making toy car wheels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• making toy car wheels

I made about 60 toy cars from the magazine and wonder if there is a simple way of making the wheels which will turn out a consistant size .

I made some 1" with 1/8" axle hole on the scrollsaw .The drill press axle hole was never consistant .

Other than purchasing is there a simple method ?

Roger

Check out this link Roger, may be of some help....Tips and tricks using your drill press
    Gloria ............... Two memorable things to say in life, "Hello" for the first time, and "Good-bye" for the last.

Comment

WD, that was going to be my answer. I used a hole saw for the wheels. The 1/4 in drill bit for the center of the hole was perfect for the axle but I used a slightly bigger bit for the axle hole in the car.
      Pacifism is great, as long as everyone is participating.

StephenD

The Southern Arizona Woodturners Association
      Desert Woodcrafters
      Grandpa for the 7 most amazing children.

Comment

I too used to use a hole saw on my drill press. I didn't like how much sanding I had to do. I have an easier method. I buy dowels the size I need and cut them--carefully--on my chop saw. I usually have about four inch piece left over. I don't want to get too close the blade. I then make a jib with a hole saw to place my newly cut wheel in to make the holes for the axles. Works great and is quick.

Comment

I looked @ the hole saws but I couldn't find one with an 1/8" bit . The closest I got to a descent center was by using a wood lathe.

WD, interesting ideas in the link .

Looks like the dowel and jig might be the answer .

Thanks for the suggestions .

Roger

Comment

Roger,

Cherry Tree has this wheel cutter (Wheel And Circle Cutter) that looks like it would work. A little expensive unless you are doing a bunch and it sounds like you are.

I thought I saw a wheel cutter that was more like a Forstner bit that would round the edges but I don't remember where that was.

Hope this helps.
            Dan H

I would rather be friendly to a stranger than be a stranger to my friends.

Comment

There is another way. 5 In. Circle Cutter-5B at The Home Depot

I have been using this type of cutter for years and have made literally 100s of wheels. The cutter itself is easy to sharpen and I have used it to cut wheels out of pine and Red Oak.

Comment

1/8" dowel is too weak for an axle on a toy. 1/4" is the standard for 1" wheels or larger. I make a lot of toys and sell them and I buy my wheels but I used to make them, but only the larger ones like 2". I feel it is safer and quicker to buy pegs made for toy wheel axles and attach wheels using them instead of dowels.
                Last edited by Jim Finn; 11-27-2011, 09:21 AM.
                Hegner Polymax- 3,Hegner Multimax-3,
                "No PHD, just a DD 214"

Comment

I have a hole saw and a lathe and have made my own. Drilled them and then put on the lathe to sand and add a little detail.

I like to use the wheels with treads and when I figured out it was not worth my time to make when I can buy those for 20 cents at Stockade in Canada when I buy 100. (25 cents less qty). I have made a couple of trucks that use dual wheels, I just glue 2 together.

One inch contour are only 9 cents which I use on the alphabet train.

I now just buy them. For things like this I am thankful $5 bills where invented.

Don
                  Don McFarland ​Member - Durham Woodworking Club http://www.durhamwoodworkingclub.com/

Comment

I have looked @ windsor plywood wheels @ 20 cents ea. and BearWoods with a $25.00 mininum order plus sh.

Lots of options .Thanks,
                    Roger

Comment

I like to use a hole saw to cut the wheels, and then put several of them together on a piece of allthread. I then mount them in my lathe and smooth them up making them all the same size and sanded smooth at the same time. If you add a washer or 2 between the wheels you can also round the sides of the wheels at the same time you are smoothing them up.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                      X