Dremel Scroll Saw Upgrade ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dremel Scroll Saw Upgrade ??

I inherited my dad's dremel scroll saw and am using it. It vibrates a lot--I think--I don't have much experience to compare it to. I have arthritis in my hands and find it pretty tough to work this way. I have about $200 I can spend if I want to upgrade a little bit. I am wondering if anyone knows if I can improve on it for that price. I looked at a product comparison guide I found someplace in the forum here... it mentioned several brands but did not have Dremel in the mix at all. I don't want to spend the $ and find I haven't gotten a better saw. If you have some idea, please let me know. thanks!
    Ready, Fire, ... Aim!

My blog: Pokeberry Patch

Dremel no longer makes scroll saws that is why they were not in the reviews.
    Tim

In God we trust, all others must pay cash!

I don't want no bargains, they always cost me more money.

Comment

Well.. that answers one question--I know why they aren't talked about. My main question though--is would $200 get me something better? Anyone know?
      Ready, Fire, ... Aim!

Comment

Dan

My Gallery

Comment

Another option is to check out your local pawn shops, consignment stores. If no luck, just keep saving your $.
          In the mean time try clamping down your saw somehow. Good luck. Come by often, new members are great assets to this forum.........and we certainly do love to see project photos. Not mandatory to post them, but sure appreciated.
          Gloria ............... Two memorable things to say in life, "Hello" for the first time, and "Good-bye" for the last.

Comment

I made the leap a couple months ago from dremel to Ex 16. I was really affraid of spending that much and not seeing much difference. Saved and procrastinated for a good while and am thrilled with the upgrade. I agree, keep saving and keep eye on Craigs list paw shops, etc in your area. If you do buy used, take a blade and some wood with you.

Regis
            An old beginner leaping in.

Pleased with my new EX-16.

Comment

I used to use a Dremel saw for several years. It was a great started saw and I learned a lot cutting on it. However the best thing I did was save up money for a Dewalt saw. I would agree to save up more money and/or find a deal somewhere on a Dewalt.

Comment

thank you all. Hubby bolted it down for me, its a little better. Now I can free up a wee bit of cash to address another issue. I will certainly post some pix in future and come back. I sell my wood pieces already and its funny cuz--as for wood working--I am super novice-y. But I use it as a 'base' really for my art. I make toys & cake toppers, keepsakes so far.. will do more in future: There's links on my blog to my etsy shops... blog is: pokeberrypatch.blogspot.com
                Ready, Fire, ... Aim!

Comment

I have and am still using my Dremel scroll saw. the only problem I have had and it makes the saw vibrate is that the two pins on the bar at the rear arm wear out. This causes a loose fit and will eventually break. The parts are all internal and can be services if you want.

The first sign of this (aside from a slight vibration that will get worse as the parts wear out) is that the blades will become to long for the clamps and you will have to cut them shorter.

The parts are still sold by Dremel and cost about $4 the shipping cost like $6 so I bought two sets. Two small pins and a flat bar (approx. $4 for all three parts). With a screw driver and a bench vise I replaced them myself. They lasted me about two years and I have done it twice.....

If you call them the folks know about the problem and are willing to discuss symptoms with you if it might be somthing else.... $4 or $500....

Just my thoughts on the saw..

Happy scrolling

Comment

very good to know.. thank you!

I will watch out for that.
                    Ready, Fire, ... Aim!

Comment

Like the other's have mentioned.

Look on Craigs List.. search through the different area's that your willing to travel to.

I picked up a Dewalt for $150.00 In brand new condition.

their out there, you just need to look for them.

http://www.scrollsawer.com/forum/beg...-saw/42113.htm
                      Good Luck.
                      Last edited by TH'er; 12-31-2011, 11:28 AM.

Comment

One thing you might consider before you buy a new saw. The one you have has a feature that no other saw I have seen has is the ability to take the top and bottm blade holders and take them out with an allen wrench and turned them 90 degrees to the saw. This changes the 18" throat depth to infinity as it takes the back of the saw and puts it on the side.

Just take out the set screw out pull out the holder (its one piece) and turn it and put it back in then tighten the screw. Do the same with the other bottom one and insert the blade. You will have to turn yourself 90 degrees to the saw and feed your work into the blade side ways but you dont have to worry about hitting the back of the saw.

I like the saw, Yes I have had to make a repair two times in about 7 years but it only cost about 20 $ and about 3 hours total for both fixes.

Hint: Check the reviews on the saws posted in this forum before you buy.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Linda In Phoenix
                          Reply to Shrink wrap systems
                          by Linda In Phoenix
                          I checked out www.ULine.com We used them years ago at the company I used to work at, and they were really reputable to work with. They have machines, guns, bags, and film. I just don't really know what works best, as well as if there is a really great priced to buy from. To date I've been a frugal...
                          Yesterday, 10:01 PM
                        • will8989
                          Reply to Dog Puzzle - Aussie
                          by will8989
                          Will check out amazon tomorrow. Thanks.
                          Yesterday, 09:53 PM
                        • will8989
                          Reply to Shrink wrap systems
                          by will8989
                          Well, I used to get my shrink wrap rolls from AC Moore, and just used the last roll😟. I use a heat gun but lately and only shrink the Sealife puzzles to keep the pieces in place. I only use it on puzzles because of my display board otherwise I would have broken pieces all over the place. Also easier...
                          Yesterday, 09:49 PM
                        • will8989
                          Reply to Bruce, the one on probation
                          by will8989
                          He’s gotten me through some pretty tough times and always has my back so It’s the least I can do. Good thing I had the freezer stocked! That has been a time saver. I made a pot of chili on Sunday and got 6 meals out of it! As for payback, I’m getting a new shed in the spring! I had to do my flap...
                          Yesterday, 09:32 PM
                        • will8989
                          Reply to Sundays market
                          by will8989
                          We did. I only went $40 over budget. I got a 73” x 12” x 3/4” curly cherry for $55. Just needs to be run through the sander and cut to size. It’s a pinkish cherry and is so pretty. A piece of deep red redwood, 2 pieces of walnut each about 12” wide. Good haul.
                          Yesterday, 08:56 PM
                        Working...
                        X