Looking for Victorian patterns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for Victorian patterns

I'd like to do panels with flowers, leaves, birds, etc., in a Victorian style.

Can anyone recommend a book or source with a lot to choose from, that they particularly like?

Pete

what is the scrolling style..intarsia, fret, marquetry ?
    Jeff Powell

Comment

Victorian work is fretwork -- now to answer Pete..... Try looking in the Fox Chappels list of books -they have tons of books on victorian work.. and I think they are having a sale on too..
      Sharon

Comment

Pedro's made some fine patterns available. I don't think they're Victorian, but many of them are in a Victorian style and they're free.

Gill
        There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.
        (Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Comment

A couple of more sources for Victorian patterns are Peculiar Fretworks and Rick Hutchison's website.
          Kevin
          Scrollsaw Patterns Online
          Making holes in wood with an EX-30, Craftsman 16" VS, Dremel 1680 and 1671

Comment

Here`s another site for victorian patterns..http://www.finescrollsaw.com/freepatterns.htm
            Smitty
            Dewalt 788

Comment

Right after posting I did a search and bang, hit on the Fox Chapel books. My use is for a single project, so I'm sort of dragging my feet over shelling out for a book.

I've got some old lithographs I want to make puzzles from that are portraits of a rather bodacious young Victorian lady. The background is very plain so I thought I'd jazz it up with a fretwork-style design. It won't be contoured, so I guess it's "quasi-fretwork". The nature of the picture is such that the design should be floral (rather than pineapples and quail, for example), and robust enough that it can can be cut into puzzle pieces.

So thanks for the leads, everyone! Lots of great material to look over. Good to know in any event, because some day I'd like to try some antique-style fretwork. One of those outrageous bird houses (palaces??) on Rick H's site, for example.

Pete

Comment

Pete:

A day late and two bits short on posting this but here it is anyway---

http://www.peculiarfretworks.com/

Victorian fretwork patterns: "Authentic Victorian Scroll Saw Patterns"

Phil

PS: BobD, maybe this link should be posted in the 'Other Great Sites'
                phil

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• will8989
                  Bruce, the one on probation
                  by will8989
                  is doing great in therapy. His range of motion is about 3 weeks ahead of where they expected him to be. He has zero strength in his hand or arm. He tried to grate some cheese, and he couldn’t hold the grater. The doctor had to do repair stitching on the muscle and that will take the longest to heal....
                  Today, 12:59 AM
                • will8989
                  Sundays market
                  by will8989
                  When we started out, it was 45 deg and rain. When we got there it was 44 deg and rain. By the time we left it stopped raining but was 42 deg. and windy. Luckily we are under cover but that doesn’t stop the wind. I sold 4 baskets, Sealife puzzle and a few other things. I moved the coffee grinders...
                  Today, 12:46 AM
                • will8989
                  Reply to Dog Puzzle - Aussie
                  by will8989
                  I thought I read you use shrink wrapped bags for your puzzles. Where do you get them from?...
                  Today, 12:27 AM
                • jim_mex
                  Reply to Carved Fretwork Pumpkin
                  by jim_mex
                  Hey Quartz - thats great scrolling and carving work which the LED lighting sets off a treat - or was that a trick?

Love it!
                  Yesterday, 08:47 PM
                • KarlB
                  Reply to Carved Fretwork Pumpkin
                  by KarlB
                  Very well done!

Karl
                  Yesterday, 07:36 PM
                Working...
                X