1 3/8' wood?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1 3/8' wood?

I'm starting a cup cake box and it requires a 1 3/8 inch thick wood and all I have is 3/4...
    I've started by gluing two pieces of 3/4 together ( I'm waiting for glue to dry) and then the plan is to cut it down to 1 3/8 with my band saw..
    I'm just thinking how the glue line and the miss matched wood grain is going to look like as a cup cake?

we shall see...

Trout
    Hawk G-4 Jetcraft
    Fish are food, not friends!

In the future may I suggest using two contrasting woods thereby adding to the overall look of the cupcake.
    "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
    Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

it's going to look just fine!
      this is my first time using forstner bits...they make a mess!

Trout
      Hawk G-4 Jetcraft

Comment

If you use contrasting woods, the thinner layer, after resawing, can become the icing on the cupcake. Your other choice, is to get a piece of 2" stock which is usually only 1 5/8" thick and sand it down to 1 3/8".

george
        A day without sawdust is a day without sunshine.
        George

delta 650, hawk G426

Comment

Is there a Woodcraft store or saw mill near you? Most people would be amazed how cheap a piece of 8/4 poplar, ash or similar lumber really is.
          Scott
          Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

Sorry about the thickness, Trout. I experimented with thinner wood, and the proportions just didn't work. The wood also needs to be thick enough so you can drill out the opening without drilling through the sides. Do you have a local lumberyard where you can get some cutoffs of 6/4 or 8/4 wood?

I know that cupcake liners often come in different designs and colors, including stripes. Maybe you could make the base look decorative with different strips of wood. I think that's worth a try, even if your glue-ups are OK. Then you'd have party cupcakes!

And Forstner bits make an awful mess, but they really do the job well. Don't forget to reduce the speed on your drill press!

No pictures yet?
            Carole

Follow me on my blog: www.scrollsawbowls.blogspot.com

Comment

I don't know why I was soo worried, the first base turned out great.
              you can hardly see the glue line and the grain matched up really good..
              I going to try a different way to glue up the next one and we'll see how that works out tonight...

I'm getting sick so I didn't spend a lot of time in the shop last night and I didn't know if I should post any WIP pictures???

Trout
              Hawk G-4 Jetcraft

Comment

Don't what to take over the thread but have a question. What is the meaning of 8/4 or 6/4 size? If I don't ask won't know lol.

Comment

Good question--glad you asked. Hardwoods, carried by lumberyards, are referred to in a completely different system, related to board feet and other mysterious terms. 4/4 refers to wood that starts of as 1" thick, but usually ends up as 13/16" after planing. 6/4 starts off as 1-1/2", and 8/4 as 2". It's just basic fractions. I have no idea of the origins of this, but that's all there is to it. So, I suspect that 1-3/8" is just wood that started off as 1-1/2" or 6/4, and was planed on both faces.

Hope this is clear enough.
                  Carole

Comment

Trout--feel better! We can wait for the pix.
                    Carole

Comment

Makes sence to me, thanks!

Comment

Trout feel free to post away, looking forward to those pics.
                        "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
                        Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Glue Line

As you'll notice the glue line is not visiable. This is a pine, walnut and bodark wood combination. Yellow(std) glue disappears well. I also use Weldbond Glue which dries clear. I usually use this to repair projects that got a darn. The piece with two strips hit the floor and broke off an antler, glue sanded and disappeared unless you know where to look.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• will8989
                            Reply to Farmers market "survey"
                            by will8989
                            The one I do is under a pavilion on County Property, about 60 spaces. They run 4 “seasons”, spring 6 weeks, summer May - mid September, fall sept to Mid November, and holiday fare Mid November until end of year. Cost is $75 per season, per day as they are open Saturday and Sunday. If you are called...
                            Yesterday, 11:10 PM
                          • will8989
                            Reply to Farmers market
                            by will8989
                            Ours are run by the state Ag Dept. They have very strict rules as to masks and distancing. The Ag Dept does come and visit to make sure rules are being followed. We stand behind the table and use the tailgate for packaging. I have people place their credit card in the reader on my phone and remove...
                            Yesterday, 10:31 PM
                          • tgiro01
                            Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                            by tgiro01
                            Linda - Here is my gimmick for the Incra 1000SE on my SS CNS. I scratched a line 3/4-inch in from the blade end of the fence. I then use a ruler to set that line 1-inch from the side of a carbide tooth on the blade. Then I line the 1-inch mark on the fence ruler to the scratch line.

Now,...
                            Yesterday, 09:38 PM
                          • Linda In Phoenix
                            Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                            by Linda In Phoenix
                            It was a tough choice on the miter gauges---based on recommendations here. I researched the Kreg and the Incra. They were pretty much tied. I let fate decide it. Went into my nearest 2 hardwood stores. #1 sold Kreg, but they were out of stock and didn't know when an order would come in that...
                            Yesterday, 06:47 PM
                          • Linda In Phoenix
                            Reply to Plastic puzzle
                            by Linda In Phoenix
                            Nice puzzle. Go for the gusto---scroll it next time!! Several of the quality brands of blades make blades just for acrylics. With a sharp blade and the right speed it's all good.
                            Yesterday, 06:38 PM
                          Working...
                          X