Crosses - help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crosses - help!

I was just granted permission to place some of my work in our local christian gift store. They keep just 20% so that sounds like a good deal to me. They really liked my portraits but 1 thing they sell a lot of at different times of the year is crosses. However, they said the simpler, the better. They don't want any fretwork victorian crosses. All they want is the simple stand alone style from 6" - 10" tall. I'm sure some of you talented woodworkers have made these and I need some tips. Scrolling is the only thing I've ever been able to do with wood. When I was in shop class in school, everyone else was making cedar chests, desks and dressers and I made a serving tray. I didn't even get a good grade on that.

A free standing cross must sit on a base. Cutting out the cross should be no problem, but what about the base? How do you attach the cross to the base? The only tools I have besides the scroll saw is a band saw, table saw, miter saw and a couple sanders.

Suggestions and directions, please.
    Mike

Making sawdust with a Dremel 1680.
    www.picturetrail.com/naturephotos

Crosses

Hi Mike, here is a couple quick ideas for crosses. The ones with a base I just countersink a drywall screw up through the bottom. Hope this helps. I also tilt the table on my scrollsaw to cut my bases in various shapes and sizes. I finish them with a spray lacquer. Steve
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Steviegwood; 10-06-2006, 08:13 PM.
    If This HillBilly Can't Fix it Then it Ain't Broke!!!
    My Gallery
    [email protected]

Comment

Hey Mike -- you have everything you need to make a base-- just relax and enjoy doing it and you will find it is really simple.. First of all decide what type of base you want ( rectangle. oval, square -etc.) that is the hardest part. Cut your base and round off the edges with your sander . now find the place you want the cross to be on the base and make some type of pencil mark to be in the center of your spot on the base. Now on the center of your cross, Next drill a small hole in the center of both- I use a small piece of a wooden q tip or aq tiny piece of dowel- sometimes I use a small nail, depending on the weight of the cross. Glue the dowel in place on the cross then on the base- add drop of glue on the bottom of the cross also. Fit the dowel into the base ,securing with a dab of glue and wallah -- youve made a base,,
      Hope this helps
      Sharon

Comment

Steve, nice crosses. Actually, they want them even simpler - very plain. Maybe if they saw yours, they would change their mind. Thanks for the tips and suggestions.

Sharon, thanks for your instructions also. I never thought about the ol' dowel trick.

I appreciate this and more feedback. Has anybody seen paterns for crosses anywhere?
        Mike

Comment

Mike,
          Try here: http://www.foxchapelpublishing.com/p...ils.cfm?PC=407

Also there is a book called 300 Christian and Inspirational Patterns, by John Zieg, published by none other than Fox Chapel!

I use both of them and have crosses in two Christian bookstores.

Like Steve said, counter bore a hole in the base and center a hole in the cross. I use a woodscrew to hild them together.
          Last edited by Woodbutcher68; 10-06-2006, 09:48 PM.
          Fred

There's a fine line between woodworking and insanity, I'm just not sure which side of the line I'm on!

Comment

Mike look on the Free scrollsaw patterns and the Absolutly Free Scrollsaw patterns web sites on MSN. You will find them under the archives files and the vault files.
            Sharon

Comment

Thanks for the info Fred.

Sharon, I've checked those sites out and all I could find was fretwork patterns or portraits. I'm looking for simple. Thanks anyway.
              Mike

Comment

Ok, take one board and lay it on the workbench. Take a second board, a little shorter, and nail it to the other one crossways. Stand it up and stick it in a buicket of sand. How much simpler do ya want? Dale
                Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

I think someone is being a smart aleck.

Look below me for another smart aleck.
                  Last edited by Minnesota scroller; 10-06-2006, 10:09 PM.
                  Mike

Comment

Sorry about that. I had to delete my message when I realised they don't make popsicle sticks 6" long.

Gill
                    There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.
                    (Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Comment

but they DO on this side of the pond! Thats why were all so big!!!
                      Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

Seriously guys, what they showed me at the store was straight cuts vertically and horizontally, set on a simple base. They tell me that's what sells best. Actually, I didn't see any real nice crosses, so maybe if they had a couple, they would sell. ALso, it may be due to the price point. The one I saw was about 8" tall for $11.95.
                        Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Minnesota scroller
                          Seriously guys, what they showed me at the store was straight cuts vertically and horizontally, set on a simple base. They tell me that's what sells best. Actually, I didn't see any real nice crosses, so maybe if they had a couple, they would sell. ALso, it may be due to the price point. The one I saw was about 8" tall for $11.95.
                          First, I must state "I am NOT being a smart aleck"

If a simple cross is what you need, a pencil, straight edge, and paper are all you need to "design" your pattern.

Jon Zeig's book mentioned by woodbutcher is a GREAT one.

I get $12.50 for the one below, its about 6" tall and hangs on the wall (I stack 3 or 4 at a time). A base would take about 2 minutes to cut. A small hole drilled into the cross, a cut finishing nail, a small hole drilled into but not thru the base, a couple drops of CA glue and you are ready for finish.

DSCN0312 (317 x 575).jpg
                          Last edited by bearfretworks; 10-07-2006, 03:03 PM.
                          ‎"Orphans are easier to ignore before you know their names. They're easier to ignore before you see their faces. It's easier to pretend they're not real before you hold them in your arms. But once you do, everything changes."

D. Platt

Comment

Mike, check your PMs.

Pete

Comment

Mike
                              why not make up a few different kind of samples and show them to the owners at the store maybe they will change their minds when they see them.

Mike

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X