What Wood For Ornaments?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Wood For Ornaments?

I am going to stack cut several tree ornaments and need advice on what wood ya'll use? I have cut some using poplar hardwood and baltic birch plywood and the blades zipped right through with no problem. But, I plan on cutting some fret patterns like on snow flakes, etc. What wood will be strong so I will not have wood breakage on delicate patterns but can still stack cut?

Tony,aka,Toneman

I use Mahogany, hickory (thin), butternut, chestnut, walnut, black walnut. Just about anything besides oak and other splintery woods. I prefer to use 1/8" for ornaments.
    "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
    Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

I just made a bunch out of 1/8 inch oak.
      T
      Theresa

http://WoodNGoods.weebly.com

http://woodngoods.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by wood-n-things View Post
        I use Mahogany, hickory (thin), butternut, chestnut, walnut, black walnut. Just about anything besides oak and other splintery woods. I prefer to use 1/8" for ornaments.
        Me 2 and 1/8 BB
        May the wind at you back .....
        Not be from Lunch.

Don't take life too seriously; No one gets out alive.

Beauty is in the eye of the BEERHOLDER

Visit My Gallery

Oily's Gallery

http://www.picturetrail.com/oily11

Comment

A friend gave me a box of 1/4" Baltic Birch offcuts from some of his projects. I made my first 3 ornaments ever from that. They were the kind that slide together at 90 degrees for a 3d look. It was a lot of fretwork but I didn't break any of them. The great thing about Baltic Birch Ply is there are no "voids" to contend with as in regular plywood. The edges cleaned up with minor sanding and no filling. Weeks later, I used some Luan on a piece and found many voids and delamination from the poor gluing of layers. I haven't tried hard woods yet, but I have some extremely expensive Poplar that I'm going to slice into boards later this summer. We'll see how $500 per board foot wood performs.
          Lou

Comment

I use use 1/16 (1.5mm) Finish birch ply for my very delicate ornaments I stack them 6 up.
            These are 2 of my favorites and are 4.5 in in diameter.
            Attached Files
            Rolf
            RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
            Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
            Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
            And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Thanks For Ornament Wood Advice

Want to thank ya'll for your advice on ornament wood. Rolf, those are beautiful! My wife is wanting me to cut those already, but, after a little more experience! LOL I just ordered some of the wood ya'll mentioned,so, will get to cutting as soon as it arrives!

Tony,aka,Toneman

Comment

Lighter colored woods tend to stand out better on the tree, but I like to use darker woods like cherry & walnut anyway. I just really like the color and grain. For really delicate & thin ornaments, BB ply works well and is less prone to to breakage. I also use BB ply if I intend to paint the ornament.
                Homer : "Oh, and how is education supposed to make me feel smarter. Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain."

Comment

For snowflakes I always use aspen for the white color.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                  X