Peugeot 400V Variable Speed Scroll Saw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peugeot 400V Variable Speed Scroll Saw

I've just ordered a Peugeot 400V Variable Speed Scroll Saw (yet to arrive). How does this model measure up? I've been using a Hegner Multicut 2 for the past 30 years but it's getting a bit too 'clunky' for me now (I'm getting a little clunky myself) and well due its retirement.

Any cons with the Peugeot I need to be aware of?

Never heard of it. Where do you live? I can't imagine that it is better than the Hegner.
    Rolf
    RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
    Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
    Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
    And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

I never heard of it either. Looking it up online it looks to me you took a HUGE step down in scroll saws. I can't find any reviews on it either. Doesn't appear to be an item most people buy. I would be very wary about this purchase. You might want to reconsider before you use it and do some more research.

Comment

One of the things I like about my scroll saws is that neither have variable speed. This is a source for problems and not cheap to fix.
        Hegner Polymax- 3,Hegner Multimax-3,
        "No PHD, just a DD 214"

Comment

I cannot picture using a saw without variable speed. There are times I cut 3/4" wood and need the speed cranked up. Then there are other times i'm cutting 1/4" or 1/8" and have to slow the saw down. This is especially true if I'm cutting something very intricate. How are you able to do that without having variable speed?

Comment

Originally posted by Rolf View Post
            Never heard of it. Where do you live? I can't imagine that it is better than the Hegner.

Comment

Just taken delivery and put it through its paces. It doesn't feel like a step-down from the Hegner. Surpassed my expectations. How the hell did I manage with a single speed scroll saw before???!!! It's a joy to use. Thoroughly recommend it.

Comment

OOOOKAAAAY.... Before you rush out and buy one on my recommendation... I've had a little more time to evaluate it.

Cutting: Superb! The variable speed allows for precision cutting on thin brass. I'm cutting 1.5mm brass to make hinges. On the Hegner, it was difficult to prevent the saw running away with it but slowing it down allows for absolute precision.

Blade-changing: fiddly and time-consuming. Luckily for me, I'm retired and have all the time in the world (Grim Reaper permitting). But, if you want to do a lot of pierced work and you have a production run, this is not the machine to use! The bottom blade-clamp is all but inaccessible. The machine comes with a panel covering the lower 'arm'. It serves no purpose other than aesthetic so take it off and stash it in case it conks out before the warranty has run out. Under that, there is a metal cowl that covers the lower arm and this has a slot where you push the blade in and a little hole for the allen key. It serves no purpose whatsoever other than to make the lower blade clamp as inaccessible as possible. Take it off! Once the warranty has run out, you can bin these superfluous bits. That helps considerably in that you can actually see where the blade-end is going. The blade clamps have far too much swivel. There need only be a little movement to prevent the blade bending at the clamped ends but these have so much, it makes tightening the clamp unnecessarily difficult. I'm sure I'll get used to it but, at the moment, it is eliciting profanities I've never even heard (I bet I can even print "Fershlugginner!" and get away with it). The good news is that blade breakage is very rare in use so, unless you're doing a lot of pierced work, you shouldn't have to worry about the fershlugginner clamps too much (wash my mouth). Now I've got it and because the cutting performance is so good, I shall work around this problem or devise some Heath Robinson solution. But it's worth knowing for any of you who might think about getting one.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Linda In Phoenix
                  Reply to Shrink wrap systems
                  by Linda In Phoenix
                  I checked out www.ULine.com We used them years ago at the company I used to work at, and they were really reputable to work with. They have machines, guns, bags, and film. I just don't really know what works best, as well as if there is a really great priced to buy from. To date I've been a frugal...
                  Yesterday, 10:01 PM
                • will8989
                  Reply to Dog Puzzle - Aussie
                  by will8989
                  Will check out amazon tomorrow. Thanks.
                  Yesterday, 09:53 PM
                • will8989
                  Reply to Shrink wrap systems
                  by will8989
                  Well, I used to get my shrink wrap rolls from AC Moore, and just used the last roll😟. I use a heat gun but lately and only shrink the Sealife puzzles to keep the pieces in place. I only use it on puzzles because of my display board otherwise I would have broken pieces all over the place. Also easier...
                  Yesterday, 09:49 PM
                • will8989
                  Reply to Bruce, the one on probation
                  by will8989
                  He’s gotten me through some pretty tough times and always has my back so It’s the least I can do. Good thing I had the freezer stocked! That has been a time saver. I made a pot of chili on Sunday and got 6 meals out of it! As for payback, I’m getting a new shed in the spring! I had to do my flap...
                  Yesterday, 09:32 PM
                • will8989
                  Reply to Sundays market
                  by will8989
                  We did. I only went $40 over budget. I got a 73” x 12” x 3/4” curly cherry for $55. Just needs to be run through the sander and cut to size. It’s a pinkish cherry and is so pretty. A piece of deep red redwood, 2 pieces of walnut each about 12” wide. Good haul.
                  Yesterday, 08:56 PM
                Working...
                X