Torch Your Work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Torch Your Work

I normally use a small pencil torch to burn off 'fuzzies' from the back of cuttings.
    Then just have to slightly wipe with a 150 grit sandpaper to get all off.

I have noticed that, by doing that burning, I can get some interesting highlighting for the cutting. So I have been torching the front of some cuttings and am pleased with the added art.

Here are some Eagles that I have added the torching process to.

HINT: When torching be sure to keep the torch moving and always have an extinguisher and/or bucket of water nearby if you have to DUNK a flaming piece.

John

Old Dust
    Attached Files

Well I have torched a few projects also, but mine end up in the burn tote and eventually to the burn pile
    Yea I walked through The Valley of Death and I kicked it's ***
    Semper Fi

Comment

Touching pine I do not have to stain it

Comment

Great effects. It adds a nice touch to your projects. I really like the large eagle. The torching blends well with the background.
        Lois

Comment

You do nice work. I love that large eagle....the eagle within the eagle. That is gorgeous.

Comment

Two items hubby says I shouldn't use - chainsaw and torch. After my past year, need I say more? But I do love the effect of the torch on the front of the eagle. Maybe I can sneek it in while he is at work. Second thought, would hate for him to get the phone call "House burned while torching woodworking."
            Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

Looks great. I do some wood burning on my pieces, but, with my woodburning tool. My brother used to replace wood trim in the kitchen of his house & torch it. It really looked rustic. That's what they were looking for ! He even made patio furniture & torched it. It really looked neat. I'll show you a rocking chair & table that he made. Take a look.
              Attached Files
              PERK

Comment

i do a lot of potrait pieces,thus a lot of interior cuts,leaving fuzzies.i too use a torch,too burn them away,you need too move the torch around or else the wood will warp,
                yes doing this you can get some rather pleasing highlights,
                just be carful with the torch....happy new year
                not doing much
                and busy doing it

having fun making sawdust.

http://www.customcutz4you.webs.com/

Comment

Just my 2Cents.... When I started scrolling portraits I really got discouraged with all the lil fuzzies on the backs and also used my torch to burn them away. Sometimes YES didn't keep the torch moving fast enough and burnt some important parts. Anyway then last year I came across the Flying Dutchman brand blades and since then with using mainly the FD-UR blades there is very, very little amount of fuzzies and the ones there sand off with very little effort. Fuzzies are HISTORY to me now. Yea! Danny :+}

Comment

Torching projects HAS its place,Works well on Many items ,and varied results,mainly caused by wood 's sap content,practice on scrap,it in itself is art
                    so practice,if it were real easy and simple you would not have to practice,you want the results,not a fire,as oily says lay flat on a fire proof object ,bricks or c.block so heat only gets to surface you want it to.SO JUST USE YOUR HEAD and THIMK!! THIMK !!or don't attempt it ! Just the grandfather 13
                    Grand children speaking.
                    My very best intentions!
                    Carl
                    "Home Of The Dust Free Scroll Saw"
                    Remember (IT is WHAT it IS)( Unless YOU change IT!)

Comment

I've never used this way of torching my projects but I may give it a try. I do have to say I have torched a fair number of my WIP projects it really nice on those cool evenings sitting on our patio.
                      sigpic: Dan US Navy PR1 (Ret)
                      To all who serve or have served, Thank you
                      Well I am the worlds greatest scroller at my house.

Comment

Torch used here

Yellow pine... colored using a torch.
                        Attached Files
                        Hegner Polymax- 3,Hegner Multimax-3,
                        "No PHD, just a DD 214"

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Jim McDonald
                          Reply to Interesting pallet
                          by Jim McDonald
                          I have harvested some very interesting specimens in the last 10 years. Bookmatched ash that was absolutely beautiful; red oak, maple, some spalted "something" and more.
                          But since most of the cross boards on pallets are 3 to 4 nches wide and 3/8" to 5/8", I have few uses for...
                          Today, 08:17 PM
                        • Quartz43
                          Reply to New tools
                          by Quartz43
                          I have an implanted spinal cord stimulator to help with back pain. They also have warnings about welding. I could not get one when I was working in an electric furnace steelmaking shop as the electrodes were over 1000 amps and volts. I have also decided to stay away from welding as I just do not...
                          Today, 03:40 PM
                        • hotshot
                          Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                          by hotshot
                          You did a great job on that video. You speak and explain well!...
                          Today, 02:27 PM
                        • RJweb
                          Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                          by RJweb
                          I am glad it is all working out for you, RJ...
                          Today, 01:31 PM
                        • Linda In Phoenix
                          Shrink wrap systems
                          by Linda In Phoenix
                          What do you use to shrink wrap, and what do you use it on? Lately in the puzzles section I've seen a couple of you mention shrink wrapping. I've considered such a leap. Even though the basics are all similar from manufacturer to manufacturer, it's still leaves some questions. Maybe others have...
                          Today, 11:51 AM
                        Working...
                        X