1 3/8' wood?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1 3/8' wood?

I'm starting a cup cake box and it requires a 1 3/8 inch thick wood and all I have is 3/4...
    I've started by gluing two pieces of 3/4 together ( I'm waiting for glue to dry) and then the plan is to cut it down to 1 3/8 with my band saw..
    I'm just thinking how the glue line and the miss matched wood grain is going to look like as a cup cake?

we shall see...

Trout
    Hawk G-4 Jetcraft
    Fish are food, not friends!

In the future may I suggest using two contrasting woods thereby adding to the overall look of the cupcake.
    "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
    Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

it's going to look just fine!
      this is my first time using forstner bits...they make a mess!

Trout
      Hawk G-4 Jetcraft

Comment

If you use contrasting woods, the thinner layer, after resawing, can become the icing on the cupcake. Your other choice, is to get a piece of 2" stock which is usually only 1 5/8" thick and sand it down to 1 3/8".

george
        A day without sawdust is a day without sunshine.
        George

delta 650, hawk G426

Comment

Is there a Woodcraft store or saw mill near you? Most people would be amazed how cheap a piece of 8/4 poplar, ash or similar lumber really is.
          Scott
          Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

Sorry about the thickness, Trout. I experimented with thinner wood, and the proportions just didn't work. The wood also needs to be thick enough so you can drill out the opening without drilling through the sides. Do you have a local lumberyard where you can get some cutoffs of 6/4 or 8/4 wood?

I know that cupcake liners often come in different designs and colors, including stripes. Maybe you could make the base look decorative with different strips of wood. I think that's worth a try, even if your glue-ups are OK. Then you'd have party cupcakes!

And Forstner bits make an awful mess, but they really do the job well. Don't forget to reduce the speed on your drill press!

No pictures yet?
            Carole

Follow me on my blog: www.scrollsawbowls.blogspot.com

Comment

I don't know why I was soo worried, the first base turned out great.
              you can hardly see the glue line and the grain matched up really good..
              I going to try a different way to glue up the next one and we'll see how that works out tonight...

I'm getting sick so I didn't spend a lot of time in the shop last night and I didn't know if I should post any WIP pictures???

Trout
              Hawk G-4 Jetcraft

Comment

Don't what to take over the thread but have a question. What is the meaning of 8/4 or 6/4 size? If I don't ask won't know lol.

Comment

Good question--glad you asked. Hardwoods, carried by lumberyards, are referred to in a completely different system, related to board feet and other mysterious terms. 4/4 refers to wood that starts of as 1" thick, but usually ends up as 13/16" after planing. 6/4 starts off as 1-1/2", and 8/4 as 2". It's just basic fractions. I have no idea of the origins of this, but that's all there is to it. So, I suspect that 1-3/8" is just wood that started off as 1-1/2" or 6/4, and was planed on both faces.

Hope this is clear enough.
                  Carole

Comment

Trout--feel better! We can wait for the pix.
                    Carole

Comment

Makes sence to me, thanks!

Comment

Trout feel free to post away, looking forward to those pics.
                        "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
                        Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Glue Line

As you'll notice the glue line is not visiable. This is a pine, walnut and bodark wood combination. Yellow(std) glue disappears well. I also use Weldbond Glue which dries clear. I usually use this to repair projects that got a darn. The piece with two strips hit the floor and broke off an antler, glue sanded and disappeared unless you know where to look.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• handibunny
                            Reply to EX dust collection holes screwed up a project.!
                            by handibunny
                            Rolf, smaller bowl-cutting angles, 30˚ or less, usually don't present a problem either with vibration or for cutting into the table. It's when you get into the 40˚ and 45˚ range that things get dicey for both. (The Seyco saw doesn't even cut bevels greater than 35˚ or so!) If you add even a slight...
                            Today, 09:21 AM
                          • Bill Wilson
                            by Bill Wilson
                            I've done some bevel cutting on my EX-21 as well and also have not experienced any added vibration, nor have I cut into the table. Perhaps I haven't cut at a steep enough angle, but the existing blade hole has been sufficient. I do despise the useless vacuum holes, but I've learned to live with them...
                            Today, 09:06 AM
                          • cwmagee
                            by cwmagee
                            Carole Your hole size was a concern when I purchased the Pegas Replacement Table for my EX21, because I had cut into the side of hole on the original table, The damage I did to the old table was due to the blade adjustments were not in the center of blade holders. So far that has not been an issue...
                            Today, 08:40 AM
                          • Rolf
                            by Rolf
                            That is an interesting point Carole. I have done some bevel cutting on the EX and can't say that I have experienced an increase in vibration or any problems with following the lines. I know when I cut one of your bowl designs on my Hawk I really had to concentrate on not pushing down hill....
                            Today, 07:28 AM
                          • handibunny
                            by handibunny
                            Just a word of caution about the size of the blade hole. When I used a DeWalt years ago in the infamous community woodshop, and also with my more recent experiences with the Jet, if you do much bevel cutting at a steep angle, you will cut into the table. That's why inserts have the slot that can be...
                            Today, 06:21 AM
                          Working...
                          X