ache ing to try this

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ache ing to try this

I saw this in the free downloads and its been calling me with everyone doing different art works I want to give it a try but there are no instructions just a color guide and I really have no idea where or how to start it, I know spirals are out cause its a segmentation so I am figuring 2/0R skip tooth?
    Last edited by Daryl185; 08-09-2008, 10:48 PM.
    Daryl S. Walters Psycotic scroller with a DeWalt 788

I'd probably ache if I tried something like that too. As far as the blade goes, you didn't specify what wood you are planning on using. I sure wouldn't use 2/0 on 1/2" hardwood.
    Mike

Making sawdust with a Dremel 1680.
    www.picturetrail.com/naturephotos

Comment

NEAL is the guy!

He can walk you through that, its not as hard as it looks. For me, the hardest part is keeping track of the tiny pieces. Dont be afraid, give it a try! dale (I would use a #1 FD-TC blade, on 5/8ths to 3/4th thick hardwood, preferably maple,but thats personal preferance) Dale

Also, you might find this book a must have! http://www.foxchapelpublishing.com/p...ls.cfm?PC=2017
      Last edited by lucky788scroller; 10-04-2006, 10:00 PM.
      Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

most likely it will be 3/4 poplar, I have used 2/0R skip tooths on it before I just have to keep my feeding slowed, I guess I can post pictures as I go like Bill did with his owl and Dale thanks for the tip on Neals book its on my must have list

Comment

There are two ways to tackle this project.
          One pick up the back issue.
          Two ask the author.
          Neal Moore is a great guy and he even pops his head in every now and again
          CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
          "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
          Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

I use #9 skip tooths on all my intarsia's, and the wood thicknesses are 3/4 to one inch. I also use some of the hardest woods available, and I cut the smallest pieces in the largest quantities than anyone that I'm aware of, with no problems. the small pieces can be challenging, just keep taping them together is my suggestion. I run a piece of 1/4 plywood over the table of my saw and clamp it on. This eliminates any space around the blade for the little pieces to fall through and get lost.
            Jeff Powell

Comment

Originally posted by workin for wood
              I use #9 skip tooths on all my intarsia's, .
              A #9 on intarsia would be fine, but I wouldn't use it for a segmentation project. You want the smallest kerf possible for segmentation - so I would go with a smaller size blade.

Give it a try Daryl - my suggestion would be to have an extra copy of the design to place the pieces on as you cut them!
              T
              Theresa

http://WoodNGoods.weebly.com

http://woodngoods.blogspot.com

Comment

Tiger

That particular tiger was cut from 1/2" poplar and #2 and #5 reverse skip tooth blades were used. There's more info about it in the fall 2005 issue of SSW magazine. It's really not as difficult to cut as it appears and I do hope you will try it!!!! My Email address is located at the bottom of my post so If you run into problems drop me a line. I'll be happy to help in any way I can.
                If it don't fit, don't force it....get a bigger hammer!!

Comment

man I give you folks an A #1 for incouragement, I love this place its got to have the most positive group of people I have had the pleasure of meeting, Neal thank you, I do intend on getting your book that Dale recommended and yes Forester I have several extra copies I have taken notice of Trouts and Working with Woods intarsia posts to notice the extra copy that they piece the wood back with

Comment

Daryl...Check your PM's
                    If it don't fit, don't force it....get a bigger hammer!!

Comment

Go get 'em bro
                      it's only one cut at a time
                      ...~Robert~
                      DW788 and Hawk 226

" Please let me grow to be the man my dog thinks I am "

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...