Using clear packaging tape

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using clear packaging tape

I picked up a tip for attaching patterns that I have found to be helpful. I tried gluing the patterns directly to the wood, however, removing the pattern was a chore. Instead I now use clear packaging tape, gluing the pattern over that. The tape serves as a lubricant and allows for easy removal of the pattern.

How about removing the tape from the wood?
    Most use blue painters tape.
    The tape has no lubricant but has a chemical like cilicone what releases friction.
    FD Mike
    SD Mike

Comment

I use blue tape on wood then glue pattern to that. When dry cover with packing tape and cut.
      "All it Takes For the Forces of EVIL to Rule Is For Enough GOOD People To DO NOTHING!"

Saws: Excaliber 30; Dewalt 788 'Twins', Makita SJ401 (Retired), Grizzly G1012 18" Bandsaw

Comment

I glue the pattern to the wood with a stick glue, most of it peels of afterwards and then I lightly sand on a belt/disc sander. It is a cheap way for me. I would love to use blue tape but here in the UK it is so expensive, 7 UK pounds for just one roll so I will stick with the glue for now. On thick hardwoods up to 3/4 inch I also use a clear packing tape, it makes a big difference.

Comment

There is no perfect way. Yes clear tape directly on the wood works well for some projects but I have had some very bad experiences with tape directly on the wood when it comes to detailed fret work. Removing the tape can break delicate areas and also pulls fibers out of the wood, especially when used on plywood. I do like the lubricating properties of the clear tape and I use it whenever the project allows.

Thanks for the suggestions.
          Scott
          Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

This subject surfaces frequently. I use the blue tape for small projects. For large projects I use this stuff 288 in. x 18 in. Clear Drawer/Shelf Liner-24F-C9998-06 at The Home Depot
            Clear removable contact paper. One roll lasts a long time.
            I don't like clear packing tape on top of my projects as I always seem to have a problem with saw dust getting under it while I am cutting, obscuring my lines.
            Last edited by Rolf; 11-30-2011, 12:02 PM.
            Rolf
            RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
            Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
            Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
            And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

I use nothing but the blue painters tape. I sand the stock before I apply the tape and leave the dust on. This makes removal even easier even from fine fret work. I find it lubes the blade just as well as clear. I buy it at Sams Club or Lowes in 3&4 roll bundles at a reasonable cost.
              May the wind at you back .....
              Not be from Lunch.

Don't take life too seriously; No one gets out alive.

Beauty is in the eye of the BEERHOLDER

Visit My Gallery

Oily's Gallery

http://www.picturetrail.com/oily11

Comment

The down side to using the clear tape is that it can be difficult to remove, I can imagine it would be very difficult on small areas. I haven't used the blue tape before, since I am going to be cutting tonight, I'm gonna try it.

Comment

I sand my wood then apply plain masking tape. I spray adhesive on the masking
                  tape and glue the pattern to that. I cover it all with clear packing tape and cut.
                  When I get done I just peel off the masking tape and have a smooth finish on
                  the final work. I've never had a problem doing this.
                  Rick

Comment

Not only can the clear tape be difficult to remove, I know from experience that sometimes you don't realize you missed a piece until it ruins the finish. I've almost had the same thing happen with tan masking tape.

The blue tape seems expensive, but when you break it down to a per-project cost, it's not much more than the clear tape.

Comment

Shelf Liner

I like the idea of using shelf liner under the pattern. Currently, I use 2 inch masking tape which works well but you have to look close to make sure you don't leave some on small cuts. I can see where there might be a problem of missing some with the clear shelf liner but what if you used the one with designs? Seems to me it would be almost impossible to miss those. Just an idea

Comment

I have never had an issue with left over contact paper. It also comes off much easier than the blue tape in those small areas.
                        Rolf
                        RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
                        Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
                        Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
                        And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Originally posted by Rolf View Post
                          This subject surfaces frequently. I use the blue tape for small projects. For large projects I use this stuff 288 in. x 18 in. Clear Drawer/Shelf Liner-24F-C9998-06 at The Home Depot
                          Clear removable contact paper. One roll lasts a long time.
                          I don't like clear packing tape on top of my projects as I always seem to have a problem with saw dust getting under it while I am cutting, obscuring my lines.
                          Quite right, Rolf, I use that myself I buy mine from Wal-mart.

-Bill
                          -Bill

My saw is a DeWalt788 Measure twice; cut once; count fingers after cut

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                          X