band saw box start and sword

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• band saw box start and sword

I gave the band saw box project a go this weekend. It is cut from a mesquite log my son gave me. I have only sanded enough to take off the ruff stuff. I will pretty it up later.
    The sword is something I have messed with for about 10 years. I traded a walking staff for the blade and made the handle and sheath from red oak. It is not something I want to use, just something to fool with.
    Attached Files
    Pacifism is great, as long as everyone is participating.

StephenD

The Southern Arizona Woodturners Association
    Desert Woodcrafters
    Grandpa for the 7 most amazing children.

Love the box and sword.

Will love to see the finished box.

George

Comment

Nice start to the box Stephen. What size blade did you use and how hard was the mesquite? We have a tree here in the Islands that is like mesquite but unless it is a very old tree, it will not be very large around. So how do you like working with the band saw boxes?
      Hawaiilad
      Larry

Comment

Larry, I tried a 1/8" blade to cut the curved part and a 1/2 for the straight cuts. Next time I will use the 1/4" for the whole thing I think.
        It was hard cutting with the fine tooth skinny blade. I think I toasted it.
        This is my second try at one of these boxes. The first was with the scroll saw on a piece of 2x4.
        Like most stuff, it will take some time to figure out how to be successful at this.
        I forgot to cut off the back of the thing before I cut out the drawer. I'm gona put something back there to stop it from going all the way thru.
        Pacifism is great, as long as everyone is participating.

StephenD

The Southern Arizona Woodturners Association
        Desert Woodcrafters
        Grandpa for the 7 most amazing children.

Comment

Stephen, I have forgotten to cut parts off of the myself. I was cocky one day after not being in the shop for several weeks and jumped right in cutting a couple boxes when I noticed I forgot to cut the backs off but instead I cut the front off the box...that sure didn't come out very good. I use a 10 teeth per inch 3/16" blade that works great.
          Hawaiilad
          Larry

Comment

Looking good! Mesquite is some beautiful wood actually. A lot of folks associate it with wood for grilling, which it is good for, but makes beautiful furniture and other things also.

Phil J.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Linda In Phoenix
              Farmers market "survey"
              by Linda In Phoenix
              Curiosity regarding farmers markets.
              I have only looked into a few, and I know that each one has different requirements.
              For those of you who do them, what are 'typical' requirements for yours?

The nearest one to me that might have potential, and allows crafters requires:...
              Today, 11:14 AM
            • Linda In Phoenix
              Reply to Farmers market
              by Linda In Phoenix
              Truly a nice display. I'm happy for you! Our nearest 2 farmers markets are still food items only as county and city covid rules are still being applied. Our best nearby one is on county parks department property and they haven't lifted essential business and crowd restrictions yet. But the food...
              Today, 11:00 AM
            • Linda In Phoenix
              Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
              by Linda In Phoenix
              Sawstop instructions are some of the best I've ever worked with. Each part comes labeled with a letter to match instructions, hardware in color coded and labeled to match labels and colors in instructions. Full poster size instructions with pics in addition to manual instructions. Could only find one...
              Today, 09:57 AM
            • Rolf
              Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
              by Rolf
              So glad they were supportive, it is a bit disappointing that they had to be. But like any tool manufacturer they have to out source many of the components like the motor. At least the motor is mounted externally for an easy change. How true was the blade to the miter slots etc.
              I like the fact...
              Today, 08:34 AM
            • will8989
              Reply to Farmers market
              by will8989
              Steve posted it about 2 weeks ago. I just put out a small sampling of items to see what people are interested in. Seems to be everything! I did notice I had more credit charges than last year. But the ones who paid cash were the ones who paid $7 for a gallon of milk and $10 for a loaf of sourdough bread....
              Today, 08:17 AM
            Working...
            X