Clean Air

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clean Air

Would anyone have sum ideals on makeing a air cleaner form my shop . Money is tight right need to see if I could make some thing to get me by for a while

thank you the saw man
    Hegner

howdy
    not sure what you mean by an air cleaner,but

a simple was to remove dust from the air is to get a cheap box fan and a cheap or expensive air filter from places like home depot.

TApe the filter on the outside (air intake side) and turn it on.

I have a couple of them running and am amazed at how much dust they pike up.

I also have a smaller one about 10" by 10" that i use for quick sanding jobs....

pete
    Last edited by pete00; 11-01-2006, 07:40 AM.
    Pete Ripaldi

---------------------------------
    "Insert Clever Tag Line Here..."

Comment

I am in the process of making my own air cleaner. I purchased a furnace blower and a four poistion switch on e-bay all for under $75. I am having trouble locating a pocket filter. I am waiting for that before I make the box so I know my final dimensions.

I had gotten a link on this forum for a pocket filter but they would not ship from Canada to the US.
      Dan

-Just do'in the best I can every day

Comment

I made mine with a used furnace squirrel cage blower as shown sitting on my scrollsaw stool before assembly. All parts including the blower and the filters and the plywood that I made the box with cost about $125.00 and has the same capacity of any of the $350.00 to $400.00 commercial ones.
        That pocket filter catches an enormous amount of the very fine dust down below 1 micron that goes right through a furnace filter and the furnace type filter on the front catches the bigger dust. It is the fine dust that does the most harm to your lungs
        W.Y.

http://www.picturetrail.com/willyswoodcrafting

The task ahead of us is never as great as the power behind us

Delta P-20 Scroll Saw, 14" x 43" Craftex Wood Lathe and Jet 10" Mini Lathe .

Comment

clean air`

Thank for all the advice guys , a lot of good ideals this has to be one 0f the best web sites i have ever been for help . must be the wood thing we all are in

Thanks again guys
          Hegner

Comment

I don't think anyone has mentioned a downdraft table for sanding.
            Gravity and a fan will keep the dust close to where is comes off the wood.
            I wonder if the same principle could be used on a scroll saw table.
            If the table had a surface with holes in it or built up in the form of a grid with a shopvac underneath it would collect all that dust that we blow off the pattern lines.
            CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
            "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
            Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

I have often thought about putting one of these by my saw table since I have a dust collector, but have not come up with a good solution on how to mount and make sure it does not get in the way.
              Attached Files
              Dan

Comment

This thread gave me insiration to resume my search for an inexpensive pocket filter. I was able to find a source for a 24 X 24 X 26 filter with a 1500 CFM capacity for $30. Smaller versions are available with less CFM capacity. If interested PM me for the URL.
                Last edited by owler; 11-02-2006, 12:42 PM.
                Dan

Comment

Perhaps you can purchase a scroll cage fan or even get one for free from a furnace company/heating contractor. I remember back when I put in a new furnace they took away the old one and the fan still worked. You could even say that it was already in a box with a switch too, and a filter slot...heck, the furnace was only replaced because of the heater core and the level of efficiency. Take away the heater core and basically you have an already made air cleaner. My old furnace was tossed into their recycling bin, and I'm sure that's a common thing...make some phone calls, you may get a free already made air cleaner and only need to purchase some filters.
                  Keep an eye out in your newspaper adds to for old furnaces, air filters, dust collectors..and auctions too. Bought my big dust collector for $50 at an estate sale. Some cities have special papers just for this kind of thing..here it's called the wheeler dealer.
                  Jeff Powell

Comment

Originally posted by owler
                    This thread gave me insiration to resume my search for an inexpensive pocket filter. I was able to find a source for a 24 X 24 X 26 filter with a 1500 CFM capacity for $30. Smaller versions are available with less CFM capacity. If interested PM me for the URL.
                    HELLO
                    I AM READY TO BUILD MY AIR CLEANER NOW . I WAS GOING THOUGHT MY OLD POST AND FOUND THIS ONE WAS JUST WONDERING HOW YOURS TRUNED OUT ?

iNDIANA SAW MAN
                    Hegner

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• will8989
                      Bruce, the one on probation
                      by will8989
                      is doing great in therapy. His range of motion is about 3 weeks ahead of where they expected him to be. He has zero strength in his hand or arm. He tried to grate some cheese, and he couldn’t hold the grater. The doctor had to do repair stitching on the muscle and that will take the longest to heal....
                      Today, 12:59 AM
                    • will8989
                      Sundays market
                      by will8989
                      When we started out, it was 45 deg and rain. When we got there it was 44 deg and rain. By the time we left it stopped raining but was 42 deg. and windy. Luckily we are under cover but that doesn’t stop the wind. I sold 4 baskets, Sealife puzzle and a few other things. I moved the coffee grinders...
                      Today, 12:46 AM
                    • will8989
                      Reply to Dog Puzzle - Aussie
                      by will8989
                      I thought I read you use shrink wrapped bags for your puzzles. Where do you get them from?...
                      Today, 12:27 AM
                    • jim_mex
                      Reply to Carved Fretwork Pumpkin
                      by jim_mex
                      Hey Quartz - thats great scrolling and carving work which the LED lighting sets off a treat - or was that a trick?

Love it!
                      Yesterday, 08:47 PM
                    • KarlB
                      Reply to Carved Fretwork Pumpkin
                      by KarlB
                      Very well done!

Karl
                      Yesterday, 07:36 PM
                    Working...
                    X