Blade Chuck question?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blade Chuck question?

I just ordered another blade chuck for my 788 saw & was wondering if any of you 788 owners have had problems with the aluminum blade chuck, stripping out the threads on the thumb screw side? I have done the reverse thing & still cutting, while I wait for the new one. I wish they would make these out of a more hardened metal, & not aluminum. I guess I am just too tuff on the tightening of my blades. I even took off the enlarged handles that I made, because I think that tightens them even more. Other than this problem, I'm having good luck with my saw. I wish someone would machine one of these chuck's out of steel instead of aluminum. Let me know if you are having problems like this too. Thanks.
    PERK

A lot of us do have that problem and most of us keep an extra set on hand just because they do strip out. Do not over tighten the blade chuck. My 788 is 13 years old and I have only had to replace the thumb screws 2 times in all those years. I now am using a ex21 and it has the same part on it.
    "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
    Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

It's a common problem and caused more by the steel thumbscrew vs the aluminum block than overtightening, though overtightening does hasten the wear. The steel threads of the thumbscrew, when tightened thousands of times, wear out the softer aluminum threads in the clamp block. If you use your saw for any amount or length of time, these will wear out. If you overtighten the thumbscrew, it will only happen faster.
      Homer : "Oh, and how is education supposed to make me feel smarter. Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain."

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Jim Finn
        Reply to Farmers market "survey"
        by Jim Finn
        The fees here in Lubbock Texas are $45 per year plus $15 per 10' x 10' space each Saturday that I show up. . Crafters are limited to number and type (to avoid duplication, competition) Any kind of set up allowed, meaning, tent or truck or trailer. No insurance requirements, just a sellers permit from...
        Today, 04:48 PM
      • MidMich324
        Reply to Plastic puzzle
        by MidMich324
        Using Corel Draw a 10 inch round acrylic jigsaw puzzle was created. It was the cut on an Epilog Laser. Two passes were used to cut thru 1/4 acrylic so as not to melt the plastic. Only one person has put it together so far. It is about 475 pieces. But would really like to try and cut one by...
        Today, 03:57 PM
      • RJweb
        Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
        by RJweb
        As far as the Incra miter gauge, if you keep it 1/4 inch away you will be fine, but you will have to adjust it when doing angle cuts, it’s a great miter gauge, RJ...
        Today, 03:42 PM
      • Linda In Phoenix
        Farmers market "survey"
        by Linda In Phoenix
        Curiosity regarding farmers markets.
        I have only looked into a few, and I know that each one has different requirements.
        For those of you who do them, what are 'typical' requirements for yours?

The nearest one to me that might have potential, and allows crafters requires:...
        Today, 11:14 AM
      • Linda In Phoenix
        Reply to Farmers market
        by Linda In Phoenix
        Truly a nice display. I'm happy for you! Our nearest 2 farmers markets are still food items only as county and city covid rules are still being applied. Our best nearby one is on county parks department property and they haven't lifted essential business and crowd restrictions yet. But the food...
        Today, 11:00 AM
      Working...
      X