• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'fire extingisher'

any recommendations on which type and where to buy? TY
    Yea I walked through The Valley of Death and I kicked it's ***
    Semper Fi

As an old firefighter, I can tell you you need a tri-class or ABC class extinguisher. Depending on the amount of flammable liquids (varnishes, etc) you keep around a 5 lb or 10 lb is sufficient.
    "A" is common combustibles (paper, wood)
    "B" is flammable liquids
    "C" is energized electrical equipment

Mount it in an handy spot--away from the area where you store the flammable stuff. No use if you have to reach through the flames to grab it!

And remember PASS
    Pull the pin
    Aim the nozzle
    Sweep side to side at the base of the flames

And call 911. Firemen would much rather show up where the flames WERE as opposed to where the flames ARE.
    Jim
    When looking at the clock at work--the correct time is:
    Too early to leave, too late to call in.

Comment

Any of the big box stores carry them
      Rolf
      RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
      Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
      Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
      And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

All of the big box stores carry them even smaller hardware stores carry abc extinguishers.. I keep 2 in my shop, one by each door on opposite sides of my shop so i can always access at least one of them. I also have a fully stocked first aid kit in my shop.
        "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
        Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

One thing I was always told by the pros was that I should turn the extinguisher over and shake it every month or two. Seems some of the chemicals settle and that makes it less effective when you use it.

Jim, feel free to correct me if you don't agree with this.

John
          John

Excalibur EX21
          RBI Hawk G4

Comment

Originally posted by Crabbyboater View Post
            One thing I was always told by the pros was that I should turn the extinguisher over and shake it every month or two. Seems some of the chemicals settle and that makes it less effective when you use it.

Jim, feel free to correct me if you don't agree with this.

John
            Every month or two may be a wee bit of overkill, but the MAP (monammonium phosphate) in modern fire extinguishers is finer than talcum power and will eventually begin to clump if left in the same position.

If you are in a very quiet place, you can put the bottle up to your ear as you invert it and hear the powder sliding down. It's the best way externally to tell if the powder is moving. On a small extinguisher, you may not feel the mass shift--unless it was really packed tight.

Just hold on tight. You don't want to drop one and snap the neck. Most are around 150psi and that 1/2 inch neck makes for a pretty fast jet. (Really messy too when that powder goes everywhere!)
            Jim
            When looking at the clock at work--the correct time is:
            Too early to leave, too late to call in.

Comment

I have three in my shop and they are all foam. Maybe cost a little more but when the fire is out it is out, sometime with the chemical they can restart from the fumes. And the foam will protect me is I have to go through the flames.
              Chuck D

When a work lifts your spirits and inspires bold and noble thoughts in you, do not look for any other standard to judge by: the work is good, the product of a master craftsman.
              Jean De La Bruyere...

l
              Hegner 18, Delta p-20, Griz 14 inch Band saw

Comment

I want to add, once bought don't just ignore it. Every so often, emphasis on OFTEN check if the needle on the gauge is in the green full mark.
                I had a disposable one go empty on me without use, and on my refillable one, it was getting almost to the red zone (empty) without use, I had it professionally refilled, about a month later, the needle was headed to the red zone again, without use. I brought it back to the refill place and they repaired, and refilled it. Looks fine now after a year, but I often check that needle on all my extinguishers.
                Last edited by Wood Dog; 01-09-2012, 09:33 AM.
                Gloria ............... Two memorable things to say in life, "Hello" for the first time, and "Good-bye" for the last.

Comment

Last edited by KJS; 01-14-2012, 03:20 PM.

Comment

i have several kiddie extinguishers around my house but i need to have them serviced as the needles are going down for whatever reason since they were never used? WD, what place did you take yours to have them serviced?

i have one of the large 4 gallon refillable water extinguishers, i fill it 2/3 full of water and then fill the rest with air. works good for wood and paper fires, and as a monster squirt gun!
                    Last edited by Northerner; 01-27-2012, 06:26 PM.

+ + I Love The Smell Of Sawdust In The Morning + +

Comment

Northener I went to a fire and safety company in the area. Google one where you live, or call the fire department and they should be able to tell you where you can get yours refilled. It cost me $20 bucks, well worth it. Don't wait.......get it done.
                      Some fire extinguishers are disposable and not able to be refilled, and will have to be replaced.
                      Gloria ............... Two memorable things to say in life, "Hello" for the first time, and "Good-bye" for the last.

Comment

Originally posted by Northerner View Post
                        and as a monster squirt gun!

Comment

my parents had one in our family body shop and one night a friend and i were cruising around and were taking a pass through downtown and my friend started getting wet and we looked up and from a second story apartment some college kids were out with a squirt gun spraying people as we drove by so we headed to the shop grabbed our 'squirt gun' and went back downtown and they were still hanging out there window when my friend opened up on them!
                          it was comical, they were all soaked in a matter of seconds and everyone was laughing... good times.

+ + I Love The Smell Of Sawdust In The Morning + +

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• wjbclocks1
                            Reply to Big week here
                            by wjbclocks1
                            Enjoy life, Congrat....
                            Today, 01:30 PM
                          • Jim McDonald
                            Reply to New tools
                            by Jim McDonald
                            Good luck getting ANY of that garden space!
                            Today, 01:24 PM
                          • Jim McDonald
                            Big week here
                            by Jim McDonald
                            Well friends quite a week here on the prairie.
                            Long back story, but our son was adamant we get a fast response COVID test last Saturday, so we could attend an outdoor gathering of his girlfrigirlfriend's family. About an hour into the ATV and dirt bike riding, he got off the 4-wheeler and dropped...
                            Today, 01:20 PM
                          • Quartz43
                            Reply to Carved Fretwork Pumpkin
                            by Quartz43
                            Earlier, I posted a question on where to get them. Someone suggested Amazon and that is where I got them.
                            Today, 01:08 PM
                          • jim_mex
                            New tools
                            by jim_mex
                            Hi all - our recent home remodeling project has involved me getting back into my workshed after a lengthy absence to do some work to 'assist' the workmen on the job plus I now have a string of home furniture projects to look at undertaking now we have moved back into our home.

I decided...
                            Today, 01:07 PM
                          Working...
                          X