Compound Cutting with Youngsters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compound Cutting with Youngsters

My youngest 8 year old walked up and informed me that school craft projects deadlines were soon approaching and he had the "Making Wooden Toys" issue in hand. He proceeded to open the mag to the checker project. My heart skipped a beat as I quickly grabbed the magazine and went looking for something a little more 8 yr oldish. He had already done the simple puzzles and was ready to go on to something more substantial, so we looked. He found several projects he liked, but either I didn't have the right materials or the projects required tools I also don't have. I finally conceded to let him try the compound cutting project.

Then, the wife informed me that 40% of the project had to be original design. Hmmmm, this keeps getting better and better. I wasn't going to cheat and do the design for him, so we started out sketching some ideas, and then thought about doing checker pieces with cat heads (and dogs which are still on the drawing board). Definately met the 40% requirement, but there was no we he was going to sketch cat profiles. So, off to google to find front and side profiles for cats. We kept with the dimension in the article, but that is about all. I'm not the most patient for teaching photoshop, but teaching to an 8yr old about killed me. I got the pictures in and aligned and he cleaned them and finished drawing out missing parts of the outlines.

I saw in the checker article that the author did not use the compound cutting jig, but used tape to hold everything together. I thought this might be easier so we tried that approach. He did pretty good on the cutting (first attempt on pine, second on oak). Good thing about cutting thick wood, you have time to think . . . . .

-------Randy
    Last edited by hotshot; 02-11-2012, 10:59 PM.
    "Ever Striving, Never Arriving"

Randy I can only see one picture...with your son at the computer
    Hawaiilad
    Larry

Comment

I see four pics. Maybe a problem has been corrected already? I've got 8 year old twin grands and can't imagine the patience it would take to have them do this project. Congrats to you for that. I'm sure he appreciates it.
      John

Excalibur EX21
      RBI Hawk G4

Comment

He is quite the nice looking young man and very proud of his work. Nicely done both of you.

Just a tip...

Here is the preferred way to post photos. This method will apply a thumbnail so that messages load faster, keeping those who are still on dial up in mind.

If it is a new thread scroll down below the message box to additional options and look for manage attachments,Click on Manage Attachments, click Browse, find your file name on your computer, click it, then click Upload. It may take a few seconds to load.
        Once you see the file name under current attachments you can close the window.
        If you want you can Preview Post (a wise choice) then if all is well, click on Submit reply.

If you are uploading a picture to an existing thread (conversation)
        Click on the Go Advanced button under the reply box, Click on Manage Attachments, click Browse, find your file name on your computer, click it, then click Upload. It may take a few seconds to load.
        Once you see the file name under current attachments you can close the window.
        If you want you can Preview Post (a wise choice) then if all is well, click on Submit reply.
        Good luck
        "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
        Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Fantastic Randy. Isn't it wonderful that we can pass our love of our craft (art) and our skills on to another generation. My almost 9 granddaughter loves to do scrolling with me (whenever she is with us for more than a few hours that's not on a school day), but is definitely not at your son's level yet.

george
          A day without sawdust is a day without sunshine.
          George

delta 650, hawk G426

Comment

The beautiful smile says it all.........good work both of you.
            Gloria ............... Two memorable things to say in life, "Hello" for the first time, and "Good-bye" for the last.

Comment

Randy, I agree with WD. That smile is the payoff for all the work you put into making this project happen. And if he's doing this well at 8, imagine what he'll be doing at 10! Tell him that we're all proud of him, and that he did a lot better than many grown-ups.
              Carole

Follow me on my blog: www.scrollsawbowls.blogspot.com

Comment

I like the determend look on his face while cutting at the saw. And also the smile when he finished.

Comment

So beautiful. Nice work and he is so proud of it and he should be.
                  Diane
                  Dragon
                  Owner of a nice 21" Excalibur
                  Owner of a Dewalt 788
                  PuffityDragon on AFSP

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• tgiro01
                    Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                    by tgiro01
                    One issue I found with the insert that comes with the saw was the areas they smoothed for the kickback pawls. If the insert is leveled correctly, those areas are sitting about 1/32-inch below the table. I had a problem with some small pieces getting caught and jamming because of that. Sawstop's recommendation...
                    Today, 08:18 AM
                  • Rolf
                    Reply to Interesting pallet
                    by Rolf
                    That is a definit rescue for a special project. I rarely get or use any pallet wood. But did use some from the pallet that my drill press was on. It looked like pine but was was very hard, carefully checked for nails and ran it through the drum sander with some 80 grit to get rid of any small grit.
                    Today, 08:16 AM
                  • Quartz43
                    Reply to Carved Fretwork Pumpkin
                    by Quartz43
                    I wish I could post the video as it looks better with the lights blinking. I used some red clear plastic behind the eyes and nose. It was a fun project.
                    Yesterday, 07:29 PM
                  • Linda In Phoenix
                    Reply to Interesting pallet
                    by Linda In Phoenix
                    Maybe a star shining to tell us something? That piece of wood is a very special piece! Good eye.
                    Yesterday, 07:27 PM
                  • Misouri Wayne
                    Reply to Bruce, the one on probation
                    by Misouri Wayne
                    Tough situation. Just have to take it one day at a time.
                    Yesterday, 04:55 PM
                  Working...
                  X