The Experiments Continue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Experiments Continue

My latest stab at an easy pattern. Wanted to try something a little different with this one. I used scrapbooking paper as a background. I was pleasantly surprised at the outcome (darn spelling error).
    Oh, for those keeping count, it contained a whopping 17 cuts, hehehehe.

It's entitled Lonesome Cowboy.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Jediscroller; 10-01-2006, 09:11 PM.
    Kevin
    Scrollsaw Patterns Online
    Making holes in wood with an EX-30, Craftsman 16" VS, Dremel 1680 and 1671

Having seen that picture, Kevin, I can't get the ELO tune Wild West Hero out of my head .

It's a very powerful image and yet another project of yours that I like.

Gill
    There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.
    (Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Comment

Nice and simple, but I like it. It must have taken you a whole 15 minutes. FYI, I've always used paper as a backer, sandwiched between the plywood. I haven't had any complaints yet. I'm going to use black plexiglass for a backer on one tomorrow. I think that will look alright. It looked good on my doggie tombstone that I did a few weeks ago.
      Mike

Making sawdust with a Dremel 1680.
      www.picturetrail.com/naturephotos

Comment

very nice Kevin, I love the use of the scrap paper background it really sets the silhouette off
        Daryl S. Walters Psycotic scroller with a DeWalt 788

Comment

EXCELLANT!! Another masterpiece
          Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
            "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
            Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

I love it Kevin!! I'd like to see more of this type.........
              Bill

DeWalt 788

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

God gives us only what we can handle.. Apparently God thinks I am one tough cookie.....

Comment

Awesome work Kevin love the way that background makes it stand out
                Charlie
                "Everything Happens for a Reason"
                Craftsman 18in. 21609

http://wolfmooncreations.weebly.com

Comment

That's pretty good, especially if your selling your work. People do like simple, and simple is quick and easy, so you can turn that into a few dollars pretty fast I bet.
                  Jeff Powell

Comment

Thanks all for the kind words.
                    I must admit, from a cutting standpoint, this was quite easy, from a designing standpoint these are anything but. Trying to design a pattern that both easy AND appealing is far more difficult (at least for me) than designing a very intricate pattern. I think I spent more "pencil and paper" time on this one than even those of my patterns with 1000 or more cuts in them.
                    Kevin

Comment

I really, really like it Kevin!!! The background you chose absolutely could not be any better. Real nice work on the cutting also!!! Very nice piece of artwork!!!
                      If it don't fit, don't force it....get a bigger hammer!!

Comment

How'd I miss this one.......

NICE! I really like that background as well, a perfect compliment.

A couple questions if you don't mind - How did you get the light line around the cut outs? Did you paint the wood before cutting and the light outlines ar the internal frets?????

Are you feeling well???? I mean 17 cuts is nothing for you.......

Thanks.
                        ‎"Orphans are easier to ignore before you know their names. They're easier to ignore before you see their faces. It's easier to pretend they're not real before you hold them in your arms. But once you do, everything changes."

D. Platt

Comment

One of those occasions where less is definitely more, a beautiful piece.

The wood looks really great, too, like a sunset. Did you stain it?

Pete

Comment

Originally posted by bearfretworks
                            How'd I miss this one.......

NICE! I really like that background as well, a perfect compliment.

A couple questions if you don't mind - How did you get the light line around the cut outs? Did you paint the wood before cutting and the light outlines ar the internal frets?????

Are you feeling well???? I mean 17 cuts is nothing for you.......

Thanks.
                            I feel fine smart-$$$, LOL! I think I got the light line by using the flash, hehehe. I just cut as I would anything then spraypainted it black and finished it up with semi-gloss laquer.
                            Pete, it's scrap-booking paper behind the cutting. I bought about 30 different kinds of sheets of this stuff, it gave me some really neat ideas for ways to dress up these types of cuttings.
                            Thanks guys for the kind words (even you Barry, )
                            Kevin

Comment

Kevin,
                              I've said it to you before but it bears repeating for this one
                              ....few can breathe life into a piece of wood like you can
                              Fantastic
                              ...~Robert~
                              DW788 and Hawk 226

" Please let me grow to be the man my dog thinks I am "

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Linda In Phoenix
                                Reply to Shrink wrap systems
                                by Linda In Phoenix
                                I checked out www.ULine.com We used them years ago at the company I used to work at, and they were really reputable to work with. They have machines, guns, bags, and film. I just don't really know what works best, as well as if there is a really great priced to buy from. To date I've been a frugal...
                                Today, 10:01 PM
                              • will8989
                                Reply to Dog Puzzle - Aussie
                                by will8989
                                Will check out amazon tomorrow. Thanks.
                                Today, 09:53 PM
                              • will8989
                                Reply to Shrink wrap systems
                                by will8989
                                Well, I used to get my shrink wrap rolls from AC Moore, and just used the last roll😟. I use a heat gun but lately and only shrink the Sealife puzzles to keep the pieces in place. I only use it on puzzles because of my display board otherwise I would have broken pieces all over the place. Also easier...
                                Today, 09:49 PM
                              • will8989
                                Reply to Bruce, the one on probation
                                by will8989
                                He’s gotten me through some pretty tough times and always has my back so It’s the least I can do. Good thing I had the freezer stocked! That has been a time saver. I made a pot of chili on Sunday and got 6 meals out of it! As for payback, I’m getting a new shed in the spring! I had to do my flap...
                                Today, 09:32 PM
                              • will8989
                                Reply to Sundays market
                                by will8989
                                We did. I only went $40 over budget. I got a 73” x 12” x 3/4” curly cherry for $55. Just needs to be run through the sander and cut to size. It’s a pinkish cherry and is so pretty. A piece of deep red redwood, 2 pieces of walnut each about 12” wide. Good haul.
                                Today, 08:56 PM
                              Working...
                              X