First bookmark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First bookmark

I used poplar for this and planed it down as thin as my planer would go ...any suggestions on how to make it better?
    Attached Files

You will find that using hardwoods is frustrating as the thinner they get the more fragile/brittle they become. We (not all of us but the majority of us) typically make book marks Out of 1/16" plywood or even 1/32" ply and I order mine online. You can stack about 8-10 at a time and they are remarkably strong.

Yours turned out very nice how thick did it end up being?
    "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
    Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

got it just a hair under 1/8th

Comment

I am gonna get me some plywood , thanks for the advice!

Comment

Try sloans that is where I got the really thin stuff. Plywoods
          "Still Montana Mike"

Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Dang they are all sold out of 1/16 and 1/32...and thank you for the compliment!

E-mail them and ask when they expect a new supply. They may just need to update their site.
            Last edited by wood-n-things; 11-04-2011, 11:25 AM.

Comment

Try wildwood designs and I'll look through my receipts and see if I have gotten it elsewhere. I know I have just can't remember where I have several sheets in stock.

Start a new thread under wood & materials and use the title Where to buy thin plywood? 1/32" You will get more responses in short order...in your message inside the thread mention you are making book marks and that you have tried sloans already but they are out of stock.
              "Still Montana Mike"

Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

I grind stuff down with my belt and disk sander then use the hand held orbital and just grind em down. I get them to around 1/16". I have been using mesquite and grapefruit wood from the trees in my yard.
                I have used lots of stuff for book marks but find that my wood ones are much more satisfying.
                Pacifism is great, as long as everyone is participating.

StephenD

The Southern Arizona Woodturners Association
                Desert Woodcrafters
                Grandpa for the 7 most amazing children.

Comment

Stephen that is great but sure is a waste of wood (makes me cringe to sand down that much) LOL. But since it is out of your yard makes it a little more palatable.
                  "Still Montana Mike"

Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

You can get 1/32" plywood at craft stores like Michaels and Hobby Lobby.
                    Dan in So.Ca.

Comment

I make mine from 1'16" Baltic birch. Some box store maight have it. I got mine from a hobby shop.They sell a lot to makers who make little air planes.
                      FD Mike
                      SD Mike

Comment

A couple of things:

Definitely stack cut these as it makes it easier to cut.

You could get a bit thinner by using a piece of 3/4" plywood in your planer above your table. This should have a stop block on the bottom side to keep it from moving. You should also sand this with about 220 grit sandpaper.

Be careful with thin stock as planers can eat them up. (Ask me how I know! )

I've also used two pieces of wood veneer stuck together with double stick tape. (Thin stuff, not what you get at Home Depot or Wal Mart.) I haven't tried yellow glue yet, but I'm going to.

Karl
                        Karl in Sunny Southwest Florida

Comment

Thank you everyone for all the wonderful advice ..I have never tried stack cutting but I will here soon ! Thanks!!

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                          X