Key rings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Key rings

I decided I would make a range of key rings to add to the things I sell at craft fairs. To give an idea of scale the actual key rings are a little over an inch in diameter. I get the designs from Google images, its a great source for ideas for scroll saw work. The hardware i get from e-bay. I will be doing a lot more of these as soon as my other orders from e-bay arrive.
    Attached Files

Nicely done...I get $8.00 for my keychains how about you?
    "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
    Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

I have never bought a key chain and have been asking friends what they would be happy paying. I worked it out from UK pounds to US dollars and it works out $6 a key chain. I know its not a lot but I feel if I increase it I wont sell. I think its one of the biggest problems we face Mike, pricing our stuff. If I worked it out I don't suppose my total outlay would be more than $1 per key chain so its not a bad profit. I don't take into account my time as I am disabled and don't rely on craft fairs for my income. It does however more than pay for my tools and everything else i need to make lots of sawdust.

Comment

I agree with you as far as pricing goes. I do offer a higher priced inlaid one with their initials at $12.00 and they sell really well at that price. Keep on doing what is right for your area.
        "Still Montana Mike"

Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

What a good idea Fretnot. I have to look for keyrings at my local craft store and in my catalogs.

george
          A day without sawdust is a day without sunshine.
          George

delta 650, hawk G426

Comment

Very nice, and I have thought about doing key rings, not to sell, but more as Xmas gifts and whatnot.

Are you smoothing the edges with a router or sanding?

Really like the way you are incorporating the grain on those dolphins...very nice indeed!

Food for thought. I was thinking that if I did do keyrings, I am actually toying with the idea of attaching them to the wood via a small drill hole and a loop. I'm a little nervous about a screw eye either backing out or wollering the hole and then of course falling off.
            Kenny- Experienced splinter getter outer.

Comment

What is the smallest thickness one could cut these at without breaking? Was just curious. Does wood and grain direction make a difference?
              Bill

Dewalt 788 Type 1

Comment

Kenny I was having a problem with the small screw eyes unscrewing. So I just use a small hole in the wood and a split ring. I use 1/4" thick hardwoods.
                Last edited by wood-n-things; 10-02-2012, 08:52 AM.
                "Still Montana Mike"

Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

I just noticed my old post popped up to the front of the queue. The key rings are made from 3/8th hardwood and I round over the edges using a dremel in a dremel router table. I use finishing oil to bring the grain out and the following day give them a wax polish. I was toying with the idea of adding a loop to the designs but thought a large split ring would look out of place so I use a screw in eye that I have found to be quite secure providing the pilot hole is small, I have not had any problems with the screw eyes coming out. If I go any thinner than 3/8th in thickness the wood tends to warp before I can scroll it.

Comment

They look great,like them.They ought to sell good.
                    Tony

Comment

Originally posted by wood-n-things View Post
                      I agree with you as far as pricing goes. I do offer a higher priced inlaid one with their initials at $12.00 and they sell really well at that price. Keep on doing what is right for your area.
                      Wait a minute Mike....Inlay???
                      Ahem...NPDH....
                      Jim

The limits of the imagination are imaginary.
                      No task is too tedious for Art.
                      Rock and Scroll

My Gallery

My Website
                      Featherwood Woodcrafts

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                      X