Hitting the scales…

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hitting the scales…

on a fish that is!!! This is the first one in a series that I was commissioned to make for my dentist, as each of his rooms have a fish theme. The first room he chose was the ‘Tripletail’ room. Instead of using my traditional aboriginal style painting, dots, he wanted it similar to one I had created before in my Splatter Series.

Then the fun begins…grab at least a dozen colors of spray paint and a rubber mallet. I came across this idea when I accidentally dropped a mallet on a can of spray paint and liked how it sputtered out random sized drops and such. This technique is more experimental than technical…but it is sure a lot of fun and you can use your imagination as much as possible. However, I do like to keep the fish looking as close as possible to their true shape and colors…so I had to call up some of my fisherman buddies for advice…but that’s a whole different story – lol! I chose to use blues and such for the frame to mimic water.

Once all the splatters are finished, several coats of high gloss lacquer were applied. Installed the 24” x 32” x 1/8”-thick mirror, using turn buttons, inside a luan plywood frame, roughly 1/8” smaller than OD of frame and glued to the back. Then attached another piece of luan to protect the mirror. All the luan was painted black with several coats of hg-lacquer applied, before final assembly. Forgot to mark my screw holes before attaching the hanger/wire and was like a 1/16” off when I heard a cracking sounding…ARGHHH, is it seven years bad luck if you only crack a mirror!?! To my dismay, I had to take the whole thing apart, run to Lowe’s and get a new mirror. Got home and removed the sticker…why do they put them on the front - another day, another soap box, any whoos, got the label finally removed and mirror all polished up and discovered scratches. Once again, another ARGHHH…back to Lowe’s I go!!! We had to go thru almost a dozen different ones before we found one that was acceptable…a lesson to be learned! Finally, attached the 21” x 13” fishy to the front of the frame with screws, and then installed the decorative hangers on front…and walla one fishy mirror completed. Overall size ended up 35” x 31”, and roughly 15-lb or so. (Copper color is the reflection of my wall in my wo-man cave)

Thanx for letting me share another one of my unique pieces. Any comments or critiques are more than welcome!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by lkbraa; 03-10-2012, 02:37 AM.
    ~ Kim

A day in my shop is like a day at the beach...full of sunshine and ya never know where the sawdust may end up!

www.gonecoastalart.com

Well that's just Fantastic...!!!
    You didn't elaborate on how you did your fishy scales
    Unless you did that with a rotary tool...
    That's just nuts...LOL.

Beautiful,
    ...as expected Kim....!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by JimSawyer; 03-10-2012, 04:48 AM. Reason: typo
    Jim

The limits of the imagination are imaginary.
    No task is too tedious for Art.
    Rock and Scroll

My Gallery

My Website
    Featherwood Woodcrafts

Comment

Amazingly beautiful.
      DeWalt 788

Comment

You are a true artist, Kim!

Paul
        www.flicker.com/photos/woodworks44224

Comment

Very unique! Your talents always amaze me. Thanks for showing.

Comment

He looks fantastic! almost like a real fish!! What is your next one in the series?
            T
            Theresa

http://WoodNGoods.weebly.com

http://woodngoods.blogspot.com

Comment

That is a super piece of work, Kim. I wish that I had one-quarter of your talent & skill.
              Jack

Comment

Go girl! They keep getting better and better all the time!
                Carole

Follow me on my blog: www.scrollsawbowls.blogspot.com

Comment

Get the frying pan, that fishy looks good enough to eat.........thanks for sharing.
                  Gloria ............... Two memorable things to say in life, "Hello" for the first time, and "Good-bye" for the last.

Comment

Thanx for letting me share another one of my unique pieces.
                    Letting you share. Heck we look forward to your latest adventures...Thank you for keeping us in the loop you are a wonderfully talented artist. Another great job.
                    "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
                    Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Wow Kim, that turned out beautiful. I would really love to set and watch as you make one of those.
                      Hawaiilad
                      Larry

Comment

Thanx so much everyone!!! I had intended doing this one as a WIP, but life got in the way of making sawdust and I had to get it out the door. Plus I had several other projects going at the same time…one was a how-to article for the fall issue of SSW&C. Not gonna post details yet, but I will say it is one of my latest box designs.

