Cutting Crown Moldings on a Scrollsaw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cutting Crown Moldings on a Scrollsaw

I am a novice with my SS and have not cut anything but straight lines todate. I would like to know if anyone has cut any crown moldings on their SS? I am trying to save my $$ by not having to buy a Mitre Saw.

All suggestions are welcome.

Woodman44, I have been cutting crown now for about 14 years (as well as other trim) and the only way I might have used a scroll saw would have been for coping an inside corner. And that would have only have been on a small piece. (I use a jig saw with a small blade and cope quite well.)

I would suggest purchasing a small miter saw used if you are interested in running your own crown. Even if you use small crown, a scroll saw is not the right tool for crown cutting and installation.

If cost is an issue, find a friend that can do it and barter with him (or her) for a service you can provide.

Karl
    Karl in Sunny Southwest Florida

Comment

Karl,

Thanks for your suggestions. There are several for sale on Craigs List in my area. Could you make a recommendation from the following list?
      1. Makita 14", ? model - $75
      2. ? Mfg. Model 05-28-21, 8 1/4" - $ 50
      3. Ridgid Model MS 1060, 10" - $ 100
      4. Ridgid (almost new), 10" - $ 90
      5. Black & Decker Firestorm Lazer, 10" - $ 130
      6. Craftsman Model 921238 Lazer, 10" - $ 150

Thanks again,

Ken

Comment

A scroll saw is not a good choice for cutting crown molding. For good cuts on crown molding, you need to be able to hold the stock firmly against fences and have positive, stable adjustments to make accurate miter cuts. Scroll saws are more of a freehand saw. It would be pretty tough to cut a miter on the end of a 10' length.

If a power miter box is out of your budget, you can use an inexpensive hand miter box & saw. These should be available at most tool stores and home improvement centers. Still not the greatest alternative, but far more appropriate than a scroll saw.
        Homer : "Oh, and how is education supposed to make me feel smarter. Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain."

Comment

Ken, here's my input for what it's worth:

1. Makita 14", ? model - $75
          Not sure if that's the right size, but we had a 15" a few years ago.
          Way to big even with the cheap price.

2. ? Mfg. Model 05-28-21, 8 1/4" - $ 50
          8 1/4" probably a sliding miter saw.
          I'm leery of the price, probably junk.

3. Ridgid Model MS 1060, 10" - $ 100
          Ridgid makes good products. I have sander and I like their saws.
          Might be good choice.

4. Ridgid (almost new), 10" - $ 90
          Again, probably a good choice.

5. Black & Decker Firestorm Lazer, 10" - $ 130
          Not familiar with B&D's saws.

6. Craftsman Model 921238 Lazer, 10" - $ 150
          Craftsman has always made good products.
          Probably out of budget if you aren't using it quite often.

Regardless of what you buy, you need to see the saw in person and try it out. Take a piece of wood and cut it and see if the cut is square. (Use a speed square or a sliding square.)

You can find new saws at Harbor Freight for what some of those used ones go for. I bought one for home from Tractor Supply a few years ago for $50.00 new. It's just a miter box, but it does just fine for cutoffs in my shop. (I replaced the 10" 50 tooth blade with something much less aggressive.)

Just my opinions.

Karl
          Last edited by KarlB; 11-18-2011, 06:35 PM.
          Karl in Sunny Southwest Florida

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
          X