special program

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• special program

greetings, im looking for some tips and advice, i have been asked to do a short program on scrollsaw work for my lodge, right now i just do scrolling ,like fretwork , i havent attempted intarsia yet, any tips on what to present , so far i was going to show some of the projects ive cut, go over blades, and drill bits, showing different sizes , even showing patterns and a few pieces from start to finish , my time frame is 20 to 30 minutes not nearly enough time to put a lot of information out any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated i will be doing this wednesday night

Since you only have 20-30 minutes, I would aim toward trying to spark interest among the group in learning more. I would probably start with a brief intro on basic stuff, just telling them about how a scroll saw works, applying patterns and following lines. Then I would spend some time showing them what types of things can be made with a scroll saw. They should see a range of beginner to advanced type work in different styles, so that they understand that it doesn't necessarily take years of experience and thousands of $$ in tools to create some pretty cool stuff. Take as many of your own projects as practical. For project styles such as intarsia that you don't have samples of, maybe take a copy of a few pattern catalogs. Let them ask questions and adapt the rest of the presentation to what seems to be of most interest to them. It would be great if there would be enough interest to start a beginner's class, or at least an opportunity to mentor a couple of the guys.

Good luck, let us know how it turns out!
    Homer : "Oh, and how is education supposed to make me feel smarter. Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain."

Comment

thank you, i have been posting pics of finished projects on my face book page, and have sparked a lot of interest , one friend actually dug out his fathers old saw and was thinking of starting so hopefully he"ll be at that meeting, im trying to get a group started up here in nw pa but so far not much interest

Comment

I have done several programs for my clubs as well as some WW shows in my area. I highly recommend doing some compound cutting projects as part of your program. Folks are totally amazed at how you can yield an item like a bird house or ornament out of a solid block of wood. After cutting it I kinda re-assemble the block and pass it around.
        Scott
        Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

the program went extremely well thanks for the ideas , there may be 2 more people interested in learning but we will see, i took a few finished projects, different blades, drill bits, let them see some cuts i was working on, the real thrill was passing around the newest issue of the magazine and a current issue of creative woodworks and crafts gave them this link , one guy took a subscription card from the magazine, so it turned out well for everyone, i even sold two pieces and got an order for another one

Comment

Any day you can meet with fellow WW and help them develop/expand is a great day in my book. Thanks for taking time to help others.
            Scott
            Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

That's great, Lefty. Glad to hear it went well and that you got some positive feedback!
              Homer : "Oh, and how is education supposed to make me feel smarter. Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain."

Comment

Thanks for the feedback and don't forget to share pics with us of your work. Glad it went well!
                "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
                Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Linda In Phoenix
                  Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                  by Linda In Phoenix
                  Sawstop instructions are some of the best I've ever worked with. Each part comes labeled with a letter to match instructions, hardware in color coded and labeled to match labels and colors in instructions. Full poster size instructions with pics in addition to manual instructions. Could only find one...
                  Today, 09:57 AM
                • Rolf
                  Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                  by Rolf
                  So glad they were supportive, it is a bit disappointing that they had to be. But like any tool manufacturer they have to out source many of the components like the motor. At least the motor is mounted externally for an easy change. How true was the blade to the miter slots etc.
                  I like the fact...
                  Today, 08:34 AM
                • will8989
                  Reply to Farmers market
                  by will8989
                  Steve posted it about 2 weeks ago. I just put out a small sampling of items to see what people are interested in. Seems to be everything! I did notice I had more credit charges than last year. But the ones who paid cash were the ones who paid $7 for a gallon of milk and $10 for a loaf of sourdough bread....
                  Today, 08:17 AM
                • Sandy Oaks
                  Reply to Farmers market
                  by Sandy Oaks
                  Way to go, Betty. Our farmers market does not allow craft sales.
                  Today, 08:17 AM
                • Rolf
                  Reply to Farmers market
                  by Rolf
                  Good for you! Who designed the small nativity?
                  Today, 08:10 AM
                Working...
                X