suggestions for best magnifier?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• suggestions for best magnifier?

I have a magnifying lamp which probably magnifies about 3X. It's great for average sized cuts, but I felt some eye strain when I cut an ornament with lots of small cuts.

Any suggestions for a quaility high powered magnifer, either a lamp/magnifier combination, or a visor type of magnifier? I'd probably want at least a 5X magnifier (not sure if they go higher than that).

Many thanks for any suggestions!

Daylight Slimline Magnifying Lamp-White*: magnifiers*: lighting*: Shop | Joann.com

This one is half off.. not sure for how long.. I tried the 2.25X and it was too big for me.. not sure how the 2x 5x and there numbers compute.

The white light is great.

They sold out..........
    Last edited by keystonecop; 11-29-2011, 11:29 AM. Reason: They sold out.. they run the sale often.
    The other John A. Nelson
    johnsworkshop.com
    sigpic
    I just follow the lines and make sawdust
    on a Seyco ST-21 and a Yellow DW788

Comment

I use a head maginifier like the ones jewlers use except mine has different lens to attach depending on the maginification I need it goes from 4x up to 20x and even has 4 led lights on it though I don't use the lights. I don't remember how much it cost but do believe I got it at harbor frieght. It was a long time ago and I use it daily.
      "Keep Scrolling Along"
      Chris "The WoodArtist"
      https://www.facebook.com/TheWoodArtistWoodShop

Comment

Check out Judy Gale Roberts website at Judy Gale Roberts Intarsia. She has a magnifying lamp with interchangeable 3 diopter and 5 diopter lenses.

Jan

Comment

http://www.scrollsawer.com/forum/too...ades/34068.htm

Comment

Thanks!

These suggestions are very helpful, and I'll follow up on them to see what's out there. Thanks again, it's much appreciated!

Comment

when i have a little extra cash im going to get the magnifier light from Rockler
              Rockler LED Work Light with Magnifying Head - Rockler Woodworking Tools
              this comparison has me sold on which one to get.
              just wish it was on sale!

+ + I Love The Smell Of Sawdust In The Morning + +

Comment

I bought this one.
                Long Reach, GXOMAG8082-8 , Illuminated Table Clamp: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

I got the extra reach so that I could have it at the back of my machine set up and it arches over. Cheap enough, good magnification, (4" lens), quite good articulation and I use a 40 watt golf ball bulb which suits me fine. I bought it because the machine I am practising on has a stocky foot that is intregal to the blade guide, making it hard to follow the lines. This zooms me right in where the action is.

Still getting used to the enlarged image as my hands want to get in closer, it's as if my head is saying my hands are too far from where they should be, but with practice and muscle memory this will pass I am sure with enough use.
                The Journey Is Everything.

http://www.sunlion-pyrography.co.uk/

My Google+

Comment

I agree with keystone cop......go with the Daylight Slimline Magnifying Lamp-White*: magnifiers*: lighting*: Shop | Joann.com. I've had mine for over a year and its fantastic. I got mine at Judy Gale Roberts as someone mentioned she sells them.

Comment

I got mine from grizzly it is the one with the biggest lens it has 2lights and is very bright I have one of the normal size ones and hate it now the one with the big lens is.great so I thank the bigger lens the better

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• jim_mex
                      Reply to My first decent furniture project - Welding and woodwork combined
                      by jim_mex
                      Hi Linda - thanks for the comments on the welds. It took me an hour or so to get into the swing of MIG wire welding but I really like it in preference to stick welding especially for welding thinner material. I confess to investing in a new angle grinder to help with the cleanup and dressing. I bought...
                      Today, 12:25 AM
                    • keystonecop
                      Bread and Cheese..
                      by keystonecop
                      ‚Äč Scrollsaw Woodworking and crafts Winter 2020 3/4 Cherry. A work in progress. This has been one of the most frustrating and rewarding projects that I have ever done. @Fiona Kingdon is by far one of the great scroll saw artists. Her patterns are not always the type that I like (I like to follow red...
                      Today, 12:08 AM
                    • keystonecop
                      Reply to Recommendations anyone?
                      by keystonecop
                      This is in a 5x5 area.. The total shop is 10x12 ...
                      Today, 12:01 AM
                    • jim_mex
                      Reply to Turning to something new
                      by jim_mex
                      Wow! That segmented bowl is amazing!

Betty - I have an old Darth Vader helmet somewhere. Will that substitute Bruce's get up? Failing that there always my current biker's helmet Thanks very much for the safety advice and concern. Rest assured that safety is my priority these days....
                      Yesterday, 11:57 PM
                    • will8989
                      Reply to Turning to something new
                      by will8989
                      That is beautiful. Your design?
                      Yesterday, 11:42 PM
                    Working...
                    X