I believe the next one is a trout...we only have white trout around here, wish they were those fabulous colored rainbows like up north. I started on some sketches but he hasn't given me the details on the size yet, so that will have a lot to do with the overall design. Depending on time constraints, I will try to do a WIP…but can’t promise it.

The Tripletail was all detailed using various sanding drums and diamond bits for the detail. I used a copy of the pattern with carbon paper to trace the scales on once it was all shaped…to help keep them as consistent as possible. Each scale took three separate passes with a small flame shaped bit, and then sanded repeatedly to remove all the burrs. As mentioned earlier, I try to do as much research as possible to get them as close as possible to the real thing…even if I have to listen to a few fish stories in between – lol! From what I heard, it appears mine was easier to make then they are to catch... I wish I had one of them in the frying pan, as they are delicious!

I have to agree with ya Larry, not about watching me work, but it would be a blast to have a bunch of people working around each other to learn different techniques and such. Everything I have learned is by trial and error and trying to find out as much info in magazines, books, forums on the internet and such. Wish there were some other avenues around here for on-hand classes…but I seem to be the only weird artist carving MDF and using a rubber mallet with spray paint in my area – lol!

Once again, I cannot thank everyone enough for all the kind comments and great friendships on this forum!
                        ~ Kim

A day in my shop is like a day at the beach...full of sunshine and ya never know where the sawdust may end up!

www.gonecoastalart.com

Comment

Holy carp...You DID do the scales by hand...WOW...!!!!
                          ...and people tell me I'm patient....
                          ..I bow to the Queen...
                          Jim

The limits of the imagination are imaginary.
                          No task is too tedious for Art.
                          Rock and Scroll

My Gallery

My Website
                          Featherwood Woodcrafts

Comment

That is amazing. Purely amazing. The best I can say is WOW!. Unfortunately that is the largest I can get the font here.
                            Sawdust King

If there is one thing I can make perfect every time it is sawdust.

Comment

Yup, Jim...one at a time! By the time I was finished I think my hand was fused to my dremel...perhaps it's carp-al tunnel - lol! Sorry couldn't resist! On the patience issue...I think my three boys would disagree - hee hee!

Thanx Sawdust King for the giant WOW!!!

Working on three more fishies at the moment for a couple commissioned jobs...two of them have scales, but the thrid one I am going to omit them...gotta save the hands for the dots that come after!
                              ~ Kim

www.gonecoastalart.com

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Linda In Phoenix
                                Farmers market "survey"
                                by Linda In Phoenix
                                Curiosity regarding farmers markets.
                                I have only looked into a few, and I know that each one has different requirements.
                                For those of you who do them, what are 'typical' requirements for yours?

The nearest one to me that might have potential, and allows crafters requires:...
                                Today, 11:14 AM
                              • Linda In Phoenix
                                Reply to Farmers market
                                by Linda In Phoenix
                                Truly a nice display. I'm happy for you! Our nearest 2 farmers markets are still food items only as county and city covid rules are still being applied. Our best nearby one is on county parks department property and they haven't lifted essential business and crowd restrictions yet. But the food...
                                Today, 11:00 AM
                              • Linda In Phoenix
                                Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                                by Linda In Phoenix
                                Sawstop instructions are some of the best I've ever worked with. Each part comes labeled with a letter to match instructions, hardware in color coded and labeled to match labels and colors in instructions. Full poster size instructions with pics in addition to manual instructions. Could only find one...
                                Today, 09:57 AM
                              • Rolf
                                Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                                by Rolf
                                So glad they were supportive, it is a bit disappointing that they had to be. But like any tool manufacturer they have to out source many of the components like the motor. At least the motor is mounted externally for an easy change. How true was the blade to the miter slots etc.
                                I like the fact...
                                Today, 08:34 AM
                              • will8989
                                Reply to Farmers market
                                by will8989
                                Steve posted it about 2 weeks ago. I just put out a small sampling of items to see what people are interested in. Seems to be everything! I did notice I had more credit charges than last year. But the ones who paid cash were the ones who paid $7 for a gallon of milk and $10 for a loaf of sourdough bread....
                                Today, 08:17 AM
                              Working...
                              X