Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Uses for used scroll saw blades???

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Uses for used scroll saw blades???

    I've been pitching all my used blades in the trash but today when reading the forum, my mind began to wander when I read cpowell's post titled "Picture frame saw blades" I started thinking about making a picture frame from saw blades. And then from there, the imagination jumped to other possible uses. Maybe use them to make a porcupine or incorporate them into some intarsia.

    Since I prefer to reuse as much as possible, I'd like to know what you do or can imagine doing with old scroll saw blades.
    Mtnman Jim

    taking life as it comes and trying to make the best of it

  • #2
    Originally posted by mtnman View Post
    I've been pitching all my used blades in the trash but today when reading the forum, my mind began to wander when I read cpowell's post titled "Picture frame saw blades" I started thinking about making a picture frame from saw blades. And then from there, the imagination jumped to other possible uses. Maybe use them to make a porcupine or incorporate them into some intarsia.

    Since I prefer to reuse as much as possible, I'd like to know what you do or can imagine doing with old scroll saw blades.
    Don't forget toothpicks and other hard to reach places. LOL
    May the wind at you back .....
    Not be from Lunch.

    Don't take life too seriously; No one gets out alive.

    Beauty is in the eye of the BEERHOLDER

    Visit My Gallery

    Oily's Gallery

    http://www.picturetrail.com/oily11

    Comment


    • #3
      i use my used blades for clearing the saw dust trapped in the cuts of a project,also for picking out small pieces
      not doing much
      and busy doing it


      having fun making sawdust.


      http://www.customcutz4you.webs.com/

      Comment


      • #4
        You have good ideas Jim; I like the porcupine one. I'll be saving my old blades from now on. I'm kind of liking the frame idea tool.
        I'll be thinking on other ideas that might come to mind later.

        Comment


        • #5
          I feel like I am turning them back to nature so they can add iron to the soil in the land fill.
          Pacifism is great, as long as everyone is participating.



          StephenD


          The Southern Arizona Woodturners Association
          Desert Woodcrafters
          Grandpa for the 7 most amazing children.

          Comment


          • #6
            They are great for getting glue in hard to reach places like touching up a backer on Intarsia

            Comment


            • #7
              I had a thought one time, told my friend, and they looked at me like I had just lost my mind. Take used blades, turn upside down and glue the now tops together (the teeth should be pointing up). Spread the bottoms out like a tee p . take the gold wire that the blades are wrapped with and wrap it around the blades as gold roping around a Christmas tree, then hang bits of wood from the wire. Ha,ha, at least I can't see your faces laughing. After my friend laughed at my idea I have like Stephen D said, adding rust to the landfill.
              Fran

              Comment


              • #8
                Maybe I'm just weird but the Christmas tree idea appeals to me too. ha ha ha
                It might make a nice part of the display during Christmas sale shows.

                Okay, truth is I'm a lot weird or so my wife says...

                Comment


                • #9
                  Use them as spike boards for speeders.

                  George

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Love the tree idea, Fran! Oily -- as a toothpick, they can also remove plaque. George -- they might be spikes for soapbox derby sized cars.

                    Fun ideas!!!
                    Mtnman Jim

                    taking life as it comes and trying to make the best of it

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      i’ve just though about this idea….i think i’ll make me a ‘glueing board’ from my leftover blades..i know i’ve seen many scrollers use staples or brads thru 1/4in thick material to place the pattern on and spray the adhesive on, and i’ve been wondering when i was gonna get around to making one myself…..i’ve been saving my blades, so i think i’ll get an egg carton, and start on it soon…..thanx ya’ll for getting my thinking cap boost started

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by mtnman View Post
                        Love the tree idea, Fran! Oily -- as a toothpick, they can also remove plaque. George -- they might be spikes for soapbox derby sized cars.

                        Fun ideas!!!

                        Jim thought of toothpicks first

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by stephenD View Post
                          I feel like I am turning them back to nature so they can add iron to the soil in the land fill.
                          that means you think they'll do the most good ORE they won't.
                          ORE send them to Paul Harvey for the Rust of the story.
                          I am so sorry it's the drugs talking. There goes the hydrocodone again.
                          "Go get another beer" "OK" Lose 10 pounds. ........... what? Lose 10 pounds. Knew I should've taken two..
                          May the wind at you back .....
                          Not be from Lunch.

                          Don't take life too seriously; No one gets out alive.

                          Beauty is in the eye of the BEERHOLDER

                          Visit My Gallery

                          Oily's Gallery

                          http://www.picturetrail.com/oily11

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Cut the blades in half or cut three pieces. Filr one end to make it sharp like a knife. Put a handle on one end and you got your self a nice little knive. Make a lot and give them away.
                            Or you could sell them for $ 0.10 each.
                            FD Mike
                            SD Mike

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by 3_M View Post
                              Cut the blades in half or cut three pieces. Filr one end to make it sharp like a knife. Put a handle on one end and you got your self a nice little knive. Make a lot and give them away.
                              Or you could sell them for $ 0.10 each.
                              FD Mike

                              Comment

                              Unconfigured Ad Widget

                              Collapse

                              Latest Topics

                              Collapse

                              • Gary beasley
                                Reply to What do you think?
                                by Gary beasley
                                I tried a house vac once for a dust collector. It was prone to clogging the lines and when I tried to put a cyclone can on it the vacuum collapsed the garbage can.
                                Yesterday, 09:29 PM
                              • Gary beasley
                                Reply to Vases
                                by Gary beasley
                                I found this pattern in Steves catalog and freehanded a vase form. This one may appeal to the folks that bought the butterfly vase.
                                ...
                                Yesterday, 09:25 PM
                              • Trackman
                                Reply to Vases
                                by Trackman
                                Sorry took so long to answer. The brown vase I added butterfly instead of doing wood burning. Wanted to keep them so they would appeal to several people. I sold all of them to a flower shop....
                                Yesterday, 05:13 PM
                              • Bill Wilson
                                Reply to My lucky day!
                                by Bill Wilson
                                Being younger than 65, with no qualifying health conditions, I don't anticipate getting a vaccine for some time. My wife works for the school district, so she may be eligible in the next phase. President Biden says that supply will be sufficient for all US adults by end of May. I'm hoping that proves...
                                Yesterday, 04:16 PM
                              • MidMich324
                                Reply to What do you think?
                                by MidMich324
                                Will a shop vac work for the table saw?.
                                Yesterday, 11:26 AM
                              Working...
                              X