Using Silicone spray instead of tape

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using Silicone spray instead of tape

Did some experimenting this afternoon. I always suggest. like many others, to use tape to help with eliminating burnig. The reason for that is, that the tape has a chemical on top, like a silicone to release friction.
    I found a can of silicone in the shop and started to cut in 3/4" Oak till it started to burn the wood. I clued a piece of paper on the wood and sprayed a light coat of silicone on the paper.
    The burning stopped. It also seemed that the paper came off a lot easier but that can have some to do how much glue was used.
    I would like to hear from others if they would have the same experience and let me and others know.
    Would make it a lot easier than to use tape.
    FD Mike
    SD Mike

Mike the only problem with using silicone is it will make it difficult to get stain to take evenly. That is the main reason we warn members about using wax with silicone in it on their table tops.
    "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
    Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Not sure what the propellant is in that spray. I would be concerned with it soaking in staining the wood.
      Scott
      Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

Scott,
        I did not see nothing on the wood. The glue might have stopped.
        Fd Mike
        SD Mike

Comment

The glue may be the trick. May have to give this a try next time I cut Cherry.
          "Still Montana Mike"

Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

FD Mike, do I understand correctly that you glued paper on top of bare wood and then lightly sprayed some silicone lubricant on the paper? If you did that then it is unlikely you would have silicone transfer onto the wood. Almost all the silicone would be absorbed by the paper fibers. Silicone lubricant only need a very small amount to be effective and you are continually cutting into new paper then it is continually supplying a fresh bit of lubricant and should prevent burning. However if you heavily spray then be concerned about coating the wood with silicone.
            Bill

Comment

Mike, nice idea. This kind of thinking/experimenting is what can evolve our hobby

----Randy
              "Ever Striving, Never Arriving"

Comment

I'd try it on a pattern that is a spare first. I would be concerned wiping wet silicone on the ink may smear the pattern lines. Just thinking out loud.
                "Still Montana Mike"

Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Wow. That sounds awesome. I can't wait to try it. Any recommendation on brands of silicone?

Comment

Be very careful. One drop of silicon absorbed into the wood can ruin a finish. DAMHIKT.

Comment

FD Mike, I am a Dow Corning retiree, and have worked with most of the various silicone products over the years. Its true that a small amount of silicone can ruin a paint finish, however I am not aware of it affecting a wood stain. I haven't seen any data that supports that, just rumors "don't use silicone".
                      So I was thinking if you tried light spraying on a paper towel and then wiping the blade with that, would that also help cut wood that burns easily?
                      Bill

Comment

Hi Bill,
                        You are correct. I used a very light spray. Next time I will spray some on a small paper towel and just wipe it on the pattern. It is easy to use too much spray. Look at the tape, there is a very, very small amount of silicone.
                        FD Mike
                        I have not tried it yet but maybe later today.
                        Last edited by 3_M; 05-26-2012, 11:07 AM.
                        SD Mike

Comment

I am not willing to take the risk. I will stick to my blue tape or contact paper.
                          I would consider it for plastic or Corian.
                          Thanks for doing the research Mike.
                          Rolf
                          RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
                          Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
                          Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
                          And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                          X