Spray on Finish?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spray on Finish?

I am making tree ornaments and am wanting to keep them natural so I am dipping them in lemon oil. So, which spray on finish would you use? There are so many (gloss,clear,satin, ultra satin,etc), but too costly to try them all, so I am wanting advice and opinions from you experienced scrollers out there.

Tony,aka,Toneman

Are you thinking to spray after the lemon oil has dried or instead of the lemon oil?

One advise is to not use any of the "gloss" finishes. The higher the gloss and more they will highlight any scratches or blade marks. For tree ornaments, I would think that a satin would be fine.

Go with a water based finish, everyone in your house will thank you.

If they have flat exterior surfaces, try skipping the spray and using a wax instead. A lot of better furniture is finished with BLO (boiled linseed oil) and then wax. BLO (probably like lemon oil) can take more than a week to dry before the wax stage. There are a number of easy ways to buff the wax after it has dried. I use a Surbuf pad that is hook and loop which goes on my ROS (Random Orbital Sander).
    Buy 5-1 2 Buffing Pads (2) at Woodcraft

Two people advised me to buy Briwax couple years ago and it does work well. But the new recommendation seems to be Mylands for ease of application and buffing out.
    Buy Clear Wax at Woodcraft
    Steve.
    EX-16, DW-788, Dremel 1680

Comment

For my lemon oil dips I use Deft Satin, I usually wait a day or so before applying.
      Gloria ............... Two memorable things to say in life, "Hello" for the first time, and "Good-bye" for the last.

Comment

Spay lacquer

Hi,
        I use a quick drying spray lacquer over lemon oil. Dip in oil then allow the oil to dry overnight. Follow with a couple of coats of the lacqer. I usually denib with an abrasive before the last coat of lacqer. This will give a satin finish. The more coats of lacquer you apply, the more glossy it becomes.
        Hope this helps.

Comment

Thank ya'll so much and I really appreciate the advice and opnions I get from this forum family! Could not learn without ya'll.

Tony,aka,Toneman

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• jim_mex
            Reply to Home remodeling completed !!!
            by jim_mex
            Thanks to all for the kind comments.

Norma and I are still growing into our 'new' home but are really happy that we got this work done and everyone who has seen the transformation have been wowed.

From my side I'm really pleased with how my kitchen extension idea worked out....
            Today, 09:17 AM
          • jim_mex
            Reply to New PC keyboard has an error
            by jim_mex
            Hi guys - it seems like I am back in business. The offending 'F' key seemed to lack sufficient travel to push down on the main board so I stuck a thin sliver of plastic under it with super glue and that seems to have solved the problem.

The only downside is I now have no excuses for my...
            Today, 08:42 AM
          • Rolf
            Reply to Home remodeling completed !!!
            by Rolf
            WOW! I really like your taste in doors etc. I have have always leaned towards contemporary / modern. But our house is a small cape and that style would not suit it. Since we are both Geminis we have 4 people and our house is very eclectic. Each room has a bit of different style.
            Today, 08:20 AM
          • Rolf
            Reply to New tools
            by Rolf
            You tube is a real blessing when it comes to learning new stuff. I have watched one that compared the flux core and gas mig weld. If I remember correctly polarity comes into play. The flux core weld was really nice. Have fun.
            I was told by the cardiologist that I am not allowed to weld because...
            Today, 08:14 AM
          • Rolf
            Reply to New PC keyboard has an error
            by Rolf
            The contacts on the keyboard main board are a screen printed silver metal the keys have small membrane switches under them, the probability of repair is slim. spilled coffee takes out the contacts almost instantly, the voice of experience,
            Today, 08:06 AM
          Working...
          X