Train Depot Clock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Train Depot Clock

Finally finished the Train Depot Clock. All I can say is WOW. Now I can really appreciate the effort for those who have made this before me. Very tedious and time consuming. Took a lot of breaks. This is one on the most rewarding projects I have taken on in many years. I'm in my 70's

I didn't install the light kit or the train sound kit that were available. I also didn't install the pendulum clock movement. I just kept it simple. I did rename my depot though. Since I live in Michigan I named it "Michigan Central Train Station". A new scroll saw friend from this forum and fellow Michigander is also making this clock. I'm pretty sure he will be posting a pic soon. Your on the spot now RichB.

Ben

Not sure what happend to the image or why it was taken off. I'll try just the link.

http://i1167.photobucket.com/albums/...TrainDepot.jpg

Ben

Last edited by Ben12; 04-28-2012, 02:50 PM.

Hello Ben
    That is just beautiful, gorgeous. We like your choices of woods and it looks beautiful even without the lights. Was the pattern easy to follow?

we will send you a pm,
    Norman and Rose

Comment

Wow, this is just amazing!!! Really like it ...
      Frieke
      www.friewoodart.webs.com

Visit Frieke's gallery

Don't let the pain of your past and the fear of your future ruin the happiness of your present.

Comment

Ben,
        You did a beautiful job an the clock. I like your wood selection. All of the cuts look very precise. I suspect this is a keeper! How did you make the station sign?
        Our club made this clock as a group project last year, you can imagin the challenge of assembling this clock when all of the pieces were cut by different people.
        Rolf
        RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
        Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
        Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
        And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Looks great. On my to do list.
          Roger

Comment

Sweeeeet cuts Ben, it looks awesome.
            Gloria ............... Two memorable things to say in life, "Hello" for the first time, and "Good-bye" for the last.

Comment

You have a very nice piece there. You should be proud of it I mean I would be. Your wood choices and placement are great keep up the great work....
              Last edited by HAMMER; 04-28-2012, 09:08 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

Hi everyone. Thanks for the kind words. I changed the wood selection a bit. Used some maple and aspen which was not called for in the plans. Don't think I will use aspen again though, way to fuzzy and a lot of sanding to get rid of the fuzzies.I made the train silhouette out of walnut instead of oak as called for. Just wanted my train to be a bit different.

The plans were very easy to follow. Just take the time to read them then read them again. I think keeping the project square was the key.

I made the depot sign using an old version of Corel Draw 9 and semi-gloss photo paper. I'm sure other software that you can scale to size and print will work just as good. If you are going to change the name of your depot, do use the photo paper as it is very sturdy as opposed to plain copy paper which will not hold up. I know....I tried it.

On another note I made a few mistakes and had to remake a few parts. I guess thats just a part of making this depot clock.

Ben

Comment

That is sweet... beautiful job
                  Douglas Fraser
                  Eagle River, Alaska

My Gallery - Aurora Wood Crafts

Comment

Very nice work! God Bless! Spirithorse

Comment

I have never (or at least - not yet) tried making this clock but I always love seeing it. Your version here has given me some new inspiration. You did a wonderful job and the end result with color of the various woods works well. You have the artist eye. You will enjoy this one.

John
                      I've Got A Lot More To Learn
                      About Leaving Battlegrounds Alone
                      "~~ Molly Venter

Comment

You have done a fantastic job on a very challenging project. I know this because, yes, I am building the same project and have become friends with Ben. Ben and I have been working together on this, but he really showed me up on his. He has been helping me on some parts and we have been talking regularly as we progressed. I will be posting some pictures when I finish it. It might be awhile, but it will happen. Thanks Ben. RichB
                        Rich Delta P-20

Comment

Well Done! I like your wood color changes compared to the wood colors shown on Wildwood Designs site. In fact, I am more interested in getting the pattern after seeing your work. Is that sign maize and blue? Michigan Central may be closer to green and white country or Chippewa colors.

Comment

The pattern artist, Dirk Boelman, will be at the Scrolling picnic in Cleveland this coming weekend. The pattern is also available on his site, theartfactory.com Excellant project, Ben! Outstanding!

Paul
                            www.flicker.com/photos/woodworks44224

Comment

Originally posted by TimB221 View Post
                              Well Done! I like your wood color changes compared to the wood colors shown on Wildwood Designs site. In fact, I am more interested in getting the pattern after seeing your work. Is that sign maize and blue? Michigan Central may be closer to green and white country or Chippewa colors.
                              Tim

Actually the colors are moss green and gold. I tried to come as close to the historic signs you see in front of old buildings. The colors are from the Corel Draw 9 selection on my computer and are not representive of any school or college. I am a fan of U of M though. The colors came as close to the signs I mentioned. One other note, my computer and printer may produce a color combination different than yours even though we may have the same software.

Yes, the wood selection is a bit different. I changed around the colors and wood selections. I used Aspen and Maple which is not called for in the plan. I think the ones displayed on the Wildwood and Art factory sites are great. Just wanted to make mine a bit different.

Here are a couple of photos of the little train next to the depot and the depot itself.

http://i1167.photobucket.com/albums/...Depottrain.jpg

http://i1167.photobucket.com/albums/...Depotclock.jpg

Ben

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X