two more from granddaughter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• two more from granddaughter

This summer, at her request, I began teaching my 8 1/2 year old granddaughter how to scroll. Here are the latest two projects which she completed this weekend when we were able to get her, both Sat. and Sun. afternoon, without her parents being with her. Both are made of 3/4" straight grained pine and were cut with #5 RT blades. Big enough to withstand the rough turning of an almost 9 year old and small enough to cut some detail. The Delta was run at about 1/2 speed, with the holddown in use, to give her more control. The were Hanukkah presents for mommy and daddy but given to them this weekend.

The cow tissue box was cut and sanded two weeks ago but glued up and painted on Saturday afternoon. The pattern is from Meisel. We first planned the gluing and painting sequence, then with minimal help from me, mostly holding the clamps in place and opening acrylic craft paint bottles, she completed the project. Mommy loves cows.

She had also requested an I Love Daddy present with her picture. I designed one two weeks ago, but she didn't like it when I showed it to her on Saturday so I redesigned it for Sunday. It was cut and painted by her Sunday afternoon and given to daddy on Sunday evening when we brought her home. She threaded the blades for the internal cuts and used my sanding mop on the drill press to ease the edges. At first she didn't want to use it but after she was through, she said "that was much easier and faster than doing it by hand the was I did the others. Can we use it on other projects?" Of course I said yes.

Thanks for viewing her work. I am super proud of her.

george

tissue cow.jpgi love daddy.jpg
    A day without sawdust is a day without sunshine.
    George

delta 650, hawk G426

Very nice. I am sure her mommy and daddy will love them!

Comment

Great stuff, wish I had that sort of encouragemet when I was younger. ou all should be very proud. Your Daughter for what she has achieved and having a Dad who is willing to teach yer and trust her with the tools, and yourself for having a Daughter who is talented and willing to learn. And mum has got to be proud of the two of you for the same reasons.

Tell her well done, and well done Dad <----- hehe sorry, Grandad I should have said.
      Last edited by Sunlion; 12-19-2011, 11:09 AM. Reason: edited to add an extra generation :)
      The Journey Is Everything.

http://www.sunlion-pyrography.co.uk/

My Google+

Comment

Great job grandpa....she did a pretty good job too!
        "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
        Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Very nice! I bet mom and dad will love her projects she did for them.
          Good learning experience for her and she will only continue to get better and better.
          Maybe she will continue to like doing it.

Comment

George,

How wonderful! She did a good job on those and I know Mom and Dad were tickled pink to receive them.

Way to go, Grandpa! The times spent in the shop with you are so very special and she will always treasure them, I know.

Nancy in AZ
            A clean house is a sign of a broken scroll saw!

Comment

Wonderful time spent together! You are both very lucky.
              DeWalt 788

Comment

Good job with the teaching/coaching grandpa!!! What great memories to cherish and I like her strong will to do what she wanted...great girl power - lol! Hopefully you have her hooked for years to come and she will continue scrolling with grandpa...so much better than a video game! She did a wonderful job and I know mom and dad will cherish the gifts for years to come.
                ~ Kim

A day in my shop is like a day at the beach...full of sunshine and ya never know where the sawdust may end up!

www.gonecoastalart.com

Comment

Thanks for all the kind and encouraging words folks. I will pass them on to her. She will be staying with us all of next week so maybe another project or two is in the offing. If not, just her presence in the house brings us joy...not much rest, but joy. Mommy jumped up and down with joy and daddy almost cried when she gave them their presents.

george
                  A day without sawdust is a day without sunshine.
                  George

delta 650, hawk G426

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• KarlB
                    Reply to Home remodeling completed !!!
                    by KarlB
                    Very nice Jim. You have a very contemporary look now! Since I do cabinet, Entertainment centers, etc. for my work I see a lot of the same looks being done here in Naples. (i.e. large porcelain tiles, lighted dropped ceiling)

I do like your use of the space in the door way for additional...
                    Today, 09:41 PM
                  • KarlB
                    Reply to Craft Knife blade holder
                    by KarlB
                    Well judging from the photos, it looks like it could be a scroll or band saw. (The photos, although a bit blurred, show a few burrs at the cut.) It also appears the set screw may go into the other side of the cut as the hole on the blade would allow the pass through. Maybe, however it is just a pressure...
                    Today, 09:31 PM
                  • will8989
                    Reply to Home remodeling completed !!!
                    by will8989
                    Beautiful!...
                    Today, 09:19 PM
                  • will8989
                    Reply to Big week here
                    by will8989
                    Bruce said he felt like he needed to look for a job when he first retired. That lasted for about a month and he hasn’t looked back since. I had a friend whose company gave him a 50th party. At the party he told them he was retiring in 2 weeks! Trust us, you will love being retired.
                    Today, 09:09 PM
                  • jim_mex
                    Reply to New PC keyboard has an error
                    by jim_mex
                    Hi ibber - LOL!

I took the keyboard back to the store a while back and they hadn't got a replacement in stock. Since I like the look o it I think I am going to play attack it later this evening and try to sort out the problem.
                    ingers crossed
                    Today, 07:35 PM
                  Working...
                  X