Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Train Depot plan

Hi everyone

I'm thinking of building the train depot scroll saw clock plan (in the next month or so) from Wildwood Designs. It is quite large and elaborate and seems to have layered parts. Wondering if anyone here has any experience building it. Any info, tips or pics would be appreciated.

Here's a link to the plan>>> http://www.wildwooddesigns.com/Train-De ... 62C29.aspx

Thanks in advance.

Ben

I think if you do a general search in the archives you'll find someone has made this - seems it might have been a couple years or so back. I seem to recall seeing and the fella made some changes - it could be that he used different colored woods like intarsia but my recollection is that the piece was absolutely beautiful.

I hope you keep us in the loop with lots of pictures of your progress. I don't know if they are going to try and sell you the clock guts as part of the package but I'd go look at www.klockit.com for clock guts if you have not seen their stuff you'll be suitably impressed.

I think the piece looks like it would be fun to make.

John
    Last edited by Powakee; 02-26-2012, 08:50 AM.
    I've Got A Lot More To Learn
    About Leaving Battlegrounds Alone
    "~~ Molly Venter

Comment

Our club did this clock as a group project last year. We raffled it off at our annual wood working show. It is a lot of parts but the end result is certainly worth it. We put in all of the electronics except for the flashing lights, if it were for me I would put that in also. We are thinking of doing it again this year.
      One of our members scrolled all of the text. Besides some of the cutting I put in the guts. It is a tough group project.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Rolf; 02-26-2012, 05:10 PM.
      Rolf
      RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
      Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
      Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
      And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Hi Rolf

Excellent job on the train depot clock.

Looks like I have my work cut-out for me. I'm retired, I'll just take my time..... which I have plenty of.

What woods did you use? Is that a satin finish on the clock?

Ben

Comment

We used the wood that was recommended, walnut, poplar. birch ply.
          Yours will come out much better since you are the only one making it.
          It is a satin finish.
          Rolf

Comment

That is the clock I am preparing to start, and my wife has already started building. My wife and I are each making that same clock (different woods that each other though) and plan to enter them in the county fair, kind of a competition between us to see which a totally independant judge chooses. As far as any info or tips, heres what I can offer : Making this clock without using a tablesaw would really be a challenge, as there are many parts that require precision in order to fit right. Hopefully you have a table saw. I personally would order the pattern for this from TheArtFactory.com instead of Wildwood. Dirk at TheArtFactory.com is the designer of the clock, and wont jack you around , and hes always willing to help answer any questions you would have on its construction. And I would say to get all the extra part kits for it, the sound, and the light kit. If you are going to spend this much time building this clock, you might as well go all out and put the sound and lights in it. Yes, them parts are a bit pricy, but you will like the clock more with all the details.
            Happy scrollin!
            Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

Dale that is some excelente advice all around. I made a few small changes when I installed the electronics. I did not like where they put the photo cell so I relocated that.
              The photocell mutes the sound after dark.
              Rolf

Comment

Originally posted by lucky788scroller View Post
                That is the clock I am preparing to start, and my wife has already started building. My wife and I are each making that same clock (different woods that each other though) and plan to enter them in the county fair, kind of a competition between us to see which a totally independant judge chooses. As far as any info or tips, heres what I can offer : Making this clock without using a tablesaw would really be a challenge, as there are many parts that require precision in order to fit right. Hopefully you have a table saw. I personally would order the pattern for this from TheArtFactory.com instead of Wildwood. Dirk at TheArtFactory.com is the designer of the clock, and wont jack you around , and hes always willing to help answer any questions you would have on its construction. And I would say to get all the extra part kits for it, the sound, and the light kit. If you are going to spend this much time building this clock, you might as well go all out and put the sound and lights in it. Yes, them parts are a bit pricy, but you will like the clock more with all the details.
                Happy scrollin!
                lucky788scroller

Unfortunately I have already ordered the plan from Wildwood.
                I'll try to make the best of it. I have only ordered the train depot plan and clock kit so far from Wildwood. If I do decide to order the lights and sound package I will certainely consider the Art Factory.

I do have my RBI scrollsaw and a Jet contractors table saw and also have experience with patters and plans. I have made many items with both.

I did not know about the Art Factory before I ordered the plan. In fact, in all the 18 years or so of scrollin' and some Intarsia I had never heard of the Art Factory. I subscribe to various woodworking magazines and have never seen an advertisement from the Art Factory. Must be some pretty well kept secret for some reason, or maybe I just missed them.

Anyway, thank you and the others for the tips and encouragement. I'm going to give it a shot and see what happens.

