1800's? All Wooden Scroll Saw... Help to identify please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1800's? All Wooden Scroll Saw... Help to identify please

I bought this saw many years ago and have never been able to find any info about it. Its all wooden, made from oak and pine.
    (below is a pic of the saw running)

The motor was added by me about 10 years ago so I could use the saw and it works great, better than my new one does.
    Anyways, if anyone has any info about it it would be greatly appreciated.
    I have posted about 12 more pics on my site with more info.
    You can see those by CLICKING HERE
    Thanks for your help,
    swphotography
    Last edited by swphotography; 12-08-2007, 09:18 PM. Reason: Updated picture link

Hello Shane, I personally can't help you with identifying your saw, but you may want to check out Rick Hutcheson's site and drop him a line. http://www.scrollsaws.com/ He has quite a collection of saw's and I'm sure could give you some direction with yours. If you visit his site, click on the link on the left titled "scroll saw collection" you won't be sorry.

By the way, you have a great collection of photo's......very nice work sir!

Best of luck.
    Bill

DeWalt 788

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

God gives us only what we can handle.. Apparently God thinks I am one tough cookie.....

Comment

Thanks for the link Bill .... I will check it out.

Shane

Comment

That's quite a saw, and remarkably modern-looking.

I Googled the address "351 Franklin Street" and see that today there's a Quality Inn at that address in East Windsor, NJ. That area makes sense as a possible location for a 19th century machinery producer. Might be worth calling the city hall and seeing if a prior inhabitant could have been your saw's manufacturer.

In Patrick Spielman's Scroll Saw Handbook, there are several pictures of old saws, but none are made entirely of wood. One early saw, the "Iron Centennial" of 1879, had a number of wooden parts.

The book mentions that historian Harold Barker has documented over 300 scroll saws that appeared in the US between 1800 and 1960. Here is contact information for Mr. Barker:

http://www.apex-ephemera.com/haroldbarker/index.htm

Please post back if you should learn more!

Pete

Comment

With the problems I read about that many people have with their modern saws, there are times I think a person may be better off with the old treadmill type.
          Mike

Making sawdust with a Dremel 1680.
          www.picturetrail.com/naturephotos

Comment

Really wonderful images on your photosite.
            You have a real gem there.
            CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
            "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
            Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

I'm not familiar with that saw, but it sure looks awesome. I'm jealous that you have it and I don't.
              Jeff Powell

Comment

Well it's been over a year since this was originally posted and I still havn't come up with any information about this saw.

I contacted Rick Hutcheson's a while back and he was stumped. I have also posted it on several other forums and so far nobody has been able to come up with any thing.

I figured I would give the post a bump and try again. Any info ya can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
                Shane

Comment

swphotography...maybe it's just a home made saw by a handyman?
                  Gloria ............... Two memorable things to say in life, "Hello" for the first time, and "Good-bye" for the last.

Comment

I think you are probably right Wood Dog.

Thanks for the reply,
                    Shane

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                    X