oh shoot!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oh shoot!

Doesn't it just frost your cake when you realize, after the glue is dry, that you have glued up your project that you worked so long and hard at, wrong side to the front?
    I will finish it and keep it for myself instead of giving it as a gift tho. Photos later when it is allll finished.
    ggggrrrrrrrrr! oh well....live and learn, hopefully.
    Not that I haven't done this before a bunch of times. Maybe I can blame my age or eyesight. Probably impatience tho.
    It's really just a simple project but one I wanted to come out .... better.
    Pacifism is great, as long as everyone is participating.

StephenD

The Southern Arizona Woodturners Association
    Desert Woodcrafters
    Grandpa for the 7 most amazing children.

Hi Steven. I have done the same thing and it is so annoying because deep down we know better, it is a lapse of concentration and as we get older it gets worse. The last few days have been a frustrating time for me as I learn more about portrait making through my mistakes but I feel I have arrived, going to post two new ones i did today, just waiting for the paint to dry.

Comment

I know it's terrible being human Stephen ............I screw up alot myself .......MB
      Usually busier than a cat in a sandbox !!!!!!!!!!! MB { Dewalt 788 only }

Comment

Ah yes, have done that too...made me think of this summer when I finished a very delicate trivet and grabbed what I thought was spray poly and actually was "white paint".

Comment

I am so glad that I've never made a mistake in the shop. I thought I made a mistake once but I was mistaken, so--- I guess I have made** one mistake**....LOL
          "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
          Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

I glue up the boards to make a Band saw box, spend so much time figuring which will be the back and front and cut the back off....yep, you guessed it, I cut the wrong side off....now I make a large mark on what should be the back side, so I don't mess them up. I cut 3 -4 box parts at one time so it's very easy to make a mistake...being a man and always in a hurry I guess. Stephen, you are not alone in this mistake
            Hawaiilad
            Larry

Comment

Naw......messups...mistakes?
              Not me. No, never. lol......yeah, right.

Comment

hehe, not so very long ago, and this is ebarrassing to tell.......

My old bench pillar drill would not go. I was used to switching it on listen to its rattling from the pully cover that was always at a slightly juanty angle due to the usualy badly designed safety switch. (many, many different pillar and bench drills seem to suffer from this)

All I could hear was a humming, tried switching it on and off, checking tension on belt, the safety switch etc. Oh well I thought, possibly needs new bushes or cleaning, or bearing etc, maybe I should strip the motor and give it a what'sover.

So I stripped it down, and not without some difficulty, checked it out, cleaned it up, though looked clean enough aven after all these years. Can't recall how old it is, bought it at auction possibly in the eaighties. So put it all back together, and humming but no driveing.

Sulked, looked through catalogues, thought about taking motor for a serviceing. (it turned out its a brushless motor btw) Then took another look a couple days later. Thought I would change the belt for the spare I had while at it, and noticed something.

Aaaargh!! the grub screw had worked loose in the pulley attached to the motor. Now I had stripped it out, and put it back, but that grub screw it seems had worn.

Having been used to the rattletrap sound it made and not a humming I quickly realised that the hummimg was the sweet sound of the motor running as smooth as it probably ever has, and having got used to the sound of the top casing rattleing like an old sherman tank, I had not realised that the motor had all the time been running smoothly, and I had not seen the rotor arm spinning in the small gap at the bottom of the belt pully.

<Slaps head> I mean how stupid is that. hehe, I tried to tighten the grum, but over the years it had worn so replaced it, and yup! runs just fine.

hehe, guess first thing I should have done at the time was have a cuppa, sat and had a ciggie and then tackled it, but no I wanted to tset out a new Forsner bit and had missed the obvious and easy first step of checking the drive connection. O.o

hehe

Sunlion
                The Journey Is Everything.

http://www.sunlion-pyrography.co.uk/

My Google+

Comment

Well now, I feel better. I don't feel better about my mistake but glad to be in such lofty company.
                  Pacifism is great, as long as everyone is participating.

StephenD

The Southern Arizona Woodturners Association
                  Desert Woodcrafters
                  Grandpa for the 7 most amazing children.

Comment

My father in law had carpet put in their house and one of the doors drug real bad on the new carpet so he took it off and went to the shop and cut about a quarter of an inch off of it and it still drug so he cut another quarter and it still drug afterh the third quarter inch he realized he was cutting it off the wrong end of the door. (True story)

Comment

even I feel better for that one Okie.

hehe heres a pic of my Kinzo, who I will listen to closer rather than ignoring its gentle whispers lol
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Sunlion; 12-07-2011, 04:47 AM. Reason: typo
                      The Journey Is Everything.

http://www.sunlion-pyrography.co.uk/

My Google+

Comment

If it wouldn't mess it up too badly, you could try to loosen the glue with fingernail polish remover, and clean it up to glue all over again. I don't know if it would work for sure, but it will on some glues, including super glues.
                        And all of us have done something like that before.
                        Have faith, and check 2 or 3 times before final glue up. Paul

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                        X