Backers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Backers

What's everyone's choice for backing material for pieces that require that? Construction paper? Thin painted wood? colored felt? Thanks as always.
    Dan

My Gallery

Dan,

I use felt for most of my portraits. If they are framed behind glass, the felt looks nice and won't collect dust. Sometimes, though, I paint the backer board (usually a matte color). Construction paper will fade over time.
    Dan H

I would rather be friendly to a stranger than be a stranger to my friends.

Comment

I agree with Dan but I have also used fabric that I filched from my mother's sewing room.

Comment

I buy my felt by the yard at walmart for 3.00 - 4.00 a yard. It's my preference for backer

sully

Comment

99% of the time I use 1/4" or 1/8" luan(door skin). I spray flat black or stain for contrast.
          May the wind at you back .....
          Not be from Lunch.

Don't take life too seriously; No one gets out alive.

Beauty is in the eye of the BEERHOLDER

Visit My Gallery

Oily's Gallery

http://www.picturetrail.com/oily11

Comment

My preference is stained Oak plywood. I prefer a natural wood look. Sometimes I will use painted Baltic birch plywood. I make my own frames and glue the work and backer board into the frame.
            Dan in So.Ca.

Comment

It depends on the specific piece. I like using black acrylic,sometimes mirror acrylic too, but Ive also used black velvet matt board,or dyed, painted, or stained plywood backing. Each project gets its own individual consideration for the backer.
              Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

Poster board or mat board will hold up much better then construction paper.
                Scott
                Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Rolf
                  Reply to New turning tools
                  by Rolf
                  I have not had the time to tackle this project but it will be done at some point.
                  Today, 08:59 AM
                • will8989
                  Reply to Tough Decisions
                  by will8989
                  Thanks Rolf. You said in way less words than I did....
                  Today, 08:54 AM
                • Rolf
                  Reply to Tough Decisions
                  by Rolf
                  Most of the books have the page size pattern with a scaling factor on the page. I am fine with that. Then there is the issue of the less computer literate who will have no clue about scaling or have the resources to do so. Maybe for the oversize patterns have an additional scaled copy to fit a standard...
                  Today, 08:49 AM
                • millwab
                  Reply to Source for 5-Ply poplar plywood?
                  by millwab
                  I’ve migrated to poplar from Baltic birch for my puzzles in part because it’s easier to cut and doesn’t wear out blades as quickly as the BB does. I can usually cut 5x the number of puzzle pieces in poplar than BB with each blade. I currently get my poplar ply from Cherry Tree. They sell it in...
                  Yesterday, 11:30 PM
                • will8989
                  Reply to Tough Decisions
                  by will8989
                  Skimming through this post, I came across 1 response to Quartz and one to Bill Wilson as PMs from Kelly, a new editorial assistant, regarding our comments. Here is my 2 cents regarding the copying. To understand what we mean, please take the issue with the sword fish on the front and copy that on a...
                  Yesterday, 11:15 PM
                Working...
                X