Ben

Comment

pay close attention to the instructions for drilling the holes for the led lights and the switches and make sure they are done in proper sequence or they become a problem.
                  jim

Comment

Originally posted by Ben12 View Post
                    I did not know about the Art Factory before I ordered the plan. In fact, in all the 18 years or so of scrollin' and some Intarsia I had never heard of the Art Factory. I subscribe to various woodworking magazines and have never seen an advertisement from the Art Factory. Must be some pretty well kept secret for some reason, or maybe I just missed them.

Ben
                    They really do not advertise a lot, but Dirk has been around for a long time, and does quite a bit of work in 'the other' scroll sawing magazine as well as the many many designs he sells through the pattern places like scroller, wildwood and wooden teddybear, and his own site. If you ever get a chance to meet Dirk or Karen Boelman, or get a chance to see their display at a woodworking event, it is really breathtaking to see the projects on display. Until recently he had a pretty crappy website, but he has been working hard on it in recent months so a lot of his projects can be seen on it.

I am sure you will crank out a really nice looking depot clock, and once you study the plan a bit you will see why I mentioned having a tablesaw will help you out a lot.
                    I m hoping Rolf can elaborate a little more on the moving of the photocell, where it was moved to, and what effect it had on it, etc. The one change I already plan to make (besides wood species) is changing the grain direction on the white decorative fence-looking parts, making the grain vertical instead of horizontal, to me it seems like it would look much better. I may change the lettering as well, putting in a real town name in place of depot. I havent put blade to wood yet, so I may come up with more changes.
                    Keep us posted on your progress!
                    Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

Dale,
                      OK looks like I will have to give away all my secrets
                      Since this was a group project I had to install the electronics after the clock was already assembled ,if I were to do it again I would do it differently and before final assembly, better access. I did not like the wires all over the place so I made these changes.
                      For the sensor I drilled a hole in the roof just behind the front rail,. The sensor is on a small PC board so I took a small piece of oak and hollowed out the back of it to fit the board with a hole for the sensor, drilled the hole in the roof for the wires and glued the sensor assy to the roof. The possible drawback of this location is if the clock will hang in a dim room you may not get full volumn from the sound but that may be an issue no matter where the sensor is mounted. Sorry no pictures
                      I also relocated the push button switch from the front, I thought it took away from the appearance. I mounted it to a small board that I then glued inside the clock so the button stuck out a side window.

We did not install the light kit, my friends wife glued some glass baubles in place to look like lights.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Rolf; 02-29-2012, 07:45 AM.
                      Rolf

Comment

I am about 90% complete with cutting my wood for this clock. I started it about a year ago and took some time off to work on some other projects but I have been full bore on this for the past couple of weeks. I hope to have it done sometime this spring. As the snow and ice melt my fishing rod starts calling so I hope I can resist temptation.
                        Mike

Comment

Thanks Ben12 for starting this. I have been looking for a real challenging project and I love trains. I just order the plans, lights, sound parts from the Art Factory. This one looks like fun. I don't know when I can start it due to some smaller projects. Thanks again, I will keep in touch. RichB
                          Rich Delta P-20

Comment

Ok got started on the Train Depot Wall Clock. Have about 90% of the parts cut and just started scrollin' the back panel. Just waiting on some additional wood.

I take my time so you may not see regular postings. I also get bored easily and jump around to other projects. I'll keep plugging away though and eventually I will get it done.

Flickr: Scrollin12's Photostream Sure hope I did this right.

Save the link if your interested and click on it once in a while to see what's going on.

Ben

Comment

Pictures look great. What a lot of parts.
                              Rich Delta P-20

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• will8989
                                Bruce, the one on probation
                                by will8989
                                is doing great in therapy. His range of motion is about 3 weeks ahead of where they expected him to be. He has zero strength in his hand or arm. He tried to grate some cheese, and he couldn’t hold the grater. The doctor had to do repair stitching on the muscle and that will take the longest to heal....
                                Today, 12:59 AM
                              • will8989
                                Sundays market
                                by will8989
                                When we started out, it was 45 deg and rain. When we got there it was 44 deg and rain. By the time we left it stopped raining but was 42 deg. and windy. Luckily we are under cover but that doesn’t stop the wind. I sold 4 baskets, Sealife puzzle and a few other things. I moved the coffee grinders...
                                Today, 12:46 AM
                              • will8989
                                Reply to Dog Puzzle - Aussie
                                by will8989
                                I thought I read you use shrink wrapped bags for your puzzles. Where do you get them from?...
                                Today, 12:27 AM
                              • jim_mex
                                Reply to Carved Fretwork Pumpkin
                                by jim_mex
                                Hey Quartz - thats great scrolling and carving work which the LED lighting sets off a treat - or was that a trick?

Love it!
                                Yesterday, 08:47 PM
                              • KarlB
                                Reply to Carved Fretwork Pumpkin
                                by KarlB
                                Very well done!

Karl
                                Yesterday, 07:36 PM
                              Working...
                              X