Strange Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange Problem

I have no idea which forum to put this into, this one seemed like it would work so, here goes:

I went to one of the local office supply stores today (national chain) and asked for copies of a couple of large patterns that I can't copy with my scanner/printer. Because of the wording used for the release statement, they refused to copy the patterns. The wording is: YOU have permission to copy the patterns for your own use, etc. The management at the store interpreted that to mean that I, personally, was permitted to make the copies and they were not. After a less than ladylike fit, I went to another of the chains and got the copies made, but at almost twice the cost. I came home and fired off an e-mail requesting that the wording in the release be changed to a statement directed at the professional copiers so that this wouldn't happen again.

Am I the only one who has had this problem?

Jan

Jan. I would sent an e-mail to the corporate office of the office supply you went to to let them know how up set you are about the a manager not knowing what the wording on the plans ment and that it cost you more, you might also say that if your going to have these kind of problems when you want copys made it might be best to take all your businness else were.
    sigpic: Dan US Navy PR1 (Ret)
    To all who serve or have served, Thank you
    Well I am the worlds greatest scroller at my house.

Comment

I have never heard of such a thing.
      Next time cut those words off so they aren't there. Can you do that?
      Sounds like a idiot to me trying to make himself out to be some kind of big shot to decide what people can copy.
      I go to the UPS store in my town and have never had any problem.

Comment

Maybe you should have just asked them to show you how to use their machine.

Glad you got it done, but sorry for the grief. I don't think I would have been too ladylike myself, in that situation.
        Carole

Follow me on my blog: www.scrollsawbowls.blogspot.com

Comment

I had that happen to me once at Staples. I go there all the time with no problems. Then one day I get this jerky lady who can't comprehend the fact that yes its copyrighted, but I was allowed to have up to 5 copies made for my personal use as stated on the pattern. Luckily I asked for the manager who came over and had half a brain to understand that it was ok. Some people just act like robots and don't use their heads.

Jan, you should of said OK and walked around the counter and make the copies yourself! lol.

Comment

I wish the manager was not the one telling me that I was wrong, she was right and her employees would NEVER make copies from anything with that wording on the copyright release. Go figure. It happened once before when I wanted to copy a JGR design with the same wording on the release. I called the studio, told MaryAnn what was going on. She said "Good Grief" and told the idiot to make the copy. Didn't seem to make any difference now.

Jan

Comment

Hi Jan,
              I'm sorry you had such a problem... When we came up with that wording (with help from our copyright lawyer), we also checked in with the big chains, and they helped us come up with that wording. My statement to the manager would be that in the court of law, you refers to the purchaser of the pattern/magazine, and that they, the copying service, are providing a service to you.

Best Regards,
              Bob Duncan
              Technical Editor
              www.GrobetUSA.com

Comment

Thanks, Bob. I've made a copy of your note that I shall put in with any pattern I want copied. We shall see if this makes any difference.

Jan

Comment

If you make a lot of copies, it might be best to get a copier. I got a Brother MFC-d6910 multi-purpose printer that makes 11X17 copies or printouts. They run about $350 at Staples & less from some web sites.

Granted, for the hobbyist that may be high for the purpose but I have 18 patterns lined up for work. Cheapest stores around here run 50-cents per copy. I usually make 6 copies of an intarsia pattern (five for cutting & one for building). 18 X 6 X .50 = $54. Plus I use the printer for my computers and other things.
                  The good woodworker does not craft the wood for honor. He uses his craft to honor the wood.

Comment

Thanks for the input. I can do 11 X 17 copies with the copier I have. Unfortunately, many of the intarsia patterns I want to copy are much larger, some as big as 22 X 30 inches. I used to be spoiled because I had access to very large, professional copiers. The photographer who let me use those machines has since gone out of business in the area and moved back to the west coast. Now I'm stuck with the copy services locally.

Jan

Comment

Whenever I need larger copies I use Rapid Resizer. This will resize to any size you want and then print on multiple papers and then I tape them together. Yes it costs $59 but that is much cheaper than a new printer and with just a few copies, better than copier stores.
                      Bill

Comment

I have Rapid Resizer and use it when I'm enlarging patterns from standard page sizes even though it's quite a hassle. I have a Mac, and though I run both the Mac OS and Windows XP on it, the process is complicated. My problem comes from copying larger patterns that don't need resizing.

Thanks for the input

Jan

Comment

Well, I think it's pretty inconsiderate for your photographer friend to have moved away!
                          Carole

Follow me on my blog: www.scrollsawbowls.blogspot.com

Comment

If you can get the pattern into your computer you can use "pposter razor" it is free and it like rapid resizer will make it any size you need. You just have to tape the pieces together......

just a thought.....may patterns come on cd as well as in print.

Comment

If I can get the pattern into the computer, then it can be sized and tile printed with RapidResizer. I'm hunting for a program that will tile print like RapidResizer does and is Mac compatible. I know they're out there. Just haven't found one yet.

Jan

PS: Just looked at PosteRazor. It is compatible with Macs........if you haven't upgraded your operating system since 2008. The last OS it's compatible with is Tiger 10.4. The latest Mac OS upgrades have rendered it unusable. Dang! It looks like a very good program.
                              Last edited by Jan; 01-24-2012, 12:50 PM.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• will8989
                                Reply to Farmers market "survey"
                                by will8989
                                The one I do is under a pavilion on County Property, about 60 spaces. They run 4 “seasons”, spring 6 weeks, summer May - mid September, fall sept to Mid November, and holiday fare Mid November until end of year. Cost is $75 per season, per day as they are open Saturday and Sunday. If you are called...
                                Today, 11:10 PM
                              • will8989
                                Reply to Farmers market
                                by will8989
                                Ours are run by the state Ag Dept. They have very strict rules as to masks and distancing. The Ag Dept does come and visit to make sure rules are being followed. We stand behind the table and use the tailgate for packaging. I have people place their credit card in the reader on my phone and remove...
                                Today, 10:31 PM
                              • tgiro01
                                Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                                by tgiro01
                                Linda - Here is my gimmick for the Incra 1000SE on my SS CNS. I scratched a line 3/4-inch in from the blade end of the fence. I then use a ruler to set that line 1-inch from the side of a carbide tooth on the blade. Then I line the 1-inch mark on the fence ruler to the scratch line.

Now,...
                                Today, 09:38 PM
                              • Linda In Phoenix
                                Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                                by Linda In Phoenix
                                It was a tough choice on the miter gauges---based on recommendations here. I researched the Kreg and the Incra. They were pretty much tied. I let fate decide it. Went into my nearest 2 hardwood stores. #1 sold Kreg, but they were out of stock and didn't know when an order would come in that...
                                Today, 06:47 PM
                              • Linda In Phoenix
                                Reply to Plastic puzzle
                                by Linda In Phoenix
                                Nice puzzle. Go for the gusto---scroll it next time!! Several of the quality brands of blades make blades just for acrylics. With a sharp blade and the right speed it's all good.
                                Today, 06:38 PM
                              Working...
                              X