GIMP or INKSCAPE?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GIMP or INKSCAPE?

I have downloaded both programs and watched a few tutorials. Now, can those of you who use one or both of these give me advice on which program is better for scroll patterns?

Tony,aka,Toneman

I use both together.
    Don R
    http://www.oldcrowwoodcrafts.weebly.com
    http://www.oldcrowscrollwerks.weebly.com
    Custom Made Scroll Saw Patterns

Comment

They do different things. Which is better depends on what specifically you are doing. I often start out with a raster graphics drawing program (similar to the Gimp) to create an initial sketch and then move to Inkscape to create the actual pattern.

Gimp is good for photo editing. It lets you edit individual pixels and is great for shading and lighting; however, since scrollsaws can't cut smooth gradients it is less useful for pattern making. That said, if you are trying to create a portrait pattern from a photo and want to manipulate the photo to convert the shading into cuttable form then the Gimp is your friend.

Inkscape is a vector graphics editor, so it excels at form. You can use it to move, resize, and edit lines and shapes as whole without losing the concept of the shape. If you are creating a geometric fretwork pattern or a silhouette (for example, for a puzzle) then it is your friend.

For my workflow if I had to pick just one it would be Inkscape. If I did portrait patterns I might prefer the Gimp.

--Rob

Comment

Rob summed it up nicely - its a case of horses for courses.

If you want to turn images into designs for scrolling portraits then pixel (raster) based software such as Gimp is the way to go. If you are looking to draw sharp line art patterns for most general scrolling and fretwork designs then a vector based software such as Inkscape will be your friend.

Just a comment. These days if you use a pen and graphic tablet to draw with instead of a mouse you can almost get away with just using a vector based program for all your scrolling pattern needs since many commercial vector based programs often incorporate some bitmap manipulation techniques which help the process of converting an image into a portrait. However, if you are thinking of staying with freeware then just decide what you want the program to do and choose Gimp or Inkscape, or maybe both of them to cover all your pattern needs.
        Last edited by jim_mex; 07-05-2012, 06:02 PM.
        Jim in Mexico

Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.
        - Albert Einstein

Comment

I scan and convert all my patterns to vector since it then allows changing the size without any loss of detail. Raster isn't as friendly when changing the scale.

My freeware vote would be for Inkscape.

My software of choice right now is Corel X5 due to its autotrace ability for raster images. Through Corel 12, Inkscape gave Corel a run for its money in capability and utilities.
          Steve.
          EX-16, DW-788, Dremel 1680

Comment

I'm an adobe illustrator fan myself. But I find myself using inkscape for my vector work at home. The scalability of vector graphics is hard to beat.

Comment

I use paid for programs for most of my pattern making, but I always use InkScape to cleanup my final pattern and to make it the size I want.

for a little more clarification: If I am making a word art pattern or if I am using several elements to create a pattern I will typically use InkScape, and my other programs, Gimp in your case to make my picture to pattern and then clean it up in InkScape.
              CHRIS

http://www.members.cox.net/messman123/messman.htm

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
              X