X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CanadianScroller
    replied
    Four things in one day is awesome!
    You will find your scrolling will improve in leaps and bounds.

Spiral blades are a love hate relationship. some people love em others despise them.
    Keep the blade tension higher than normal, let the blade do the work, and always keep constant pressure on your wood

I have a friend who has been scrolling since redwoods were saplings and he despises spirals, but how are you going to cut a 48" fretwork piece out of one piece of wood without them?

Leave a comment:

• Mick Walker
    replied
    Sarah, one thing I learned a long time ago is to try and relax while using the saw. Tense hand, arm, shoulder and neck muscles don't work too well for scrolling. One other thing is, if you don't scroll for a few days or weeks you should make a few practice cuts to get back in the "groove" again. The main thing is to have fun with your scroll saw.

Leave a comment:

• david
    replied
    Originally posted by PuzzledMoose
    The thing I've learned today:

Spiral blades are very different to use from flat ones!

They seem to have a mind of their own and want to wander around like a manic woodworm .... aaar gh!!!
    I agree with you. I have tried them a couple of times and I guess they are not for me.

Leave a comment:

• PuzzledMoose
    replied
    The thing I've learned today:

Spiral blades are very different to use from flat ones!

They seem to have a mind of their own and want to wander around like a manic woodworm .... aaar gh!!!

Leave a comment:

• Rolf
    replied
    Sarah,
    What are you cutting? At our club meeting last night we were cutting puzzles in 5/16 (approximate) plywood. I was useing my Delta SS350 ( first time in about a year) Aggressive saw , agressive blade and I was all over the place couldnt follow a line. So I stacked a couple put a less agressive blade in and that took care of the problem. I also was reminded why I bought my G4 Hawk.

My point is there are many ways to make your cutting more controlled. Finer blade, thicker wood, slower speed etc. that all comes with experience.

Leave a comment:

• mitramom
    started a topic Learn, learn, learn

Learn, learn, learn

The things I've learned today:

1. The mistake I've just made cutting, isn't going to look as bad as I think it is once I've completed the cut.
    2. Keep my eyes on where I'm going to cut, not where I've already cut, as where I've already cut is going to look "wrong"
    3. Not pushing the wood is important, as is....not holding the wood back (my new saw cuts smoother and quicker than the old and it is taking a lot of practice to get the feel of how quickly she cuts)
    4. I CAN touch up mistakes to make them look a little more presentable.

Well...four things for this day, not a bad beginning

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X