Foot Switch on DeWalt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Foot Switch on DeWalt

The foot switch on my Dewalt 788 quit working to turn the machine on and off, if I hold it down the machince runs but when I let up it stops. I replaced it and still have the same problem, any ideas out there.

Arthur

Might you have replaced it with a dead-man switch instead of a press on press off switch?

Comment

Checked to make sure I had the correct foot switch. Tried the old and new with another machine and they both worked fine.

Arthur

Comment

What happens if you plug the saw directly in to the wall? I'm assuming it will work fine - then the problem is with the switch.

Comment

really don't sound like the foot switch was the problem,HOWEVER , did you try blowing out the switch on the saw itself.......even with a foot switch the power has to got thru the saw switch.

Comment

If I plug the saw into the wall every thing works fine. Tried the foot switch on another tool and it worked fine. I'll have to blow the main switch out and see if that will help but it turns on and off and runs the machine okay.

Comment

Originally posted by oregoncarver View Post
              The foot switch on my Dewalt 788 quit working to turn the machine on and off, if I hold it down the machince runs but when I let up it stops. I replaced it and still have the same problem, any ideas out there.

Arthur
              I didn't know the 788 came with a foot switch. Did it work differently before? They make different types of switches. One you have to hold down & the other one you just touch it to turn it on & then touch it again to stop.
              PERK

Comment

I purchased the foot switch from Rockler when I bought the saw several years ago. It was working fine and then it only worked when I hold the padle down, going to take it apart this weekend and see what is going on with it, got a new one but I think the box was marked wrong, going to return it tomorrow and try another one.

Arthur

Comment

Well I determined it was not the machince switch, it worked fine. Took apart the old foot switch and played with it for a bit and put it back together and it worked for about 2 on / off cycles. Looked closer at the new one I got the other day, box said one thing, the switch was labeled different so back to the store for a new one and all is working good now.

Thanks for the help.

Arthur

Comment

Some thing is screwy

If the saw worked fine direct,and the footswitch worked fine on other saws.
                    Something is screwy ,intermittent problems ,drive you crazy.some mysteries
                    are clasic ,and just proves our falability,Glad you got it fixed.
                    My Very Best!
                    Carl
                    "Home Of The Dust Free Scroll Saw"
                    Remember (IT is WHAT it IS)( Unless YOU change IT!)

Comment

Foot wiring to 788

Can you explain how your Foot Switch is wired into the 788's existing wiring?

Does you Foot Switch contain an "ON/OFF" switch to control the AC Power along with a User Speed Pot (Foot Controlled) that wires into the Circuit Board? Or is the
                      Foot Control AC switch wired in Parallel with the "ON/OFF" switch on the Top of the Saw?

Must you remove the wiring Plug for the User Speed Pot located on the Saw to use the Foot Control?

I've got some of the circuit drawn out for the VR1, VR2, and
                      User speed Pot, and I'd like to know how to add the Foot Control to this information.

Can you take a picture of the wiring inside of the saw showing the end result of adding the Foot Switch?

Thanks.

Larry

Comment

Larry, the foot switch I use all you have to do is unplug the saw from the wall outlet and plug it into the foot switch and then plug the foot switch into the outlet. I prefer the tap once is on and tap again it is off switch, they do have one that you have to hold your foot down on when you want the saw to run , let up and it stops. I got my replacement one at Harbor Freight for 14.99. It isn't as good as the one I got from Rockler several years ago but Rockler was out last week.

Arthur

Comment

Larry, I've used the "dead man" switch from HF, and it worked fine. You just have to remember to turn the original switch on the 788 to "on", and then tape over it to keep dust out. Very simple, works great.
                          John

Excalibur EX21
                          RBI Hawk G4

Comment

Originally posted by oregoncarver View Post

Arthur
                            Ok..first off I AM blonde but...isn't this what a footswitch is supposed to do? When you hold it down...it runs, when you let up..it stops. I thought that's what footswitches were for
                            Janette
                            www.square-designs.com

Comment

I was not going to say anything Janette..but I do believe you are right...
                              "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
                              Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• jim_mex
                                Reply to New tools
                                by jim_mex
                                Hi Rhys - I did finally get the center stand for the bike a couple of weeks back after it was stuck in customs for almost a month. Still have to put it on. The paddock stand will help me do this - Lol!

Of course you are correct in that the center stand does a similar job but the advantage...
                                Yesterday, 11:14 PM
                              • Hobbyhorse
                                Reply to New tools
                                by Hobbyhorse
                                Did you ever get the centre stand for the bike? A paddock stand does the same thing finally, I guess.
                                Yesterday, 11:03 PM
                              • Hobbyhorse
                                Reply to Home remodeling completed !!!
                                by Hobbyhorse
                                Brilliant stuff Jim. Congratulations on the layout and the workmanship, but most of all enjoy it.
                                Yesterday, 10:58 PM
                              • KarlB
                                Reply to Home remodeling completed !!!
                                by KarlB
                                Very nice Jim. You have a very contemporary look now! Since I do cabinet, Entertainment centers, etc. for my work I see a lot of the same looks being done here in Naples. (i.e. large porcelain tiles, lighted dropped ceiling)

I do like your use of the space in the door way for additional...
                                Yesterday, 09:41 PM
                              • KarlB
                                Reply to Craft Knife blade holder
                                by KarlB
                                Well judging from the photos, it looks like it could be a scroll or band saw. (The photos, although a bit blurred, show a few burrs at the cut.) It also appears the set screw may go into the other side of the cut as the hole on the blade would allow the pass through. Maybe, however it is just a pressure...
                                Yesterday, 09:31 PM
                              Working...
                              X