Just full of questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just full of questions

Shannon Flowers has asked on a couple occassions, what we thought of different issues of the magazine.

I found some of the feedback very interesting and recently began to wonder what components of a magazine members here feel are the most important.

What do you want in a scrolling magazine?

1. Would you prefer it to be packed with patterns and care about little else?
    2. Do you like to read the articles?
    3. Would you like more fretwork?
    4. Would you like the most intarsia/segmentation?
    5. Decorative projects or functional?
    6. Should the magazine discuss the business of craft businesses?
    7. Do you want to know the contributors and have a profile section?
    8. What about woods? Do you want to learn more about wood species?
    9. Should the magazine be more for education/ instruction or would you like it to be more relaxed and recreational.
    10. Want the magazine to teach you about tools?
    11. Do you shop from the classified advertisements in the magazines?

Ah, I suppose it is questions like these that keep me awake at night, lol, and I have no wonder why.
    Want patterns
    14.68%
    Want instruction and techniques
    11.01%
    Want an equal combination of both
    13.76%
    Want both but mostly patterns
    12.84%
    Want both but mostly articles
    2.75%
    Shop from advertisements, support advertisers
    11.01%
    Want to know the contributors
    11.01%
    Would like more intarsia / segmentation
    8.26%
    Would like more fretwork
    11.93%
    Would like mostly decorative projects with limited assembly and need for other tools
    2.75%

The poll is expired.

Howdy

All would make for an interesting magazine, but to narrow it down.

My personal preference would be instructions, technics and patterns to try them on.

thanks for asking ....pete
    Pete Ripaldi

---------------------------------
    "Insert Clever Tag Line Here..."

Comment

I honestly think that SSWC has come so close to the perfect blend I wouldn't want to mess with it.
      One thing I would like to see is the odd pattern for a larger piece, like small furniture.
      And if I could get one other feature, I would love to see reprints of old patterns like the Hobbies patterns Pedro did.
      It would be nice to have some historical content, perhaps on old saws, the origin of old techniques etc. They could both be run together.

I like the level of detail in the magazine. I did subscribe to a Canadian publication but I found the lack of detail in the instructions frustrated me a little and I did not do projects because I was not sure if I could complete them.

The fox hunt is a hoot!. It gets you looking closely at every page! then you get distracted by reading the articles, go figure!
      CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
      "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
      Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

Little of bot. As for the patterns I'd like to see more portrait stuff. I prefer that in lieu of oraments, intarsa, trinkets etc. A balance of all but more portrait stuff. There hasn't been much.
        Confuscious says, "The cautious seldom err".
        Confuscious didn't own a scrollsaw either.

Comment

I tend to agree with the mixture of the tips/techniques along with pattern to try them on. As a rookie I like to see variety in the types of patterns.This gives me the courage to try new stuff to see which I like the most. The articles really help. It is one thing to have lots of patterns but another to know what to do with them.
          Derek

Comment

Toni:

What I want most from any hobby magazine is to be challenged mentally.

I take two main stream woodworking magazines, and this one because I want to learn. I want to drool over a project, plan the project out, examine if I need any new tools to make the project, make a schedule of my time available and what I can accomplish in my limited free time. And if needed, I plan the learning curve I must climb, discover the skills I need to acquire, plan the purchase lead time for material, blades, and finishing supplies. Most important is the machinery tune-up, maintenance, calibration, and sharpening of the cutting edges for hand tools.

By the way, did I tell you I have a strong German genetic heritage? And my
            Dad, his Dad, and his Dad plus several uncles were all machinist / mill-wrights / Tool & Die makers in their days.

Eveyone brings a different point of view to a hobby. To each his own.

Phil

Comment

Toni said:What do you want in a scrolling magazine?

1. Would you prefer it to be packed with patterns and care about little else?
              2. Do you like to read the articles?
              3. Would you like more fretwork?
              4. Would you like the most intarsia/segmentation?
              5. Decorative projects or functional?
              6. Should the magazine discuss the business of craft businesses?
              7. Do you want to know the contributors and have a profile section?
              8. What about woods? Do you want to learn more about wood species?
              9. Should the magazine be more for education/ instruction or would you like it to be more relaxed and recreational.
              10. Want the magazine to teach you about tools?
              11. Do you shop from the classified advertisements in the magazines?

