Spray adhesive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spray adhesive

What is the best spray adhesive for patterns? I have tried the Elmers spray adhesive and the pattern usually comes up halfway through a project. Tired of having to stop to tape up a raising pattern. Any help would be appreciated.

Todd---Loving my Ex-16

Here's a recent thread on the topic that may help.

http://www.scrollsawer.com/forum/beg...-saw/41912.htm

I used to have problems with patterns lifting when I used Duro spray adhesive. I gave up on it and went back to Krylon Repositionable Spray. I read a number of posts about people who used Duro, so I gave it another try. I discovered that I wasn't applying it heavy enough. Once I put on a heavier coat, it held fine. Duro isn't available anymore. It's now sold under the Loctite brand name. I've heard complaints about Loctite adhesive letting go as well, but I just used it extensively for a number of Christmas projects and had no problems with the pattern lifting. In fact, it held so well, I had to soak it longer than normal with mineral spirits to get it off.

Everyone has their favorites, but in my opinion, get whatever is readily available and least expensive. Maybe you'll have to spray a little heavier coat, but just about any brand will work.
    Homer : "Oh, and how is education supposed to make me feel smarter. Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain."

Comment

3m 77....or 3m 45
      "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
      Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Thanks for the quick input on this. I will try the 3M today. I didn't want to have to use mineral spirits to remove a pattern. I usually put painters tape down first and adhere pattern to that. Thanks again for the great info!

Todd----Loving my EX-16

Comment

I use 3M 77 it works for me.

Bob
          Delta P-20 & Q-3

I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger. Then it hit me!

Comment

I am using 3M #77 and like it, it is also the only one I have ever tried.
            Bob making sawdust in SW Louisiana
            with a EX-21

Comment

DURO All purpose works well also. Lowes, Home Depot, Walmart should all carry it.

Comment

I put down blue tape also and then attach the pattern to the tape. I figured out also that you must put a pretty heavy coat of loctite to really make it hold. I also use elmers glue but you have to wait for it to dry and with the spray it dries pretty fast. If I'm in a hurry I use the spray.

Comment

I find 3M-77 works better for me. I have used several kinds and find this one to work the best. I also use blue tape just because do not want to mess with the resido left on the wood. Just my 2 cents worth.
                  Sawdust-granny

Comment

I had a ball today. Last year before Christmas I glued down a pattern on the wood (for a bowl) cut it and left it. The type where you cut out the rings on one piece of wood. Yep for the whole year. When I glue on a pattern it is on. After two and a half hours today got the pattern off. I did use MS and sander to clean it off. Now it is drying and the Bride will get her new bowl next Christmas. Naw, I'll give it to her next week. She is used to getting late Christmas presents.
                    Chuck D

When a work lifts your spirits and inspires bold and noble thoughts in you, do not look for any other standard to judge by: the work is good, the product of a master craftsman.
                    Jean De La Bruyere...

l
                    Hegner 18, Delta p-20, Griz 14 inch Band saw

Comment

DURO also works well for me , Walmart carries this brand . You know I've used this Elmers and never had any problems with it - are you putting enough on it ...make sure that it's flatened out good after you spray it on & give it a little longer to dry ........MB
                      Usually busier than a cat in a sandbox !!!!!!!!!!! MB { Dewalt 788 only }

Comment

I and a lot of members of our Club use the Xyron laminator for attaching patterns. It comes loaded with a permanent adhesive, but you can also purchase repositionable adhesive. When I use the permanent I also use blue tape. The system is a little pricy, but I bought it at AC Moore with a half off coupon. It really works great. I bought the nine inch model, Xyron 900, which so far has worked well for me.
                        Joe Pascucci
                        Hegner
                        "You can't put your arm in the same river twice!"

Proud member of the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                        X