burn the fuzzies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• burn the fuzzies

hi dee guys......this may be old news tosome of you but I thought id pass it along
    anyway.....after cutting frets on various kinds of woods there are lots of fuzzies on the back side....awful hard and time consuming to sand off......unless .....you get out your trusty butane pencil torch and burn them off.....its like magic...they just disapear....you can be careful not to scorch the wood if its gonna show by keeping the torch moving fast...just my lil t c w....try it....you'll like it

Originally posted by jreece View Post
    hi dee guys......this may be old news tosome of you but I thought id pass it along
    anyway.....after cutting frets on various kinds of woods there are lots of fuzzies on the back side....awful hard and time consuming to sand off......unless .....you get out your trusty butane pencil torch and burn them off.....its like magic...they just disapear....you can be careful not to scorch the wood if its gonna show by keeping the torch moving fast...just my lil t c w....try it....you'll like it
    Make sure your work piece is on a flat surface so the heat doesn't get to the front side. I also use that method to help darken the inside of cuts if the piece isn't to be stained.
    May the wind at you back .....
    Not be from Lunch.

Don't take life too seriously; No one gets out alive.

Beauty is in the eye of the BEERHOLDER

Visit My Gallery

Oily's Gallery

http://www.picturetrail.com/oily11

Comment

Originally posted by oily View Post
      I also use that method to help darken the inside of cuts if the piece isn't to be stained.
      But then someone might mistake it for being laser cut.

Homer : "Oh, and how is education supposed to make me feel smarter. Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain."

Comment

good tip, i will have to try it out! thanks

+ + I Love The Smell Of Sawdust In The Morning + +

Comment

Been there, done that and scorched my workbench...but a good technique especially for very delicate fretwork. I now prefer to use a RT blade for very delicate cuttings or to stack cut with a sacrificial 1/16" bottom layer.

george
          A day without sawdust is a day without sunshine.
          George

delta 650, hawk G426

Comment

Hey Guys n Gals.... Long ago when I began....3 years ago.... I DID experiment with using a torch to get rid of the lil fuzzies. THEN....it worked good....BUT....Hey I was introduced to FLYING DUTCHMAN blades.... Been using them for most of last year till now and cut different types of woods and using the FD-UR #3-#5-#7 there is just VERY, VERY Little use for using the Butane torch. Mine is collecting cob webs. LOL Anyway....Danny :+}

Comment

When YOU RIGHT YOU RIGHT!Cobwebs can be cured ,put it in a bag!
              Carl
              "Home Of The Dust Free Scroll Saw"
              Remember (IT is WHAT it IS)( Unless YOU change IT!)

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Linda In Phoenix
                Reply to Shrink wrap systems
                by Linda In Phoenix
                I checked out www.ULine.com We used them years ago at the company I used to work at, and they were really reputable to work with. They have machines, guns, bags, and film. I just don't really know what works best, as well as if there is a really great priced to buy from. To date I've been a frugal...
                Yesterday, 10:01 PM
              • will8989
                Reply to Dog Puzzle - Aussie
                by will8989
                Will check out amazon tomorrow. Thanks.
                Yesterday, 09:53 PM
              • will8989
                Reply to Shrink wrap systems
                by will8989
                Well, I used to get my shrink wrap rolls from AC Moore, and just used the last roll😟. I use a heat gun but lately and only shrink the Sealife puzzles to keep the pieces in place. I only use it on puzzles because of my display board otherwise I would have broken pieces all over the place. Also easier...
                Yesterday, 09:49 PM
              • will8989
                Reply to Bruce, the one on probation
                by will8989
                He’s gotten me through some pretty tough times and always has my back so It’s the least I can do. Good thing I had the freezer stocked! That has been a time saver. I made a pot of chili on Sunday and got 6 meals out of it! As for payback, I’m getting a new shed in the spring! I had to do my flap...
                Yesterday, 09:32 PM
              • will8989
                Reply to Sundays market
                by will8989
                We did. I only went $40 over budget. I got a 73” x 12” x 3/4” curly cherry for $55. Just needs to be run through the sander and cut to size. It’s a pinkish cherry and is so pretty. A piece of deep red redwood, 2 pieces of walnut each about 12” wide. Good haul.
                Yesterday, 08:56 PM
              Working...
              X