My thoughts:I enjoy the articals very much, and although we all love having it packed full of patterns, what is more important to me is the quality and accuracy of the patterns, even if it means a couple less.I like the complete mix of designs and styles, both functional and fashionable, but things like clocks, shelves,stuff of that nature are more of my preference.I think one reason there isnt many of the 'larger, fancier' patterns in the magazine is both because it takes quite a few pages to fit it in properly, and that leaves less room for the simple plaques and such and so many people want as many things as can be crammed tween the covers, even if its something they dont like. I would definalty prefer a couple less projects, in exchange for some more involved things.I prefer fretwork, but I do see my tastes changing, Neal has shown me how much fun segmentation can be, and your awesome coloring on your unique pieces also intrigues me, and Kathy Wise can really make intarsia something to not be afraid of.So, I like a mixture.I dont really see a need to go into much detail on craft business aspects, as regionally there are way to many variances, I think that should be up to the individual to explore.Absolutely there MUST be a contributers bio, thats one of the most important parts I think.And, like the wood section recently added to the mag, I like it just how it is, a page or two is plenty. One nice addition would be a small list of a few places where anyone could acquire that particular wood profiled.As for question 9, I'm not sure. I am happy with it how it is now, but, if keeping more detailed how-tos would make it more educational, then Im for that.I been scrolling quite a while now, and can figure out most of the things,but I also see when a 4H kid picks up a magazine and wants to try intarsia or something, the step by steps are priceless. That would also seem to apply to the many readers that are just getting involved in the addiction.One other thing, by reading them directions, one can pick up a new technique they never thought of, or learn how to do something they otherwise would be uncomfortable attempting.That would also fit for tool talk.The thread on here recently involving something as simple as a keyhole slot would make a great artical for an issue.I will admit, although I dont "shop" from the classifieds, I do watch them for specials and sales. By now I have, like most that have been in the hobby a while, know where I prefer to purchase the different things I use, and mainly know what it is I need, and go to the sources that I have had the best luck with. Also, I do try to support the vendors that show they care more, like the ones that get involved in the scrollsawing events,the ones that tend to not just pocket the money and run, but genuinely care about their customers and their desires.For instance, being a 4H woodworking leader, I am happy to spend a few extra cents on buying Deft finish compared to many others, because Deft is a major supporter of 4H, and also, because their product lives up to my expectations. The most important thing for the magazine is having a staff that gets involved, interacts with the subscribers, and asks questions and wants to make their magazine the best it can be. Fox Chapel has a complete staff that does exactly that, and it is appreciated!
              One thing I would LOVE to see in an upcoming ssue, is a nice detailed artical demonstrating exactly what you use, and how you create such awesome colors on some of your wood projects!
              Sorry, I got long winded, Dale
              Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

My answer is kind of simple. I like the way SSWC seems to be headed. It has a nice mix of articles, patterns, how-to's, stuff on wood etc. I often refer to the advertiser's information as well.
                Of course, one thing to keep in mind is that the vast majority of folks who read the magazines don't belong to any forum anywhere. SSWC's circulation (which is growing too) is around 30,000. No group anywhere on the web is anywhere near that number. I've yet to meet a scroller (other than those I've met online anyways) who belongs to any of these groups. The answers might be quite different if you were to poll non-internet readers of the magazine. The latest issue I thought was a near perfect mix of a little of everything for every taste.
                Kevin
                Scrollsaw Patterns Online
                Making holes in wood with an EX-30, Craftsman 16" VS, Dremel 1680 and 1671

Comment

Good poll but tough to answer. I want "all of the above"!!!

My biggest wish is for the patterns to be error free.
                  ‎"Orphans are easier to ignore before you know their names. They're easier to ignore before you see their faces. It's easier to pretend they're not real before you hold them in your arms. But once you do, everything changes."

D. Platt

Comment

Sorry, Bear. I accept full responsibility for the pattern errors! For the past few issues, I've measured and re-measured all the patterns, but a few still slip through. It's definately a learning curve for me!

Bob
                    www.GrobetUSA.com

Comment

Originally posted by BobD
                      Sorry, Bear. I accept full responsibility for the pattern errors! For the past few issues, I've measured and re-measured all the patterns, but a few still slip through. It's definately a learning curve for me!

Bob
                      Hey Bob, no apologies needed from you - and please accept mine if they are needed. I wasn't pointing any fingers as the "issue" is common in ALL the magazines I subscribe to that include patterns.
                      ‎"Orphans are easier to ignore before you know their names. They're easier to ignore before you see their faces. It's easier to pretend they're not real before you hold them in your arms. But once you do, everything changes."

D. Platt

Comment

No apology necessary! It's a pet peeve of mine! And I'm really, really hard on myself about it! You all trust me to get the patterns right; that's why you subscribe. It damages my credibility when the patterns are wrong!!!

Bob
                        www.GrobetUSA.com

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                        X