Custom fit for the Dust Bee Gone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom fit for the Dust Bee Gone

When I received my medium sized DBG, I discovered that it was a little to large. I had been cautioned by Gloria (WD) that this might be the case, so I wasn't surprised. You can see, in my "mug shots" that it was a little too long, and the velcro on the straps didn't meet. Here's what it looked like:
    DBG1.jpg DBG4.jpg DBG3.jpg

After recovering from the shock of seeing how gray my hair has gotten, I contacted Paula, the woman who created the mask, and sent her the pictures, along with my ideas for creating a better fit. I wanted to get her clearance to go ahead. Since the mask isn't cheap, the last thing I wanted was to ruin it.

The first thing I did was to pin it up to determine how much to trim off the bottom. 1/2" seemed right. I detached the bottom of the mask from the strap, and basted the edges together above where I would cut. I then cut off about 1/2", and basted the strap back into place. I removed the pieces of velcro from the strap, and relocated them so that they would grab properly. I held this in place with pins.
    DBG trimmed and basted.jpg DBG ready to sew.jpg

Once I was satisfied with the fit, I sewed the strap to the mask, and the velcro into its new location. It fits really well now, and I can't wait to give it a try.

DBG1A.jpg DBG4A.jpg DBG 3A.jpg
    Carole

Follow me on my blog: www.scrollsawbowls.blogspot.com

Glad you received your mask Carole. I found it fitted me very well...a little larger head frame I guess Today I have been wearing the Trend while working in the shop and each day I get more used to wearing it. Yea my head does get a little wet from sweat, but I have been wearing a head band to "sop" up some of that. The main thing is, we are wearing something.
    Hawaiilad
    Larry

Comment

Carole were you afraid the small would be too small? Too bad you had to alter it to make it fit but at least you have one.
      "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
      Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Mike, there is no small, just a youth size, and that is supposed to be a lot smaller than the medium. Altering stuff is the name of the game when you're not standard size, but this was easy to do.
        Carole

Comment

Don't go wearing that when you do your banking.
          Rolf
          RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
          Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
          Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
          And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Rolf, I don't think my ATM machine really cares.
            Carole

Comment

Your a "Jill of all trades", sweeeeet reconstruction Carole. Did Paula by any chance tell you why they don't make a small? I've never seen a youth size advertised.
              The only thing that bothers me sometimes is the wire across my nose, I gave it a pinch so it lays on each side on my schnoz, works better for me. Eager to read about your thoughts on that other mask you ordered. Totobo or something like that for a name. Thanks for posting those pix, and like Rolf said.........stay out of the banks, we don't want to see you on the 11:00 news....
              Gloria ............... Two memorable things to say in life, "Hello" for the first time, and "Good-bye" for the last.

Comment

WD, Paula offered to send me a youth size, and keep only the one that fit best. Since I had bought mine from Klingspor,as part of a larger order, that seemed tacky, even if it was her product.

The youth size is not commonly advertised, but I did see reference to it. I had assumed that it would be too small, but it does make no sense that there isn't a small adult size. I was impressed with how easy it was to alter the mask, for anyone comfortable with a sewing machine. Ironically, many people say that the scroll saw is just like a sewing machine. How about turning that around, and saying that the sewing machine is just like a scroll saw? Maybe we'd get more men sewing that way.

I'm trying the mask out this morning, and I did have to pinch the wire. It was the first time I could use my eye protection in a normal position, and I got barely any fogging. I'll give this a go for a few days, then try the totobobo. May be that the different masks are better for certain conditions than others. We'll see, and I'll post results.
                Carole

Comment

Carole, the guy reviewing the videotapes from the ATM would wonder why you are disguising your face!

Comment

Patte, that's easy. To cover the wrinkles. Now to get a head covering for the gray . .
                    Carole

Comment

I had the same problem with the velcro but solved it with a tuck in the strap. Otherwise the size is fine. I hadn't thought of hiding wrinkles with the mask. Might work. I'm happy with my gray hair so that won't have to be dealt with.

Jan

Comment

mohamidine bunny ,that would be cute!
                        carl
                        "Home Of The Dust Free Scroll Saw"
                        Remember (IT is WHAT it IS)( Unless YOU change IT!)

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Linda In Phoenix
                          Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                          by Linda In Phoenix
                          Sawstop instructions are some of the best I've ever worked with. Each part comes labeled with a letter to match instructions, hardware in color coded and labeled to match labels and colors in instructions. Full poster size instructions with pics in addition to manual instructions. Could only find one...
                          Today, 09:57 AM
                        • Rolf
                          Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                          by Rolf
                          So glad they were supportive, it is a bit disappointing that they had to be. But like any tool manufacturer they have to out source many of the components like the motor. At least the motor is mounted externally for an easy change. How true was the blade to the miter slots etc.
                          I like the fact...
                          Today, 08:34 AM
                        • will8989
                          Reply to Farmers market
                          by will8989
                          Steve posted it about 2 weeks ago. I just put out a small sampling of items to see what people are interested in. Seems to be everything! I did notice I had more credit charges than last year. But the ones who paid cash were the ones who paid $7 for a gallon of milk and $10 for a loaf of sourdough bread....
                          Today, 08:17 AM
                        • Sandy Oaks
                          Reply to Farmers market
                          by Sandy Oaks
                          Way to go, Betty. Our farmers market does not allow craft sales.
                          Today, 08:17 AM
                        • Rolf
                          Reply to Farmers market
                          by Rolf
                          Good for you! Who designed the small nativity?
                          Today, 08:10 AM
                        Working...
                        X