Anyone Cut mat board?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone Cut mat board?

I am a semi-pro photographer and I frame my photos with mat board. Would like to know if anyone has used a scroll saw to cut designs in a mat board and if so, what size/type blade would you use?
    Last edited by joevm; 07-09-2012, 11:42 AM.

I'm not a photographer, nor have I ever used mat board, but I'll take a stab at this one anyway.

From what I know about mat board, compared to wood or plywood, it would be pretty soft and offer little resistance to a blade, so I would probably use the smallest, least aggressive blade I had. The most common would be a 2/0 reverse tooth blade. This would allow you to easily cut very fine detail, but may be a little more difficult to follow long straight lines than a larger blade. If the design wasn't all that intricate or detailed, then a larger blade, perhaps a #3 reverse tooth, would work well, but would be somewhat more aggressive, thus a little harder to control, so you will want to turn the speed down (presuming the saw is variable speed) pretty low.

Hope this helps.
    Homer : "Oh, and how is education supposed to make me feel smarter. Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain."

Comment

I might give the Flying Dutchmen superior puzzle blade a try. It is very small and not very aggressive.
      "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
      Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

I am not sure how soft it is because when you cut it with a knife it has a nice cleanfinish.
        I would put a backer under it for support and give it a shot with you favorite blade that gives you the best finish. I think being a cardboard base it will kill the blades.
        Rolf
        RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
        Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
        Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
        And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

I use a matt cutter. Straight lines or ovals only. I am interested to see how you do with a scroll saw since a matt cut to match elements in the picture might be interesting. Holding a bevel might be a challenge.
          Ron

My sawdust gallery

Comment

I have cut some paper before--not too detailed an image--but had very good luck with the puzzle blade previously mentioned and when I was doing stacks of stuff (3/4" of copy paper for a school project) I got by with a FD#3 Ultra Reverse.

I might try using a sacrificial piece of think cardboard or even thin plywood on top and bottom to reduce fuzzies and give a little better control.
            Jim
            When looking at the clock at work--the correct time is:
            Too early to leave, too late to call in.

Comment

My thought would be the same as Jim's. Sandwich the mat between two pieces of something solid like plywood or hardboard.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
              X