Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inkscape Vector Art Program

Anyone played around with this yet?
    I've been looking for a vector-based program to work with (along the lines of Corell and Adobe Illustrator) and found Inkscape.

It's open-source, which means that it's free, along the lines of GIMP, and has a lot of the functionality of AI and Corell.

For example, I took the Victorian Hot Plate (Which I happen to be making for a holiday present), which we had as a bitmap image in our storage, used the auto trace function, and got a vector file...just like that.

Now, I have no experience with vector-based graphics. But this was cake!!!

Anyone else used it? I can see how it would be awsome to clean up portrait patterns (eliminating all the little fuzzies that always seem to crop up, and straightening out any bitmapped lines)

Oh..if you want to check it out, just google Inkscape!

Bob
    www.GrobetUSA.com

Bob,
    When you save the vector file, can you save it in a format that another program can read (eg: Corel) or does it only save it in a proprietary format? One of the drawbacks to Serif's Drawplus program is that another program can't read the vector file. You can export it as a jpg or bmp etc but that defeats the purpose of the vector file.

Bruce
    Bruce
    . . . because each piece will be someone's heirloom someday.
    visit sometime
    Hawk 220VS, Delta 40-570

Comment

The SVG format can be read by CS2 Illustrator...not sure about corell. YOu can also save as a postscript file, a pdf, an eps, and a DXF (a CAD format)...

The main problem I've run into is figuring out the conversion system to be able to open an AI file...the MAC terminal function is tough to use...I'll have to install it on my PC at home and see how it works there!

Bob
      www.GrobetUSA.com

Comment

Bob,
        This sounds interesting. Will have to take a look. I believe Corel Trace does the same thing (but it cost a lot more, hehehe). I like using it to smooth out everything and then publish it to a .pdf.
        Thanks for the heads up on this.
        Kevin
        Scrollsaw Patterns Online
        Making holes in wood with an EX-30, Craftsman 16" VS, Dremel 1680 and 1671

Comment

I was thinking of you, Kevin, when I put this up! I know Toni and Sue use Corel; Carl uses Serif, but I didn't know what you used...

Bob
          www.GrobetUSA.com

Comment

What a gem of a program Bob!

Did you see it even has a fret calcualtor for musical instruments!

I need to finish work so I can go home and play!!!
            CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
            "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
            Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

Originally posted by BobD
              I was thinking of you, Kevin, when I put this up! I know Toni and Sue use Corel; Carl uses Serif, but I didn't know what you used...

Bob
              Gee...was it that bad??? LOL!

Ooops, forgot to mention, I use Corel as well.
              Kevin

Comment

NO!!!! It was awsome! I just know your...perfectionism...and didn't know what you use...I'll admit...I didn't even look at the pattern. I just passed it on to our designer, Jon, who raved about it!!!!

Bob
                www.GrobetUSA.com

Comment

Hehehe, I'm just sitting here in my cubicle at work laughing my you-know-what off. I just hope no one walks by.
                  Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by millwab
                    .... One of the drawbacks to Serif's Drawplus program is that another program can't read the vector file. You can export it as a jpg or bmp etc but that defeats the purpose of the vector file.....

Bruce
                    I do work in both DrawPlus and PagePlus Then I export as a PDF.
                    I also export as wmf which allows me to scale too. But that is a drawback with some of the older versions of the software.

Kind of a copyright protection scheme

This new Inkscape looks like a cool program though!
                    CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
                    "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
                    Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

I found it trolling a GIMP site...and checked it out...
                      If anyone is looking for a great photo program that is free, google GIMP...it's worth it!

Bob
                      www.GrobetUSA.com

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                      X