Dust Mask

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dust Mask

What type of dust mask do you use? I have been using some inexpensive disposible ones, but probably need something better. Any recommendations?

I recently switched to the dust bee gone...Love it. I've tried 4 other types and this is my favorite.

DustBeeGone TM Nuissance Dust Mask
    "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
    Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

The cheapo disposables have the same problem when I use them, they make me breath in my exhaled breath, making for a hot air inhale. It probably doesn't bother most people much, but I prefer the style with a small valve that opens when you exhale. It's still not great, but it is tolerable, and less expensive than going first class.

Comment

I have used the "dust be gone for" a number of years but was still troubled by fogging of my glasses and recently splashed out the big bucks and bought a 3M half face mask with dust filters. The face mask is made of silicone rubber, is very confortable and fits well over a beard ...model no. M7502 with 2125 filters. I wear the mask about 8 hours a day, no dust and no fogging.
        They are also easy to dismantle for cleaning and I am able to blow the filters out with compressed air satisfactorily.

Rhys

Comment

I use dust bee gone and can really tell the difference since starting with it.

I saw a demonstration on shop safety couple months back and the guy showed a hood that he used when turning on the lathe. It resembled a welders mask and closed around your neck. It had filters and a small electric pump to circulate air through it. That was the ultimate.

Steve.
          Steve.
          EX-16, DW-788, Dremel 1680

Comment

The one I saw demonstrated was
            Trend Airshield - Rockler Woodworking Tools

A bit pricey at $300, but maybe cheap after a decade of scrolling and a lung issue. I haven't had this on a must get list, but keep thinking about it.
            + Quiet, built-in fan keeps a constant flow of filtered air across the face.
            + Pre-filter and fine filter provide excellent protection from inhalation of harmful dust.
            + Filters to 2 micron in size.
            + Flow rate 6.36 cf/min.; minimum 4.94 cf/min.
            + With flip-up visor that is mounted on a fully adjustable head band.
            + Soft face shield ensures positive pressure is maintained within the visor and prevents debris from entering the visor area.
            + Eye protection to ANZI 287.1 (low-energy impact).
            + Respiratory protection (NPF20) to EN 146 THP2.
            + Fits 20-1/2" to 24-1/2" head sizes.
            + Weighs only 1.62 lbs.
            + Comes with rechargeable 4-hour Nicad battery pack and 120V charger.
            Steve.
            EX-16, DW-788, Dremel 1680

Comment

Steve there is no question about it .... this type of mask is the best for protection, but not necessarily for comfort and convenience.

Rhys
              Last edited by Hobbyhorse; 05-05-2012, 04:54 PM.

Comment

If you are prepared to spend a little more then this looks like a good option.
                CleanSpace - the world's smallest powered air respirator

Comment

Been looking hard at the 3M7502 and about to pull the trigger and get one not sure which filter to get with it. I need something that will work with glasses and according to Hobbyhorse it seems to do that well. I can't find the filter he uses listed with any suppliers I have looked at.
                  Bob making sawdust in SW Louisiana
                  with a EX-21

Comment

The filter is a standard dust filter which is different to the filter for toxic fumes as in spray painting. The paint filter is encapuslated in a plastic body is virtually an oblong shape and is a 3M6001 whereas the dust filter is 41/4" in diameter, is a white filter made of a fine mesh with a plastic mounting in the centre. When I bought it the numbers did not tally with the old mask I had had and I guess they have been changed.

Rhys

Comment

Kiwi, those masks look most interesting but the price is a bit savage. Carbatec NZ have them at $598 .... my 3M mask was $65 on special. I know you get what you pay for but the 3M mask is doing a good job.

Cheers,

Rhys

Comment

Well I got the 3M7502 half mask and love it. It is the only dust mask I have ever tried and like, it is comfortable and not hot. As soon as I get into the habit I will use anytime I am in the workshop.
                        Bob making sawdust in SW Louisiana
                        with a EX-21

Comment

Thanks for the info Bob .... glad it works well for you.

Rhys

Comment

I went from using nothing to the cheap masks up to the Dust Be Gone, but still would hack away every night after being in the shop all day....then I spent 9 days in the Hospital because of a lung infection the thought "might" be caused by dust. The wife said I could not go back in the shop until I bought a "great...not good" mask. I had looked around and ended up paying the money for the Trend system. I am so glad I did. I bought a second battery and charger (each battery lasts about 7-8 hours) but found one battery should be enough unless you are sending the whole day and night in the shop. I wear the mask all day long unless I am just designing. Any cutting or sanding means wear the mask. It is not a heavy mask and I found after a couple days sometimes I would forget I had the darn thing on...it blows cool cleaned air onto your face. I have no problem wearing glasses and have hair on my face as well. I do not cough at all from dust now. I wish I would have started wearing this many years ago. Every time my wife walks into my shop and I am not wearing the helmet, she says I better not be doing any wood work with out it on... I'm sure there are other devices that work, but for my money this one is the best...yea it cost about $400 but my lungs are clean so it was worth it.
                            Hawaiilad
                            Larry

Comment

Hard to follow Hawaiilad's post, but I have been using Dust Be Gone with good results. Works well with my glasses.
                              Steve in Richmond, VA with a DW-788

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• jim_mex
                                Reply to My first decent furniture project - Welding and woodwork combined
                                by jim_mex
                                Hi Linda - thanks for the comments on the welds. It took me an hour or so to get into the swing of MIG wire welding but I really like it in preference to stick welding especially for welding thinner material. I confess to investing in a new angle grinder to help with the cleanup and dressing. I bought...
                                Today, 12:25 AM
                              • keystonecop
                                Bread and Cheese..
                                by keystonecop
                                ‚Äč Scrollsaw Woodworking and crafts Winter 2020 3/4 Cherry. A work in progress. This has been one of the most frustrating and rewarding projects that I have ever done. @Fiona Kingdon is by far one of the great scroll saw artists. Her patterns are not always the type that I like (I like to follow red...
                                Today, 12:08 AM
                              • keystonecop
                                Reply to Recommendations anyone?
                                by keystonecop
                                This is in a 5x5 area.. The total shop is 10x12 ...
                                Today, 12:01 AM
                              • jim_mex
                                Reply to Turning to something new
                                by jim_mex
                                Wow! That segmented bowl is amazing!

Betty - I have an old Darth Vader helmet somewhere. Will that substitute Bruce's get up? Failing that there always my current biker's helmet Thanks very much for the safety advice and concern. Rest assured that safety is my priority these days....
                                Yesterday, 11:57 PM
                              • will8989
                                Reply to Turning to something new
                                by will8989
                                That is beautiful. Your design?
                                Yesterday, 11:42 PM
                              Working...
                              X