Supporting woodworking in schools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Supporting woodworking in schools

I just came across this blog...this is definately something we support at Fox...and I thought I'd pass it on!

http://wisdomofhands.blogspot.com/20...esolution.html

Bob
    www.GrobetUSA.com

Good one Bob, thanks!

Another woodworking forum that I am a member of just collected enough money from members to purchase 2 mini-lathes, tools, chucks, etc.... and donated them to a high school wood shop. A couple manufacturers stepped up and donated accessories as well. Getting the next generation involved is priceless!
    ‎"Orphans are easier to ignore before you know their names. They're easier to ignore before you see their faces. It's easier to pretend they're not real before you hold them in your arms. But once you do, everything changes."

D. Platt

Comment

I totally agree! I've heard that a lot of schools are shutting down their shops because of lack of interest...that just makes me sick! I took two years of shop--and had to fight with the guidence counselor before he let me because I was "academic..." not industrial arts! I got my way, and it was wonderful to get down and dirty in the shop...and forget all the intellectual crap for at least one period!

Bob
      www.GrobetUSA.com

Comment

I loved shop class in high school. That was the one thing worth while looking forward too. I'm just naturally adept with woodworking. I built a whiskey Hooka of laminated woods, turned on the lathe. It was so awesome, it had the whiskey chamber, the "tobacco" bowl on top and a long tube, and all the pieces came apart to clean. I got an A on the project until the teacher found out just what I made, then I got an F and was expelled for a week. Worse part was I never got too keep the pipe, or christen it. It's probably being used in the faculty lounge to this very day for all I know...sigh.
        Jeff Powell

Comment

I agree as well! How long until the shop classes are replaced with classes like "PS2 Basics" or "Mastering Video Gaming 101"? Dale
          Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

I made a pistol crossbow in my shop class, that didn't make points with the teaching staff either. First an last weapon made in my old high school. (class of 66) I loved shop class. We had Automotive, Metal and wood. I think that is all gone now.
            Our LI woodworking club has been giving lessons on hand cut dove tails at one of the local schools.
            Rolf
            RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
            Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
            Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
            And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

I'm sure there are less liability issues with classes like those, Dale...

Just heard that one of my coworkers son hurt himself in Shop Class...it sounds like it was kickback from a table saw (the wood flipped up, sliced his thumb open, and pushed it back, breaking it...)...the worst you can expect in PS2 Basics is carpal tunnel syndrome...

Bob
              www.GrobetUSA.com

Comment

Originally posted by BobD

..the worst you can expect in PS2 Basics is carpal tunnel syndrome...

Bob
                Don't you bet on it, Bob. When I was teaching a computer class in England I had one young anima - erm - student pull a monitor off the desk and onto his head ... don't ask how!!!

I guess it was lucky for me that the parents realised whose fault the accident really was!! Unfortunately it did the monitor more harm than the student!

Ian
                Ian

Scrolling with a Dewalt 788

Comment

This is a great thing. I don't know that I would've ever gotten into woodworking had it not been for 6th grade shop class. Most of the schools around here (the richest state in the country to add insult to injury) no longer offer shop classes. I learned woodworking, basic auto-mechanics and many other useful life lessons in these classes. It's a shame that they're not being offered anymore.
                  Kevin
                  Scrollsaw Patterns Online
                  Making holes in wood with an EX-30, Craftsman 16" VS, Dremel 1680 and 1671

Comment

Originally posted by BobD

Just heard that one of my coworkers son hurt himself in Shop Class...it sounds like it was kickback from a table saw (the wood flipped up, sliced his thumb open, and pushed it back, breaking it...)...the worst you can expect in PS2 Basics is carpal tunnel syndrome...

Bob
                    Yes Bob, perhaps you are right in that aspect. And, now that I think of it, there probably are jobs looking to hire kids with high PS2 scores. Who needs the creative skills anymore anyways? dale
                    Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

Here's another recent story on the same subject. My son is so bogged down with the acedemics, he is losing interest in some classes. I'd love to see a shop class at his school.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/EDUCATION/10....ap/index.html

Dan
                      Dan H

I would rather be friendly to a stranger than be a stranger to my friends.

Comment

Thanks Dan, that is an excellent artical. A couple quotes from it that so true: "We have a generation of students that can answer questions on tests, know factoids, but they can't do anything," said Aschwanden, an appointee to the state Board of Education.
                        and, like I tell my 4H kids :"He tells his students that this is a math class, too, but a fun one."
                        Thanks again for posting that. Dale
                        Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

Ok Kevin,

What is the richest state in the country?
                          Rolf
                          RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
                          Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
                          Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
                          And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

I hope you all realize that my coments above were tongue in cheek...just looking back, I realize that someone could have taken me seriously....if you did, I apologize!

Bob
                            www.GrobetUSA.com

Comment

Originally posted by Rolf
                              Ok Kevin,

What is the richest state in the country?
                              Connecticut, also the highest or second highest taxed state in the country (we do battle with Mass and NY for that "honor" every year). Unfortunately, that doesn't mean that we're all rich, just means that we pay more to the government every year.
                              Oh, and I found our (after my wife yelled at me) that our local high school does offer 2 woodworking classes (I and II), yay! They offer these and 2 metalworking classes as well. Maybe there's hope after all.
                              Kevin
                              Scrollsaw Patterns Online
                              Making holes in wood with an EX-30, Craftsman 16" VS, Dremel 1680 and 1671

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X