Best way to remove a deep splinter??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best way to remove a deep splinter??

Last Sunday I was working in the shop, looking for that perfect piece of wood. There it was underneath the lace wood. I should have known better and wore my gloves. The lace wood got me good! Got a pretty deep splinter at the base of my index finger. I had my husband try to dig it out as he loves to do this, but he couldn't get it. Will they eventually "work their way out" or should I have him try digging it again? What do you all do for deep splinters??
    Cathy in NE

"While we try to teach our children all about life, our children teach us what life is all about." - Anonymous

You must keep cleaning it. The best way is to dig it out and most eventually work their way out but not all. Keep cleaning it and look out for infection. If you can't remove it then go to the doctor or hospital and they can open it up.
    Diane
    Dragon
    Owner of a nice 21" Excalibur
    Owner of a Dewalt 788
    PuffityDragon on AFSP

Comment

Get yer butt to the doctors, splinters, especially deep ones can be very serious.
      Gloria ............... Two memorable things to say in life, "Hello" for the first time, and "Good-bye" for the last.

Comment

Agree with Wood Dog. Let a pro take care of it. Or even a doctor.
        Chuck D

When a work lifts your spirits and inspires bold and noble thoughts in you, do not look for any other standard to judge by: the work is good, the product of a master craftsman.
        Jean De La Bruyere...

l
        Hegner 18, Delta p-20, Griz 14 inch Band saw

Comment

If you are absolutely dead set on going to the Dr. Try wrapping it in bacon. This may help draw it out. Best advice is see a Dr.
          "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
          Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Cathy, I've had deep splinters work their way out, but they were small ones and didn't cause any trouble. Sounds like what you have should be removed by a doctor, even if it's not strictly necessary. Why risk an infection? After one bad experience where a trivial injury got infected, I'm a lot less casual than I used to be. And you never know what's on a piece of wood.

Also, is your tetanus booster up to date? I think the schedule is every 10 years, and well worth doing. Gotta keep you in shape to make some cupcakes!
            Carole

Follow me on my blog: www.scrollsawbowls.blogspot.com

Comment

My brother-in-law just got a deep splinter from the porch rail on his front porch. He tried digging it out to no avail. After a couple of days he got an infection in it. Went to the doctor's and ended up with a tetanus shot and antibiotics and an appointment to go to the hospital to have it surgically removed. Best to have it looked at right away if you can't get it out.
              Tammy

Pressure makes diamonds

Comment

Originally posted by wood-n-things View Post
                If you are absolutely dead set on going to the Dr. Try wrapping it in bacon. This may help draw it out. Best advice is see a Dr.
                The blasphemy of wasting bacon on a splinter!!!

All joking aside, an infection in the finger is nothing to chance. Circulation could be impaired easily, leading to a wheelbarrow load of troubles. Plus, some people have differing reactions to wood--especially when it is embedded.
                Jim
                When looking at the clock at work--the correct time is:
                Too early to leave, too late to call in.

Comment

Well I don't know if you can see it but here is my splinter:

0192.jpg

Here is a close up. No comments about how dry my skin is!!! It's terrible in winter!!

017.jpg

I think you can see it in there. I suppose I should have Kent try to dig it out again. If that doesn't work I may see if the doctor can get it. (grumble grumble) It is a little tender!!
                  Cathy in NE

"While we try to teach our children all about life, our children teach us what life is all about." - Anonymous

Comment

Cathy, Remember: To cut is to heal

Comment

From your picture, it looks like it is straight in your finger, and not at an angle. That would make it more difficult to get hold of it. SOOOO, I think you should see someone who knows what to do with it. " Emergency" Good Luck
                      PERK

Comment

The doctor can deaden the area before he starts the procedure you need a Dr to look at this. An infection can be very serious. A small splinter can be removed with the bacon trick if it is not too deep but this looks much more serious.
                        "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
                        Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

G'Day Cathy

I feel lacewood is the same as what we call silky oak this side of the pond, if it is our club no longer lets us work it there, as so many people have a severe allergy to it. Off to the quack's (sorry Dr) I think.

Cheers
                          Bernie

Comment

Well, I'm a nurse, and I've dug splinters out of myself and MINOR ones out of people but it was still sticking out and I could see it.

Yours looks like it has already worked its way down, so you might have to go get the doctor to dig it out. Is your finger already swollen? Might be the best to see the doctor in the morning...they could probably do it at the office, and save that ER bill.
                            And most definitely a Tetnaus if you haven't had one in 5-10 years. That's what I would do if it were me just by looking at yours.

Comment

I take a razor blade and do a little incision before digging out a splinter.
                              Tim

In God we trust, all others must pay cash!

I don't want no bargains, they always cost me more money.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X