Uses for used scroll saw blades???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uses for used scroll saw blades???

I've been pitching all my used blades in the trash but today when reading the forum, my mind began to wander when I read cpowell's post titled "Picture frame saw blades" I started thinking about making a picture frame from saw blades. And then from there, the imagination jumped to other possible uses. Maybe use them to make a porcupine or incorporate them into some intarsia.

Since I prefer to reuse as much as possible, I'd like to know what you do or can imagine doing with old scroll saw blades.
    Mtnman Jim

taking life as it comes and trying to make the best of it

Originally posted by mtnman View Post
    I've been pitching all my used blades in the trash but today when reading the forum, my mind began to wander when I read cpowell's post titled "Picture frame saw blades" I started thinking about making a picture frame from saw blades. And then from there, the imagination jumped to other possible uses. Maybe use them to make a porcupine or incorporate them into some intarsia.

Since I prefer to reuse as much as possible, I'd like to know what you do or can imagine doing with old scroll saw blades.
    Don't forget toothpicks and other hard to reach places. LOL
    May the wind at you back .....
    Not be from Lunch.

Don't take life too seriously; No one gets out alive.

Beauty is in the eye of the BEERHOLDER

Visit My Gallery

Oily's Gallery

http://www.picturetrail.com/oily11

Comment

i use my used blades for clearing the saw dust trapped in the cuts of a project,also for picking out small pieces
      not doing much
      and busy doing it

having fun making sawdust.

http://www.customcutz4you.webs.com/

Comment

You have good ideas Jim; I like the porcupine one. I'll be saving my old blades from now on. I'm kind of liking the frame idea tool.
        I'll be thinking on other ideas that might come to mind later.

Comment

I feel like I am turning them back to nature so they can add iron to the soil in the land fill.
          Pacifism is great, as long as everyone is participating.

StephenD

The Southern Arizona Woodturners Association
          Desert Woodcrafters
          Grandpa for the 7 most amazing children.

Comment

They are great for getting glue in hard to reach places like touching up a backer on Intarsia

Comment

I had a thought one time, told my friend, and they looked at me like I had just lost my mind. Take used blades, turn upside down and glue the now tops together (the teeth should be pointing up). Spread the bottoms out like a tee p . take the gold wire that the blades are wrapped with and wrap it around the blades as gold roping around a Christmas tree, then hang bits of wood from the wire. Ha,ha, at least I can't see your faces laughing. After my friend laughed at my idea I have like Stephen D said, adding rust to the landfill.
              Fran

Comment

Maybe I'm just weird but the Christmas tree idea appeals to me too. ha ha ha
                It might make a nice part of the display during Christmas sale shows.

Okay, truth is I'm a lot weird or so my wife says...

Comment

Use them as spike boards for speeders.

George

Comment

Love the tree idea, Fran! Oily -- as a toothpick, they can also remove plaque. George -- they might be spikes for soapbox derby sized cars.

Fun ideas!!!
                    Mtnman Jim

taking life as it comes and trying to make the best of it

Comment

i’ve just though about this idea….i think i’ll make me a ‘glueing board’ from my leftover blades..i know i’ve seen many scrollers use staples or brads thru 1/4in thick material to place the pattern on and spray the adhesive on, and i’ve been wondering when i was gonna get around to making one myself…..i’ve been saving my blades, so i think i’ll get an egg carton, and start on it soon…..thanx ya’ll for getting my thinking cap boost started

Comment

Originally posted by mtnman View Post
                        Love the tree idea, Fran! Oily -- as a toothpick, they can also remove plaque. George -- they might be spikes for soapbox derby sized cars.

Fun ideas!!!

Jim thought of toothpicks first

Comment

Originally posted by stephenD View Post
                          I feel like I am turning them back to nature so they can add iron to the soil in the land fill.
                          that means you think they'll do the most good ORE they won't.
                          ORE send them to Paul Harvey for the Rust of the story.
                          I am so sorry it's the drugs talking. There goes the hydrocodone again.
                          "Go get another beer" "OK" Lose 10 pounds. ........... what? Lose 10 pounds. Knew I should've taken two..
                          May the wind at you back .....
                          Not be from Lunch.

Don't take life too seriously; No one gets out alive.

Beauty is in the eye of the BEERHOLDER

Visit My Gallery

Oily's Gallery

http://www.picturetrail.com/oily11

Comment

Cut the blades in half or cut three pieces. Filr one end to make it sharp like a knife. Put a handle on one end and you got your self a nice little knive. Make a lot and give them away.
                            Or you could sell them for $ 0.10 each.
                            FD Mike
                            SD Mike

Comment

Originally posted by 3_M View Post
                              Cut the blades in half or cut three pieces. Filr one end to make it sharp like a knife. Put a handle on one end and you got your self a nice little knive. Make a lot and give them away.
                              Or you could sell them for $ 0.10 each.
                              FD Mike

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• markdavd
                                Reply to Shrink wrap systems
                                by markdavd
                                I've been using the bags from Amazon and a heat gun my wife bought when she was a preschool teacher. Unless you are wrapping of small parts, you don't need a sealer. Just fold it over and hold it with a small piece of scotch tape on the back. After you shrink it it's sealed enough to keep everything...
                                Today, 09:45 AM
                              • NC Scroller
                                by NC Scroller
                                My process is a bit different. Since I am using heat shrink bags when you seal the open end you trap a lot of air in them. When you start to heat the bag to shrink it you create a large bubble. I continue to heat the bag until it does pop a hole. I have been doing this for years. The shrink wrap...
                                Today, 07:42 AM
                              • will8989
                                by will8989
                                None Linda. You need to find the right heat temp so it shrinks but doesn’t put a hole in the wrap but the tape doesn’t shrink or tear.
                                Today, 12:20 AM
                              • Linda In Phoenix
                                by Linda In Phoenix
                                What thickness of film seems to work the best for puzzles?
                                The bags seem easier on the surface.
                                But the film seems like it is more versatile on size variations.
                                Yesterday, 03:24 PM
                              • will8989
                                Reply to Bruce, the one on probation
                                by will8989
                                Regulations are 150 square feet, this will be 144 square feet so we are good. He’s making it that size Since the sheets are 4’ wide. And the Shelves need to be 4” above my head!! It will be very specific.
                                Yesterday, 10:32 AM
                              Working...
                              X