Hanging a pendulum clock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hanging a pendulum clock

I just recently made my first pendulum clock. It's not big....just about 13 inches high by 9 inches wide. For all you clock making people out there, whats the best type of hook to put on these clocks (saw tooth, triangle, etc)? From what I read, the clock has to be level and straight at all times for the pendulum to work. I don't want to use an improper hook and have problems with the movement. Thanks.

Sawdust

Which clock did you make? Every clock is a little different so if you can let us know which one or post a picture I'm sure you will get more ideas.
    Tim

In God we trust, all others must pay cash!

I don't want no bargains, they always cost me more money.

Comment

Something I like to do with larger items that need to hang level is to use 2 hangers. Either the sawtooth or the triangle ones work. I generally use the sawtooth ones where I don't want the mounting to show. It takes a little fussing to get the nails/screws spotted precisely on the wall for mounting, but since they are hidden by the piece, you can always tweak them a little and cover up any extra holes in the wall.

Problem with the triangle ones, at least the ones I use, is that if they are below the top of the piece, they are hard to get hooked on the wall, sometimes. If the triangles are above the top of the piece, it's easier to get them hooked and it's easier to mark the wall where it needs to hang level. Unfortunately they will show and that isn't always desireable.
      Homer : "Oh, and how is education supposed to make me feel smarter. Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain."

Comment

.I'v been doing pendulum clocks on and off for quite a few years..(all battry powered ). regaurdless of the power hand, weight or battery the biggest thing is to have them mounted so the pendulum has clearance on ALL sides and front to back...i generaly use the saw tooth type hanger...usually only one (depending on the weight of the clock.......i always put spacer at the bottom to keep everything parallel to the wall (no tilt front to rear...) the saw tooth allows adjustment side to side with out a bunch of extra work.....two hangers would have to be exactly even in height ...extra un-needed work in my opinion.

Comment

Might not need to be hung level, we have a clock that is weight driven and needs hang with the right hand side lower than the left or the pendulum won't swing properly

Comment

Tim, depends on the weight of the clock. 9 X 13 most likely is not very heavy, I would just use a sawtooth hanger. I have made a few larger ones with mechanical works, I just drilled a hole in the back board for hanging.
            Mick, - Delta P-20

A smile is a small curve that straightens everything out.

Comment

Thank you all for your responses. I guess what I was getting at was what Dave brought up. My concern was when you hang something, it generally hangs at a little bit of an angle due to the hook sticking out of the wall. I'll see how a saw tooth hanger goes and then if need be, put a spacer on the bottom so it hangs perfectly parallel to the wall as Dave mentioned. Thanks again.

Comment

What kind of movement are you using? By the size of the clock, I'm going to assume it's a quartz (battery) movement. The pendulum on those is purely ornamental, and the only thing necessary (as Dave said) is proper clearance around it. If it's a mechanical movement, then the pendulum is an integral part of keeping the clock running. One thing I've found over the years building clocks is that if you're measuring plumb and level by the clock case you may have to allow for the movement not being mounted exactly plumb and level IN the case. Set it up so that the case is level and then watch and listen. You may have to tweek it a bit to allow for how the movement is mounted in the case.

As far as the method of mounting, you don't need to over-engineer it on a clock that size. Depending on the design of the clock, you could use a sawtooth hanger or even a hole in the back of the case. Unless you live in an earthquake zone or have teenagers bouncing off the walls, the clock is going to stay level once you get it mounted. One thing I did with a cukoo clock I had that was a little difficult to get mounted was once it stayed running I put a small pencil mark at one corner as a reference in case I ever had to take it down. Then I knew exactly where to put it back up.

Hope this helps.
                Bruce
                . . . because each piece will be someone's heirloom someday.
                visit sometime
                Hawk 220VS, Delta 40-570

Comment

Thanks again everyone. I decided to use a sawtooth hanger. After hanging it up, even with it not being completely parallel to the wall, the pendulum works fine. I might put a spacer on the bottom as suggested just to make it look better but everything is working good.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                  X