comment

I don't know how many times I have picked up my glass and seen sawdust in it................and drank it anyway.
          It's only a mistake if someone saw you do it.

It's not about what saw you drive. It's about the skill you drive it with.

Jim

Comment

I had nails and knuckles before I started intarsia.
            Rolf
            RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
            Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
            Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
            And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

A little sawdust in your drink just adds some fiber to your diet.

Comment

Don't put anything there "for now", you will soon be up to your a## in "for now's".
                Gloria ............... Two memorable things to say in life, "Hello" for the first time, and "Good-bye" for the last.

Comment

Originally posted by western.flyer View Post
                  I don't know how many times I have picked up my glass and seen sawdust in it................and drank it anyway.
                  A true wood worker has sawdust in his/her blood - and under his nails, in his hair, his eyes, & most pockets on his clothes.

Tony
                  The good woodworker does not craft the wood for honor. He uses his craft to honor the wood.

Comment

Tony

I must be a real wood worker.

Larry

Comment

Originally posted by tgiro View Post
                      A true wood worker has sawdust in his/her blood - and under his nails, in his hair, his eyes, & most pockets on his clothes.

Tony

Well that's why I drink it anyway. Sanding small parts on the bench sander takes care of my nails and a woodturners smock keeps it outta my pockets so I'm permitted to come inside the house now, Momma don't like sawdust and wood chips all over the floor and furniture.
                      It's only a mistake if someone saw you do it.

It's not about what saw you drive. It's about the skill you drive it with.

Jim

Comment

Here's another one that I learned this morning...
                        Never use the spray adhesive anywhere near the top of the scrollsaw.
                        www.wix.com/tangowooddesign/home-page

Comment

You made me laugh.... my husband was making fun of me because when I am done for the evening I get out the shop vac and clean up as much as I can.... his idea of cleaning up is using the leaf blower.
                          Brenda

Brenda's Blog (This is a little bit of everything, Scrapbooking, Crocheting, Crafting, Wood Crafting)

Brenda's Gallery

"If you are not always busy something is wrong!"

Comment

Three cheers for the leaf blower. Not only for myself but the whole shop too!

Comment

Brenda, your husband is right. I tried the shop vac, it got about 75% of the mess. Opening the door and using a leaf blower gets all of it. If your workshop is in the garage always move the car(s) away from the door before turning it on. Just saying.

Jan
                              Last edited by Jan; 08-28-2012, 01:48 PM.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• will8989
                                Reply to Planer and jointer opinions wanted
                                by will8989
                                Our super max has been making a noise that sounds like paper caught but we can’t pinpoint anything. Cleaned what we could, Bruce used dry lubricant, which sounds like an oxymoron to me, and still makes the noise. Started quietly now is louder. Any suggestions before we call for warranty work? I’m...
                                Today, 01:57 PM
                              • Don in Brooklin On
                                Virtual Wood Show
                                by Don in Brooklin On
                                Due to Covid-19 all events in Ontario have been cancelled including the Wood Show in Toronto. It was a great event but this year it is going to go virtual.

They will have a number of seminars and the ability to tour vendor sites. Not sure how it all works. It will be FREE but you can pay...
                                Today, 12:56 PM
                              • cwmagee
                                Reply to Winter issue
                                by cwmagee
                                Got mine yesterday. Regarding Christmas Items I seem to recall a few years ago that they moved up the Holiday related items to the Fall Issue to give us more time to make.

It was great to see all of the variety of designs and contributors available...
                                Today, 12:09 PM
                              • Jim McDonald
                                Reply to Winter issue
                                by Jim McDonald
                                Got mine yesterday and I was a bit disappointed by the lack of Christmas in the issue. Like Rolf, I loved the winter issue for the ornaments.
                                And Carole's bowl is quite interesting.
                                Today, 11:26 AM
                              • will8989
                                Reply to Conversation with grandson
                                by will8989
                                Scott, you can’t make this stuff up. Just wish I was closer to my 4 in Texas. One day I’ll write an article about my son quitting his job 5 weeks ago. He’s been doing a lot with mushrooms, the legal ones, and is on Utube and is now getting paid more than he was working by Adsense and his eBay...
                                Today, 10:24 AM
                              Working...
                              X