Crosses and thanks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crosses and thanks

Thanks Barry for the photo you posted that I could use for a pattern. Thanks Steve for your photo with your idea for a base. I was able to combine your ideas with a little innovation of my own to end up with what I visualized. I really wanted these crosses to be able to sit on a dresser or the like but a
    3/8" square piece of wood would have been pretty shaky attached to a base. I fell asleep right away last night and woke up about 1/2 later and just tossed and turned, so I got up and that's when I came up with the idea to modify Barry's cross so as to work with a base.

As soon as I completed the first one this morning, my wife claimed it. I guess it's going to my grandson this coming weekend for his Baptism. Not a bad idea. The first one in the photo is cut out of maple, the second one, purple heart and the third one is sapele. I would have used Sharon's idea of using a dowel when attaching the cross to the base but the way I designed the bottom of the cross, I was able to just glue and clamp it. Worked out great. They aren't finished yet.

Also, got my first issue of the SSW&C magazine and even if the magazine wasn't any good, which it is, I feel the $19.95 per year is well spent just for the use of this forum. Without the help of some of you great people out there, I'd still be watching TV. You guys are so accomodating and insirational. I love you all.

BTW, this is the first time I have ever tilted the table on my saw. COOL
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Minnesota scroller; 10-08-2006, 09:54 PM.
    Mike

Making sawdust with a Dremel 1680.
    www.picturetrail.com/naturephotos

Those are a darned sight more impressive than popsicle sticks! I bet they prove to be very popular. Well done!

Gill
    There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.
    (Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Comment

YEAH!! What she said!!! You claimed you wanted something plain and simple! Then you went and changed the rules!! They look great, but you better go cut some more now, because you will sell out fast! Dale
      Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

Those look great, and should impress your patrons a bunch!

Pete

Comment

Nicely done Mike! Great pattern, I'd say you have a winner there also.
          Bill

DeWalt 788

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

God gives us only what we can handle.. Apparently God thinks I am one tough cookie.....

Comment

what happened to simple....they look great!

Comment

Mike those are great and would make simple easy to make gifts for friends
              Daryl S. Walters Psycotic scroller with a DeWalt 788

Comment

Nice job Mike,
                Those look great,good luck on your sales.
                Bill
                Delta P-20

Comment

Those look great, you should sell so many of those that you might have to upgrade to a cnc router for mass production.
                  Jeff Powell

Comment

Very nice Mike,

I like the base design you came up with.

Regards,
                    Marcel
                    http://marleb.com
                    DW788. -Have fun in the shop or it isn't a hobby anymore.

NOTE: No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Comment

Originally posted by Minnesota scroller
                      Thanks Barry for the photo you posted that I could use for a pattern. I came up with the idea to modify Barry's cross so as to work with a base.
                      Mike,
                      I think you've done a great job on cutting out the crosses, and I hope you sell a ton of them.

I would like to clear up one thing though, This is not Barry's cross. This pattern is available in Tom Zieg's book "300 Christian and Inspirational Patterns for Scroll Saw Woodworking" which is available from Fox Chapel Publishing.

The pattern was also featured in issue 2 of SSW, when Harold Foos scrolled 13 of them and presented them to the family's of the 13 victims of the Littleton Colorado school shooting.
                      I think it's very important to give credit where credit is due. I don't agree with Barry posting the pic and telling you to use it as a pattern, it quite simply was not his pattern to give.
                      Marsha
                      LIFE'S SHORT, USE IT WELL

Comment

Originally posted by Marsha
                        I think it's very important to give credit where credit is due. I don't agree with Barry posting the pic and telling you to use it as a pattern, it quite simply was not his pattern to give.
                        You're very right, Marsha, and it looks bad, but actually Mike had previously agreed to buy the Zieg book... from me.

Pete

Comment

Marsha, if you reread Barry's post, he did not suggest I use it as a pattern. He posted the photo as an example with the info of where to acquire the pattern and I used it but also modified it for my use. And yes, I had committed to buy the book with the pattern, from Pete before I even printed the copy from Barry's post. However, I was too anxious to give this a shot so I scrolled it before I got the book.

All Barry is guilty of is providing an example of what the finished product would look like. I suppose I'm guilty of jumping the gun and doing the project before I had the actual pattern in hand. Not only that, once a design is changed, it is a new design. Personally, I think I improved it some.
                          Mike

Making sawdust with a Dremel 1680.
                          www.picturetrail.com/naturephotos

Comment

Be careful Mike, changing a few lines on a pattern and calling it yours can get you into heaps of trouble, whether you bought the pattern, borrowed it, or stole it. Dale
                            Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                            X