Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lower clamp problem

i have an EX-21 saw and have been having a problem with the lower clamp
    which is when i go to clamp in a blade it gets pushed out when im tightening
    the knob.
    the little spinner end works fine on the knob and i clean/sand the blade ends
    and have done the same to the spinner parts but when i tighten the knob it
    just slowly pushes the blade out.

its frustrating cause i have to take a very small flat blade screwdriver and hold
    the blade in with left hand and tighten the knob with right hand. it sucks cause
    there is no quick blade changes.

anyone else have this problem and how do i fix it?

+ + I Love The Smell Of Sawdust In The Morning + +

Sounds like the screw on the opposite side from the knob is in too far and perhaps worn. Unless something is stuck in the back of the blade groove.
    That's all I can think of.
    Regis
    An old beginner leaping in.

Pleased with my new EX-16.

Comment

i have the little screw a little out past even and the knob is new but i did clean
      the rotator end with sandpaper.

Comment

I own an EX-30 and was having the same issue. I called Ray at Seyco and he said that I had over-tightened the lower blade retainer and sprung the clamp. If you purchased the saw through Seyco they will send you a replacement retainer.

Comment

when you say lower blade retainer do you mean the lower blade clamp?
          and when you say sprung, do you mean the sides of the clamp that has
          the set screw on one side and the knob on the other got spread apart?
          like a U getting pushed out to a V shape, but not as drastic?

Comment

It could be that the end of the knob thread that pushes onto the blade has worn and is no longer flat.. this would then force the blade out of position when it was tightened.

As a test swap the knobs and see if it happens on the top.

Comment

i have taken the knob out and run it across a flat sheet of fine sandpaper so i would think the spinner end is flat.

Comment

If you talk to Rey at Seyco, he will recommend that you do NOT rub the set screw and thumb screw ends with sandpaper. Those ends have to be perfectly flat and even. You will more than likely mess that up rubbing them with sandpaper. If those ends have even the slightest angle it will effect how it holds your blade. I know cause I made that mistake. Once I rubbed it with sandpaper, I could not seem to get the ends perfectly level and flat all around. You're better off buying the rebuilt kit that he sells. It replaces the set screw and the little end that comes out of your thumb screw.

Comment

so i would think the spinner end is flat.
                  But did you swap it with the top one ?

What happens when you do will prove whats wrong.

Comment

i put in a new lower knob i had and it kept pushing the blade out
                    i took a flat edge and put it against the little spinner on the old one
                    and new one and neither one were flat, so whats up with that?

Comment

Try what DaveP suggested, swap that thumbscrew with the one in the upper blade holder and see if it makes any difference.
                      Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

it never hurts to try so i will give it a go and see what happens!

Comment

i forgot about this thread i had.
                          i ended up pulling off the lower blade chuck to take a look at it and i can see why the blades kept getting pushed out, previous owner(s) had to be cranking down really hard on the knob as the walls of the block were pushed apart so far that only the very ends of the flat parts of the knob and the set screw would touch on the blade and when it got tightened it would just push the blade out and now with the new lower clamp installed it works great!

i ordered the parts from Ray on a Monday and he had them in my hand on Thursday so once again great service from Seyco.

Last edited by Northerner; 05-28-2012, 02:46 PM.

Comment

just wanted to report back again, its been a month since i got the new lower block installed and i have been very happy how good my excalibur has been working. bottom clamp holds the blade nice and tight the way it is supposed to with no extra over tightening of the bottom knob.

if anyone ever has trouble with the bottom blade being pushed out you will know what to do to fix it!

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Linda In Phoenix
                              Reply to Shrink wrap systems
                              by Linda In Phoenix
                              I checked out www.ULine.com We used them years ago at the company I used to work at, and they were really reputable to work with. They have machines, guns, bags, and film. I just don't really know what works best, as well as if there is a really great priced to buy from. To date I've been a frugal...
                              Yesterday, 10:01 PM
                            • will8989
                              Reply to Dog Puzzle - Aussie
                              by will8989
                              Will check out amazon tomorrow. Thanks.
                              Yesterday, 09:53 PM
                            • will8989
                              Reply to Shrink wrap systems
                              by will8989
                              Well, I used to get my shrink wrap rolls from AC Moore, and just used the last roll😟. I use a heat gun but lately and only shrink the Sealife puzzles to keep the pieces in place. I only use it on puzzles because of my display board otherwise I would have broken pieces all over the place. Also easier...
                              Yesterday, 09:49 PM
                            • will8989
                              Reply to Bruce, the one on probation
                              by will8989
                              He’s gotten me through some pretty tough times and always has my back so It’s the least I can do. Good thing I had the freezer stocked! That has been a time saver. I made a pot of chili on Sunday and got 6 meals out of it! As for payback, I’m getting a new shed in the spring! I had to do my flap...
                              Yesterday, 09:32 PM
                            • will8989
                              Reply to Sundays market
                              by will8989
                              We did. I only went $40 over budget. I got a 73” x 12” x 3/4” curly cherry for $55. Just needs to be run through the sander and cut to size. It’s a pinkish cherry and is so pretty. A piece of deep red redwood, 2 pieces of walnut each about 12” wide. Good haul.
                              Yesterday, 08:56 PM
                            Working...
                            X