Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Dewalt 788 stops working - please help

Hi,

My scroll saw stopped working when cut off on a 7/16 oak today, i thought it is the fuse issue as I replaced it a few months ago. But after checked, it is not the issue. It seems the blade is running with very little power, and when I put the wood on the blade, it only viberate, doesn't cutting anything off. If you push down the arm using figer, I got more vibration, still doesn't cut.

I have taken the video here:
    DSCN2826.mp4 video by zhi_t - Photobucket

Can anyone pls help me to identify the cause, can I repair it myself.

I appreciate for your kind help.

Zhi

Some progress made

All,

I made some progress today after dissemble the saw. If you can look at the video, the saw get back to work if I lift the arm. I don't see anything broken at this moment, and don't know where connecting rods drive the arms of the saw. Has anyone ever dissembled the saw and have idea what cause the issue?

http://s182.photobucket.com/albums/x...t=DSCN2828.mp4

Thanks

Comment

Check out Rick's Scrollsaw Left side to DeWalt tuneup

Comment

something is deffinetly messed up somewhere, but its not good to run saw without a blade in.
        but check out ricks site, he has great info on the 788

+ + I Love The Smell Of Sawdust In The Morning + +

Comment

If you get it cutting, throw away the blade guard. It does nothing but get in your way. I know a lot of folks with DeWalts and not one of them uses it..... Good luck!

Carter

Comment

Originally posted by Zhi View Post
            All,

I made some progress today after dissemble the saw. If you can look at the video, the saw get back to work if I lift the arm. I don't see anything broken at this moment, and don't know where connecting rods drive the arms of the saw. Has anyone ever dissembled the saw and have idea what cause the issue?

http://s182.photobucket.com/albums/x...t=DSCN2828.mp4

Thanks
            You are going to have to take the back part of the saw apart. Lots of screws there and you'll need to get some blue locktite, probably once you get it open.

It looks like the linkage between the motor & the drive arm has come loose.

1. Check Rick's site @ scrollsaws.com. He has a wealth of Dewalk 788 info there.

2. DeWALT DW788L Parts List and Diagram - Type 1 : eReplacementParts.com

This site has a breakout of the saw with a parts list. THe parts are shown in proximity of where they are located on the saw so it may help you locate the loose connection.

Good luck.
            The good woodworker does not craft the wood for honor. He uses his craft to honor the wood.

Comment

Fuse kept blowing on my 788. Dissassembled the saw checked everything several times, finally determining the circuit board went bad. Installed new board at about $80+. Same problem. New motor would cost $210+, so took saw to DW service center to have it rebuilt. They replaced my old, worn, second hand saw with a new one. Cost...$209.99 and 1 year guarantee. They informed me the circuit board was bad. Go figure....At least I had a good functioning saw again, but they didn't give back the money I spent on the cb that claim was bad. I maintain and repair almost everything I have, from the house, to the tractors, and any other machines or tools, but sometimes I gotta throw in the towel and haul it to the repair shop.
              Manufacturer Of Heirloom Quality Sawdust

I wasn't born in the south, but I got here as fast as I could!

Dewalt DW788 Hegner Maximat 18

Comment

Brushes in the motor could be going bad. Dust in the power switch (not as likely)
                Fredfret
                wichita, ks

Comment

Thanks all the response, the problem is solved.

Tgiro, you guess is so right. After open the side panel, there is a screw fallen out, pls see the picture. After put it back, i works just fine. There is a guy reported the same issue in the link.

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x47/zhi_t/145.jpg

Cheers.
                  Last edited by Zhi; 04-05-2012, 08:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Zhi View Post
                    Thanks all the response, the problem is solved.

Tgiro, you guess is so right. After open the side panel, there is a screw fallen out, pls see the picture. After put it back, i works just fine. There is a guy reported the same issue in the link.

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x47/zhi_t/145.jpg

Cheers.
                    Great Job -- Now start making sawdust & post some pictures of completed projects

Tony
                    The good woodworker does not craft the wood for honor. He uses his craft to honor the wood.

Comment

Make sure you apply some blue loctite to that bolt so it does not happen again!
                      Dan in So.Ca.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• will8989
                        Reply to Farmers market "survey"
                        by will8989
                        The one I do is under a pavilion on County Property, about 60 spaces. They run 4 “seasons”, spring 6 weeks, summer May - mid September, fall sept to Mid November, and holiday fare Mid November until end of year. Cost is $75 per season, per day as they are open Saturday and Sunday. If you are called...
                        Today, 11:10 PM
                      • will8989
                        Reply to Farmers market
                        by will8989
                        Ours are run by the state Ag Dept. They have very strict rules as to masks and distancing. The Ag Dept does come and visit to make sure rules are being followed. We stand behind the table and use the tailgate for packaging. I have people place their credit card in the reader on my phone and remove...
                        Today, 10:31 PM
                      • tgiro01
                        Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                        by tgiro01
                        Linda - Here is my gimmick for the Incra 1000SE on my SS CNS. I scratched a line 3/4-inch in from the blade end of the fence. I then use a ruler to set that line 1-inch from the side of a carbide tooth on the blade. Then I line the 1-inch mark on the fence ruler to the scratch line.

Now,...
                        Today, 09:38 PM
                      • Linda In Phoenix
                        Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                        by Linda In Phoenix
                        It was a tough choice on the miter gauges---based on recommendations here. I researched the Kreg and the Incra. They were pretty much tied. I let fate decide it. Went into my nearest 2 hardwood stores. #1 sold Kreg, but they were out of stock and didn't know when an order would come in that...
                        Today, 06:47 PM
                      • Linda In Phoenix
                        Reply to Plastic puzzle
                        by Linda In Phoenix
                        Nice puzzle. Go for the gusto---scroll it next time!! Several of the quality brands of blades make blades just for acrylics. With a sharp blade and the right speed it's all good.
                        Today, 06:38 PM
                      Working...
                      X